PDA

View Full Version : Krag fun!

madsenshooter
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I took my parkerized Krag a ride yesterday, went to Ypsilanti, MI and shot alongside some cast bullet benchrest shooters. Had a great time. Even got to talk to an 89 year old gentleman who knew Don Eagan, the fellow who made the mold for the bullet I was shooting. I won my class, by default, I was the only one shooting a military rifle. My load was 28gr of SPP-210, a Swiss made 4198 equivalent under the Eagan MX3-30AR. Velocity was 2168fps. Here's a shot of my best target for the day, a 97-4X. Shot a couple 8s and a 7 on the next target, and I'm not going to talk about the 200yd targets. You should see the custom cannons those benchrest shooters use, and the itty bitty groups they get! My Krag had a 6x LER scope on it. The club is the Washtenaw Sportmen's Club. They have a cast match each month through October. It's mostly a fun day, you can shoot whatever rifle with whatever bullet. The $15 entry fee includes a hot dog lunch. Next match is the 14th of April, a Thursday. I'm going to try to get my 6x45 AR to shoot cast between now and then. http://www.washtenawsportsmansclub.org/:lovebooli

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Support your local club matches! Especially cast bullet ones!

Nice target.

Rich

madsenshooter
03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
You got it right Phineas. Not bad at all for a 115 year rifle wearing a $30 scope, I'm proud of her. The day before the match, I shot a 5 shot 100 yd group that was about 1/2". All touching, 2/5 nearly through the same hole. That was with a hot barrel, the benchresters take breaks between strings and clean their barrels, so my barrel was often cool when I shot the record string. The string above was just the temp she likes. I think if I thin the tabs of the sling swivels so I can get the bands good and tight, it'll alleviate some of that temperature sensitivity. Worked on one of my other Krags.

Bob S
03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Bob,

Well done!

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
03-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Thank you Bob, that means a lot coming from such an accomplished shooter. I had already cut on the tabs some Phineas, just didn't finish the job. The stacking swivel is still tight before the band gets all the way tight. I got tired of taking it off and trying it.