PDA

View Full Version : EAA Double Rifle

lbaize3
03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Has anyone heard about the new EAA double rifle in 30-06 and 45-70? I saw a few for sale on Guns America several weeks ago. Retail is around $990, but asking price seems to be anywhere from $758 and up.

I really do want one in 45-70...and maybe one in 30-06.

Check it out and tell me what you think....

http://www.eaacorp.com/pdfs/guns/BaikalMP221.pdf

elk hunter
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
They have been around for several years, Remington does or at least did sell this same gun under their name. I have one in 45-70, it is shootable, but clunky. Several guys on another forum have them and like them and have gotten them to shoot quite well. I've given some thought to making up proper ribs and sights and regulating mine in the traditional way and doing something with the less than beautiful stock, but then I would have a lot of time and more money in a gun worth no more and possibly less than I paid for it. Bottom line, they're a very inexpensive, one might say cheap, way to get into a shootable if not elegant double rifle. Just don't expect a Holland & Holland when you open the box.

HARRYMPOPE
03-21-2011, 02:24 AM
elk hunter does the rifle regulate resonably well or is it a total bust?

HMP

elk hunter
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
elk hunter does the rifle regulate resonably well or is it a total bust?

HMP

I haven't shot it more than 20 rounds and haven't taken the time to try to regulate it. As it is the barrels shoot apart both horizontally and vertically. There is a spreader bar between the barrels ahead of the forearm for horizontal regulation and I'm reasonably sure I could tweak it to shoot together at say fifty or seventy-five yards, just haven't had the time or inclination to do it. Several guys on the "Accurate Reloading" site have had good luck getting them to shoot reasonably well.

seppos
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Baikal Artemida as it is called..
Possible to regulate quite well..
28mm from 100 meters.
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/seppos_photos/1225101203.jpg
Dont remember the load that I used as it was couple of years ago..
Sorry about the bad pic.. It was taken with my old mobile.

S

HARRYMPOPE
03-22-2011, 01:26 AM
I had a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 about 15 years back and it was a total failure at regulating barrels and had no "spreader bar" to adjust them.The best it did was 3" apart at 25 yards and got worse from there.A friend who owned some fine English doubles told me to just save my money and stay away from the cheap side by sides.Problem is his inexpensive ones were $8-$10,000 !!

HMP

AkMike
03-22-2011, 02:44 AM
I've shot a freinds `06 Baikal here and with some trigger work and careful adjustments to the regulation adjustments they are very accurate DR's. (Think 2" groups at 50 yds offhand easily.)

BUT the stock trigger adjustment is very heavy. It needs to be 4# on the front and just a shade less in the back.

The stocks need some rasp work but you won't shudder to think of doing it yourself because they're so cheap priced.

These will make a very good entry level DR for brush busting.

lbaize3
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I still want one of the 45-70 double rifles. I have no problem with providing the work to make it a better gun. Trigger jobs, stock work, regulating the barrels.... really not a big problem for me. Being retired gives me a bunch of time. Having a gunsmith as a great friend gives me the expertise for all the work. To be honest, I have always wanted a double rifle and the EAA gives me the chance to get a starter at a fair price. The only animals I will shoot with it will probably be deer and hogs. Of course there is the occasional cotton tail. You know if those things charge there is nothing better to have in your hands than a double rifle:Fire:

HARRYMPOPE
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
"You know if those things charge there is nothing better to have in your hands than a double rifle"

i still have scars from one cottontail the hounds cornered back in 1982.Wasn't a pretty sight! Seriously...... a pal has a 32-20 double he built on a 410 shotgun i would love to have for a bunny gun.

HMP

leftiye
03-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Boy, thas "Africanization" if such was ever seen. Double rifle fer cottontails LOL! Thot ah had seen everything.

Doc Highwall
03-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I had a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 that would keep both shots at 200 yards on a clay pigeon with one tang sight. I used Lyman's 575513 with Elephant powder. I traded it at Kittery Trading Post for a Leupold scope.

KCSO
03-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I have handled and shot two of them so far and if you are a fan of traditional double guns you will be disappointed. Quality control is like Taurus some are really goo and some are not so good. The sights are at best clunky and the stocks harken back to a fence post. Since I get to handle a lot of fine english doubles I am somewhat more picky about what i like than some.

Bullshop
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
We orderd one for a customer and the comb on the fence post stock was so high it was impossible to use the sights.

Greg in Malad
03-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Another option is the Sabatti double 45/70. I picked one up this morning at Cabelas, and while it isn't a Rigby, it isn't bad. It's regulated to 1.5"@50 yds, basically it shoots a figure 8 shaped group. The triggers are a bit heavy but a trip to a good smith will fix that. I took it shooting today and was glad I had a bunch of ammo because everybody wanted to shoot it. Now I need to find some ill tempered rabbits that need delt with.

AkMike
03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Greg, look closely at the muzzles and see if they are crowned properly. There has been reports that they have been 'regulated' with a dremmel to shoot to point of aim.
Basicly don't trust the factory target. It might be a bit off...

9.3X62AL
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
That DR in 32-20 WCF would be a ton of fun, for certain. Rogue cottontails can have their moments, but you haven't lived until you've faced down The California Black-Tailed Jackrabbit. Hot August afternoons.......jumping them off the marijuana grow sites where they graze themselves into a Moro warrior-like frenzy, and attack the unwary brushlands traveler. Fine sport, indeed.

DO NOT--I repeat, DO NOT carry Doritos on any such foray. If the jacks smell snack food, they will attack en masse. Only something belt-fed will save you under such circumstances.

