PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube Die ???????

BIG A972
03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Has anyone used them.....I was thinking about getting one for my turret press.

Here is my concern Will the lube affect the powder? I would like to use this in a turret set up I would plan on cleaning the lube off after the round is done but still new to the addiction (reloading). This would be for plinking ammo .223.

Here is the set up I am thinking about
1. Rcbs Lube die
2. Rcbs AR .223 die Resize and primer
3. Powder
4. Seat and Crimp die.

Any thoughts?

winelover
03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I use the RCBS lube die for 308 class of cartridges and like it. I don't use it in a turret. Mine is set up in a single stage and I resize all cases and then tumble clean before I continue reloading. They do tend to drip if you apply too much lube.

Winelover

Sprue
03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Basically there is no difference between Lyman and RCBS lube dies as far as function. In fact I prefer Lyman as they cost less and the older Lyman dies have 4 rows of holes. That makes setup to any given boolit design easier. You plug the unused holes (either brand) with a #5 or #6 shotgun shot or a piece of lead. When you plug the extra holes make sure that the center pin of the die is in the die prior to tapping or plugging holes. Unless you're a "Green" phonetic you will probably go Orange. ($$$)

The RCBS of course would have a better warranty should you break or render it defective but I don't see how a person (other than my brother) could damage one.

I prefer to seat and crimp in two separate stages.

Thats it in a nut shell..........

winelover
03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Basically there is no difference between Lyman and RCBS lube dies as far as function. In fact I prefer Lyman as they cost less and the older Lyman dies have 4 rows of holes. That makes setup to any given boolit design easier. You plug the unused holes (either brand) with a #5 or #6 shotgun shot or a piece of lead. When you plug the extra holes make sure that the center pin of the die is in the die prior to tapping or plugging holes. Unless you're a "Green" phonetic you will probably go Orange. ($$$)

The RCBS of course would have a better warranty should you break or render it defective but I don't see how a person (other than my brother) could damage one.

I prefer to seat and crimp in two separate stages.

Thats it in a nut shell..........

Sprue: I think your confusing a Lubricator Sizing Die with a Case Lube Die which is what the OP is asking about.

Winelover

Sprue
03-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Sprue: I think your confusing a Lubricator Sizing Die with a Case Lube Die which is what the OP is asking about.

Winelover

Well, you got me there. I've never heard of such a beast. As you know ya learn something everyday on this board.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll stick with my wooden case holder and home brewed spray case lube.

Drinks on you ???? ;)

cheese1566
03-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I use one in my progressive presses for 223 loading. I like it. A case lube pad will do the same, but the lube die will keep your fingers somewhat cleaner for gripping bullets, etc...

But like the above said, it will oooze if too much is filled. This usually occurs in storage and on the first few rounds when taken out of storage. Place a empty casing in it and place it in the box for storage. Be sure to use RCBS Case Lube 2 as it is the right viscosity for this special die and felt ring inside of it.

When the round is ejected from the shellholder, I give it a quick wipe and inspection. Extra step, but I feel safer that tumbling live rounds.

Lately I have been sizing, trimming, and case prepping during the winter months alone from loading. Then I throw them in the tumbler for cleaning off the lube and final polish. Then into a vacuum sealer bag for later loading.

noylj
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Cute toy, but it seems your proposed set-up is about the only way to use such a die efficently.
I just stick with the lube pad or spray lube. The application of "just-enough" lube allows the cases to be shot as-is unless you are shooting max loads.