PDA

View Full Version : My new hog gun

daddywpb
03-20-2011, 12:00 PM
My wife gave me this Boddington Lion edition #1 in .375 Ruger about a year ago. It quickly became my favorite rifle. It's lightweight, compact and a dream to carry in the thick stuff where hogs like to hide around here. I just got the scope on it - haven't shot it yet with the scope. It's a 1.5x5x20 Leupold. Now it LOOKS like a DG rifle. Just carrying it fuels my imagination and fantasies of Zambezi Valley elephant bulls and cape buffalo. It'll never happen, but I'm not to old to dream, right?
Steve

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1076/twins019.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/twins019.jpg/)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2134/twins016.th.jpg (http://img192.imageshack.us/i/twins016.jpg/)

mattbowen
03-20-2011, 04:13 PM
daddywpd;

Looks nice, never give up the dream.

lbaize3
03-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I purchased a Ruger #1 in 45-70 over a month ago. Mounted a Redfield 2X7 on it. Have not been able to make it to the range to sight it in or shoot it yet. But I do take it out of the safe and simply hold it. Visions of feral hogs tumbling during a full run to African game meeting their demise become the stuff of major daydreams. I doubt I will ever get to Africa, unless the Texas Lottery numbers match my quick picks. But I sure do enjoy thinking about it. Feral hogs, on the other hand, should hide deep in the brush if they see me and my Ruger moving about.

coaldust
03-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Darn fine looking rifle

KILLERtj
03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Great looking #1!!! They handle great and are a blast to shoot. Enjoy

KILLERtj

Swede44mag
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Congrats that must be some wife.

I bought a Marlin Lever Evolution 45-70 cause I thought I had a chance to go hog huntin but it fizzled out. I have often thought in buying a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

I did have a #1 years ago in 22-205 it sure was purty.

Have you ever thought about a 416?

Intel6
03-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a Ruger #1H Tropical chanbered in .460 Weatherby Magnum. Do I honestly think that I eill ever get to shoot anything with what the cartrigde was intened for? No but it is still fun!

white eagle
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I had one just like that very rifle in my hands
WOW !!!!! just a beautiful rifle
would love to be the owner of one
great wife and nice choice

Shooter6br
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Love my Ruger in 45-70[smilie=w:

daddywpb
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM

I bought a Marlin Lever Evolution 45-70 cause I thought I had a chance to go hog huntin but it fizzled out. I have often thought in buying a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

My wife, surely a keeper, also bought me a Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun four years ago for our anniversary. It has been my hog gun since then, until the .375 came along. When I got the 45/70. she said that it was to "keep me from being out all night tracking wounded hogs". A huntin' buddy and I spent an allnighter in a local WMA looking for a hog that he ahd hit too far back with a .308. We found it, after a five hour search in water and mud up to our knees, about as far as he could get up into a palmetto thicket, half buried in the mud from a constant, miserable rain. That's when you find out who your REAL hunting buds are! We never thought of giving up the search. We knew he was close - just couldn't find him. I like the .375 even more, even though the .45/70 has some great stories tied to it. The #1 is lighter, shorter overall, and easier to carry in the thick stuff. That being said, the 45/70 will always be a favorite "brush buster" cartridge, and puts even big hogs down with authority - for keeps. I've never had one take a step when hit with the Guide Gun.

I did look at .416's when I was in the process of deciding what I wanted. It was a Ruger M77 Safari Mag, and quite possibly the most beautiful rifle I've ever been close to buying - beautiful piece of wood and deep, rich bluing. The kind of stuff that riflemen have a real hard time walking away from. What pushed me away was the weight and length of it. It's made for walking up on elephants or buffalo, not crawling thru mud to get the drop on a big hog. It was just too big and heavy, but, like I said, absolutely a beautiful piece of gunmakers art.

The #1 Tropical in 460 Weatherby was also on my list, but I just couldn't locate one at the time. I only saw pictures - never saw one to actually hold. The Tropical is just a very "classy" DG rifle. One of the best.

NHlever
03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Though not in the same league at all caliber wise, I handled a Ruger No.1A in .35 Whelen the other day and was really surprised how light it was. They are using the same barrel contour on those that they use on the 30-06 guns. It is more gun than I need around here, but it sure was tempting, and would make a great cast boolit deer rifle........... so don't keep tempting me like this!

WildmanJack
03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
DaddyWPB, wer u lookin for that hog out in the Corbit area??? Back a million yrs ago I used to hunt there, but too many crazies started finding the place... ( No offence)
Jack

daddywpb
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Jack,
Yep! Corbett, Hungryland, Dupuis and Allapatta are the places I go. Out of the four, Corbett is my least favorite. You're right about the crazies. I never go out there for opening weekend of any season - too crowded, too many people who can't follow the rules and, because the FWC in their infinite wisdom decided to allow alcohol in the campsites, too many drunks. Rednecks, firearms and alcohol - what could go wrong? Thanks FWC! Dupuis is my favorite.
Steve

WildmanJack
03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
R U kidding me??? Man that's just plain stupid.. I used to hunt there back int he 70's when it was a little sane, but then we could shoot dove in Royal Palm Beach cause ther were no houses LOL.. Glad I moved from there better than 10 yrs. ago. Retired from P.B. Co. F.R. in 2001 but lived int he Keys for a good while before retiring. Living over there I sure hope u have a CCW, ur gonna need it!!! The gangs are gettin way to strong..
Be careful..
jack

saidnuff
04-03-2011, 03:05 AM
The one thing about Ruger they know how to make a great gun. I've never had a bad one. The #1 is one of those great guns that would never sell. It even looks great.

daddywpb
04-03-2011, 06:30 PM

She certainly IS some kinda wife. She puts up with my passions. I would love to have a M77 Hawkeye African in .416 Ruger. If they aren't out yet, they will be soon. Followed closely, I would bet, by the .458 Ruger!

