PDA

View Full Version : M95 Styer crimp problem

wallenba
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Guys, I'm having a problem with seating my boolit out farther in my M95. I'm using a Lee C329-205-1R that is enlarged to size at .334. A Hornady chamber length gage tells me it can have a 3.055 OAL. I just want to try crimping above the middle band. What happens though is, the crimper in the seating die (Lee) catches the top driving band and seats the boolit back down to the top band even with the seater out. I tried reaming it with a .335 reamer. The same one I used to ruin my first C329 mold attempting to remove G/C shank. It won't cut it (knew it, but tried anyway). Question; will an RCBS seater do the same thing? I will spend the money if it will work, just don't want to waste the money.:veryconfu

abunaitoo
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Lee dies are easy to mod for cast boolets.
I made a 8x56r crimp die out of a 8x57.
Same with the seating die.
I got the Lee 8x56r set and opened it up untill the boolet would fit.
Die would not crimp anymore.
That's why I made the crimp die.
Looking to make a neck size die for 8x56r out of a 8x57 collet die and a .338 mandrel.
Holding off because Lee doesn't sell the 8x57 collet die by itself.
Have to buy the whole set.

wallenba
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
We must think alike Abunaitoo. I laid in bed a couple of nights ago, got up at 2 AM and looked at Lee die parts on their web site. I realized that the Lee rifle Factory crimp dies were available in short and medium bodies, but all the die bodies have the same internal dimensions. So I ordered a collet for a .338 Winchester FCD and a medium die body direct from Lee Precision, that's the only way to get the individual parts. I will have to cut off a bit off the bottom of the collet to make it short enough for the 8x56r to get to the crimper though. Parts have not arrived yet, but I think this will work. Die body was $8, collet was $9.

wallenba
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Abunaito, PM sent.

abunaitoo
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Did you remember to order the mandrel????

I'll probably just order the parts from Lee like you did.

abunaitoo
03-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Was just checking on price of the whole die set as oppose to all the parts needed.
Cheaper to just get the set.
Still have to order some parts from Lee so I'll get the .338 collet and mandrel alone.
This is fun.

wallenba
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Was just checking on price of the whole die set as oppose to all the parts needed.
Cheaper to just get the set.
Still have to order some parts from Lee so I'll get the .338 collet and mandrel alone.
This is fun.

The factory crimp die consists of just a die body and a collet. I think you are thinking of the seater/crimp die. The FCD crimp only die is like this http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Factory-Crimp-Die/ is what I'm working on making.

Here are both parts, but the 338 Win die body is too long for the 8x56r, so a short or medium body die is needed. http://leeprecision.com/xcart/FACT-CRIMP-DIE-338-PARTS/ You can see that the collet has enough material below the slots to allow it to be shortened enough.

Wayne Smith
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I sent my seater to Lee with a few boolits and asked them to open up the seater die. After an exchange of e-mails with Bill they did.

wallenba
03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I sent my seater to Lee with a few boolits and asked them to open up the seater die. After an exchange of e-mails with Bill they did.

I got the parts in the mail this morning and made the FCD. Here's the link to a new post. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111069

abunaitoo
03-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry. Brain freeze.
Post is about crimp die and I'm posting about a neck size die.
Just getting old.