PDA

View Full Version : Mark4 #2 303

fecmech
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
A friend has a chance to purchase on of these that has supposedly not seen military service along with 10 bandoleers of ammo. What are these worth retail roughly and how many rounds in a bandoleer? Any input would be appreciated. Nick

BruceB
03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Please, guys, try to get the terminology correct. All those blasted numbers, marks, stars etc. MEAN SOMETHING to those who are familiar with the Lee Enfield rifles.

It should be stamped right there on the rifle:

It's a NUMBER 4, MARK 1 or MARK 1*, or MARK 2, or MARK1/2....just as the earlier (WWI) version was NUMBER ONE, MARK THREE.

Have pity on those of us who instantly get bumfoozled when the rifle being described is either non-existent or else incorrectly identified...(Phew...now I feel better)

All this was brought on because this is the second mis-identified .303 right here on this Board in just the last day or two.

Red River Rick
03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Bruce:

You have to calm down..................watch your BP (blood pressure, not black powder)!

Some just don't know!

RRR

fecmech
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Bruce--I know from squat about these guns and was only repeating what my friend had told me over the phone and he had not seen the gun as yet. As it turns out he ran into the fellow selling it at the gunshop about an hour ago. They would only give him $200. for the gun, new scope mount, 150 rds of 303 and some .308 ammo in a sealed pack. My buddy offered him $250 and bought it all so my original question is moot. Sorry to get you all worked up Bruce.

It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2
It's a Number 4 Mark 2

Got it now Bruce!!

BruceB
03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Sheesh...I didn't think I wuz all worked-up about it. At this late date, I've seen the problem thousands of times, I'm sure. (My "BP" is just fine.) Sorry to give the wrong impression.

More importantly. what is the rifle's condition? The military ammo adds some value, too, but I think it might be a financial mistake to shoot it. The collector market for ammunition seems to be improving every day. The total price seems very attractive.

Shooter
03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Sheesh...I didn't think I wuz all worked-up about it. At this late date, I've seen the problem thousands of times, I'm sure. (My "BP" is just fine.) Sorry to give the wrong impression.

More importantly. what is the rifle's condition? The military ammo adds some value, too, but I think it might be a financial mistake to shoot it. The collector market for ammunition seems to be improving every day. The total price seems very attractive.

Gosh Bruce! That would be like marrying ( insert name of current hottie ) and never consumating the union.

Save the ammo if collectable, but give the gal a roll at the range.:-P

leadman
03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I think your friend did very well if the gun is in very good condition. I have one of these made in 1954 (I think) and it is a great gun.

If he decides to shoot cast slugging the bore would be a good thing to do. These later guns seem to have a bore size that is more consistent. I had another that I sold and it and the one I kept shot great with a .313" boolit.

Crash_Corrigan
03-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I have a 303 Enfield. It is a No 4 Mark 3 made in Longbranch in 1945. I found it at a Garage Sale for a song. It came with a sporterized stock but the action is slick and the barrel it a two groover and seems almost unfired.

I made up some rounds using a .313 dia cast boolits and when fired they patterned like a shotgun at 25 yds. Most missed the paper and those that impacted were all pretty much hitting sideways. I would make a dandy home defense shotgun type rifle if you confined your targets at 10 yds or so.

Imagain my non surprise when I cerrosafed the chamber and the first inch of the barrel beyond the chamber and found the freebore to be at .3165 to .317 in diameter.

Somewhere in this trailer is a groub buy mold that casts a .314 boolit I belive. But along with my CRKT folder and a few other goodies it is hiding from me.

When I find it I will see what my alloy metal casts in that mold and if it is close to the .316 diameter I should be golden. If it cast closer to .314 then I will need to take steps to increase the girth of my boolits either by beageling the mold or changing the alloy.

218bee
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
sounds like a good deal to me

bowfin
03-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Most likely it was one of the Irish ones imported 15 years ago, or thereabouts. They were in unissued condition, and were $149.95. Now, they go for $500 easy in the same condition, without the ammo.

higgins
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
50 rounds in a full bandolier, which would include 10 chargers (clips) worth about a buck apiece. If you and your friend are new to military rifles, particularly Enfields, I'll repeat my oft-posted advice about surplus .303 ammo; assume it's corrosive and clean accordingly, regardless what the seller tells you. I've often seen sellers who passed on corrosive ammo as noncorrosive, either through not knowing better or lying. I have also seen many Enfields that were beautiful rifles on the outside that had ruined bores because they were not cleaned properly after firing corrosive surplus ammo. I've seen corrosive and non-corrosive mixed in the same charger. There is some noncorrosive surplus .303 out there, but until your friend gets well-educated on which surplus .303 is corrosive he should treat it all as corrosive. I've shot a lot of corrosive .303 and 54R and no discernable harm will be done if the rifle is properly cleaned very soon after shooting. Having said all this, I have a Mk2 that was unissued when I bought it, and I don't shoot corrosive surplus in it; I shoot it in another Mk2 that's in more worn condition.