Greg in Malad
03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I have been charged by an Idaho blacktail jack. A friend made a bad hit with his .458 and the rabbit charged me, unlucky for him, he veered at the last minute and ran into a 500 grain flat point from my 45/70. It's a good thing I didn't have any Doritos on me!

Mike,
The muzzles look fine. I shot it again this morning and it really likes the 300 grain RCBS bullet. With 14 gr. of trail boss it shoots both barrels into 2"@50 yds and with 20 gr. of 2400 it is perfectly regulated for windage at 100 yds. One barrel hits 3" higher than the other which makes a 6" figure 8 shape group. After the triggers are fixed it should do better.

AkMike
03-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Sounds good for plinking loads..

What's it do with a fullhouse load?

Two of my 450 NE's love 96 grns of IMR 4831
The 100 yr + old 500/450 loves 102 grns of IMR4831 all with 450 grn / 500grn boolits.

This is just your first one.. There will be more to come!

waksupi
03-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Al has terrified me. I will never be able to get near a stoned gopher again.

Greg in Malad
04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Mike,
I will probably never shoot a full power load in it. It will kill deer and rabbits just fine with light loads. I'm already planning a way to afford a Merkel. If I work 80 hrs a week and stop buying food, maybe by 2025.

AkMike
04-02-2011, 01:45 AM
LMAO,, Save time and get a Chapuis 9.3X74! IIRC those were reguated with 300 grn.. it'll be a piece of cake..

Tomarrow we're shooting 600's down to the 9.3.. Stop by and have some fun.

Greg in Malad
04-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I googled chapuis and found a round frame 30-30 that really made me drool. How does the chapuis compare to the merkel? My sabatti will make a nice plinker and rabbit shooter but I would like to get a nice small bore double. I wish I were close enough to stop by and try out some rifles, if I fired a .600 in Idaho you could probably hear me screaming from Alaska.

elk hunter
04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I googled chapuis and found a round frame 30-30 that really made me drool. How does the chapuis compare to the merkel? My sabatti will make a nice plinker and rabbit shooter but I would like to get a nice small bore double. I wish I were close enough to stop by and try out some rifles, if I fired a .600 in Idaho you could probably hear me screaming from Alaska.

The Chapuis is a very nice rifle and an excellent value for the money. Good wood and wood to metal fit, metal finish is excellent, engraving is OK, done by laser I think, regulation is very good, you can mount a scope on them which is a plus for those of us with aging eyes, on the models that have them, their ejectors work well.

I've seen and handled Merkels, they're just too German for my taste, well made, but not my cup of tea.

I attached a picture of my Chapuis 9.3x74, if you get to Central Oregon and I'm available, you are welcome to shoot it. If I still have it you can shoot the Remington 45-70 double too.

AkMike
04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Elk Hunter nailed it right on about the Chapuis! A very nice rifle.

Here's mine. It's got some very nice wood on it as well.

I shot the 10 pound 600 yesterday and you should have heard me after I touched off the full boogie nitro round.. 150 grains of IMR 4831 and a 900 grain Woody. I did manage to catch it before it hit the ground though..

I have found my upper limits now.

EDIT; If you like the Sabatti, think about getting it's twin in 9.3X74R much less than the Chapuis.

Greg in Malad
04-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Elk Hunter, if I get to Oregon this year i'll see if you're home.

Mike, I'm not sure what a .600 nitro scream sounds like, probably like a grizz in labor.
The sabbati is adequate for what i'm using it for but I would like to get a nicer rifle next time. I have plenty of time to research the next rifle, it will take a year of overtime to get it.

Artful
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
"You know if those things charge there is nothing better to have in your hands than a double rifle"

i still have scars from one cottontail the hounds cornered back in 1982.Wasn't a pretty sight!

So was it VISA, Discover, Master Card or American Express? :lol:

See if you can get particaulars on that 410 to 32-20 conversion - pictures would be nice. I'm thinking 357 max for them jackalopes.

http://images.wikia.com/reddeadredemption/images/5/59/Rdr_jackalope_run.jpg

pls1911
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok, Harrypope, you've stirred a serious interest here...
Go "borrow" your bud's double rifle bunny gun, and provide the forum the the details.
I was getting ready to start collecting parts for a rook rifle until I read that business about your buddy's gun.
Photos and parts and sources would be very much appreciated.

sojerguy
04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
O/U setup. Screw set sliding wedge between the barrels for verticle dispersion adjustment, screw set bar on the business end of the barrel set for horizontal adjustments,

Comes in (or mine did) 9.3x74/9.3x74 O/U, 06/06 O/U and 06/12ga O/U. have seen ads for 308/308 O/U. 243x.243 and a misc others as well.

Looks and hefts nicely.

rockrat
04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
On another forum (yes, there is actually another one!!), someone had a used Chapuis 9.3 x 74R DR for $4K and I know where there is a Valmet 412 in 9.3 x 74R for $1,200 if you are interested.

hornsurgeon
04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
O/U setup. Screw set sliding wedge between the barrels for verticle dispersion adjustment, screw set bar on the business end of the barrel set for horizontal adjustments,

Comes in (or mine did) 9.3x74/9.3x74 O/U, 06/06 O/U and 06/12ga O/U. have seen ads for 308/308 O/U. 243x.243 and a misc others as well.

Looks and hefts nicely.

gander mountain here had one in 308/300win mag. it was chambered in that from the factory.

thehouseproduct
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
If you want the best, read through this. Makes 99.9% of all guns ugly afterward.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/3761057511