PDA

View Full Version : Customizable top punches by theperfessor

imashooter2
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I recently won a site support auction for these top punches made by theperfessor. Shown in the picture are three each .44/.45 and .35 diameter with a standard Lyman punch in the center:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29953&d=1298766853 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29954&d=1298766878

They fit perfectly in the three Lyman 45s and two 450's that I tried them in. The O-ring holds the punch securely, but still allows them to be inserted and removed without tools. So far I've only fit one to replace the aluminum punch that came with an NOE 360-180-RF mold. The large meplat on this boolit made for very thin walls on the original and it "blew out" on a boolit that got started a little cocked. The steel walls on theperfessor's punch has proven much more durable. The system works great and I highly recommend them.

I haven't seen him offer these for general sale, but perhaps with enough requests...

walltube
04-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I have bought two examples. They are a joy to use. What had become an increasingly frustrating chore inserting a "G" into the difficult (for me) to see and locate Herter lube-sizer top punch shank hole, is now a happier event. Easy in, easy to extract without dropping it to the floor. Most times anyway.

Where these punches really shine is with Al Nelson's fine gas check seater and shank tool. No more removing Al's device from a press to exchange one punch for another. Push one in and pull it out when done. They stay put. The "O" ring feature rules! A loss of dexterity often caused me anguish with use of the small Allen wrench; another unwelcome event. No more of that, the "O" ring is my hero.

There is more: a pointy nose Lyman 308329 now has its very own top punch. Thanks to Mr. B's engineering foresight and 2-part epoxy, the 308329 no longer suffers the ignominy of a disfigured pointy nose. Smirky looks from those VLD condom snobs are coming to end.

As a guy that has lost a degree of dexterity and feel in my hands and finger tips, I cannot praise Perfesser's t'punch enough.

Yours to the last wheel weight,
Harold

04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm a satisfied customer, too. So far, the trial usage of hot melt glue works so well I may not replace it with epoxy.