The number 1 is a classic, elegant rifle in any caliber.

steg
04-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Odd man out here, Mines a #3 45/70, a Limbsaver pad really tamed it down, now it kind of bounces off your shoulder, before that about six rounds of 500 grainers, and bring out the other gun you brought, LOL......steg

daddywpb
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I tried to find a prefit pad for it. I tried Limbsavers and Decelerators. But, the prefit pads didn't fit my stock, at least not well enough to satisfy me. So, I'm shooting it as it came. If Boddington can do it, then so can I!:happy dance:

I got the scope sighted in last weekend. It shoots great, eye releif is good for me, even though I have to lean a bit at 5x, and my groups at 50 yards shrunk to about 1 1/2" - 2" off my sticks. That little 20mm objective really sucks in some light and is crystal clear. I'm happy with it.

white eagle
04-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I've got two #1's
one in 22o swift a.i.
the other a 25-06 rem.
I truly think it has the looks dept cornered as well
they are without a doubt one of the more classy rifles out there

hansumtoad
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Beautiful rifle there, Steve. Ruger #1's are about as good as they get for single shots... affordable and versatile out the wazoo.

But do you REALLY want to take one to Africa, regardless of the caliber, and get "up close and personal" with a Cape Buffalo, Hippo, or a Lion? On your terms all is well. On their terms....another matter entirely. Sure, there's a PH undoubably close by, but you'ld better be able to take care of business all by your lonesome if need be. Been there and had to do that. Don't particularly want to do that again.

It sure is hard to get those really big cartridges into the chamber, which is getting miniscule by the instant, when you only have a couple of seconds with a faceful of something intent on reducing you to so much edible protein or a puddle of goo in the dirt.

I still love #1 rifles. But they don't make one big enough for a one shot stopper for all situations. I need some more coffee. Just too cranky this morning.

myfriendis410
04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I too own a Ruger No. 1 in 7mm rem mag. I've come to find out it's a somewhat unusual caliber for that rifle; not many were made. It's a great shooter and I've killed over a dozen hogs with it. You pull it out of the case and the "cool" factor goes right up. My personal favorite long gun is my Sharps 45/70 and it has done a fine job of putting pork in the reefer. That one REALLY raises the "cool" factor when it comes out......

daddywpb
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Beautiful rifle there, Steve. Ruger #1's are about as good as they get for single shots... affordable and versatile out the wazoo.

But do you REALLY want to take one to Africa, regardless of the caliber, and get "up close and personal" with a Cape Buffalo, Hippo, or a Lion? .

To answer you're question very simply - YES! I actually practice reloading it quickly regularly, since it is my primary hunting gun, and I've gotten pretty good at it. I'm an avid "watcher" of anything African on TV, and I've seen hunters taking on all sorts of dangerous game with single shot rifles, mostly the #1. It is possible to reload it very quickly if you take the time to learn.

I thought about a Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in the same .375 Ruger caliber, and spent a lot of time fondling and drooling over one at our local Gander Mountain store, but the handling qualities that I love about the #1 just weren't there. The caliber has proven itself over and over again against the most dangerous game on earth, and I've seen many one shot stops on cape buffalo and elephant, given proper bullet placement of course.

I don't have any practical experience on elephants, but I'd sure love to get some one day before I cash in, and I'd be very comfortable with the #1 in my hands. When the moment of truth comes along, all of the practice and dry firing and reloading drills will pay off ten fold, because when shooting under stress, regardless of the situation, you always fall back on skills learned in training and practice. And I can only imagine the feeling of the adrenaline rush when you're standing face to face with a big bull elephant. Some people don't like it, some people thrive on it - thankfully, I'm in the later group.

part_timer
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I've only one #1 and it's in 416 rem mag. Lots of fun and will bring tears to your eyes if you push it to the top end.

pls1911
04-24-2011, 11:02 PM
A # 1 in either a .416 Remington or 45/70 will bring tears to your eyes when it's pushed upwards.... same with a Browning falling block
I'll reach my limit long before the rifle does in either caliber.

I confess though, that after the first few rounds with the RCBS .416 bullet, the stock split at the wrist. The factory returned the piece with an unbelieveably beautiful wood set.... actually too pretty to consider taking back to the range... I've not shot it again.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh, those sweet #1s.

Now all you folks need to do is get rid of that ugly Alexander Henry forearm tip and replace it with a way cool piece of contrasting walnut or ebony!!!!!!

Now, that makes em Waaaaaaaaaaaaay Cool! YES!! [smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot