PDA

View Full Version : No taper on the leade (instead of "no throat")

Longwood
03-21-2011, 01:30 AM
I asked about this a couple of days back but used the wrong nomenclature. My leade is sharp and not tapered for paper patch bullets. As near as I can tell, it should be. any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
I would like to try a reamer if anyone has one for sale or for rent.
Thanks
LS

pdawg_shooter
03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
A throating reamer with a 11* leade taper will do what you need.

Nobade
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
You may not need it. My Marlin 1895 has a SAAMI spec chamber, which is a 45 deg. bevel at the end of the case and no leade at all. Patches have to barely stick out of the case, but it is extremely accurate with paper patch bullets and smokeless powder. I don't size the fired cases, and use the powder to place the base of the bullet so that the patch just starts to engrave the rifling with thumb pressure, maybe .050" before the case is fully seated. I use a light taper crimp to hold the bullet in place, but no neck tension. If I really want some power I can drop tube the powder into the case, and get a lot more to fit than normally would.

Now keep in mind this is with smokeless powder. I see you have posted on the black powder room too, and the techniques and bullets used with black are totally different than what you use with smokeless. Don't get the two confused, you will get nothing but frustration.

Longwood
03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Allright!
Looks like I am gaining on this.
I am not even sure yet how my chamber is but because the patch catches and gets pushed back instead of print in the rifling, I suspect it has a very sharp taper if any at all. I am going to shoot the rifle today, since the wind quit blowing and it is 76 degrees out, with a patch that is only 1/8" from the case mouth to see if it will shoot OK. The patched bullet I am using could very well be my problem, it looks very much like the originals.
I want to shoot both types of bullets, PP and lubed, and even both types of powder and have 3 mold now and a new mold coming and am going to make a money bullet type mold tomorrow if I can grind a good enough reamer and I think I can.
I am a stickler for accuracy and will PP every bullet if need be. I'll just let my friends shoot what I can't hit anything with. ;-) Can't let em out shoot me with my own gun!
I asked on both sites to get some feedback on whether or not I need the taper and am still getting info which is gratefully accepted BTW.
Larry Gibson is sending me a reamer that he used for his Mauser and I am going to check it out and will most likely use it.
I own a Ultralight plane that I fly often and while talking to another pilot yesterday about his latest building project, he agreed with me that it would be terrible without the internet. How sweet it is!
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP EVERONE.

Longwood
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Larry Gibson sold me a reamer and I now have a nice tapered lead that lets a PP bullet chamber beautifully.
Thanks muchly Larry.