PDA

View Full Version : 38spl jackets+ education

beladran
03-20-2011, 09:39 AM
hello guys im a complete nube to swaging. I have been told you can make 38spl jackets from 380 and 9mm cases. My first question is can you push those cases through a bullet sizer to bring them down to size? Second question, for the lead core. Why not put empty 9mm case under melting pot and fill full of lead? then send it up the swaging die while its nice and hot?

a.squibload
03-21-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm only spouting off here 'cause nobody else did yet!

Pouring the core technique has been discussed here, do a search.
I think it was mentioned that it would be hard to fill each case with the
same amount (weight) of lead. But it should work. Not sure it's necessary
to swage while still hot. Pouring the core would anneal the case (that's a good thing).

Someone here (memory is not my strong point!) casts cores, seats 'em in the cases,
then melts 'em in a kiln. Gets consistent core weights, anneals the cases,
and pretty much solders the core to the case.

As far as 9mms for 38 jackets, I'm not sure. I just measured a 9mm case
at around .390". It probably wouldn't fit into the swage die as is.
Don't know why a sizing die wouldn't make it fit! Let us know...

ReloaderFred
03-21-2011, 01:14 AM
When making .44 Magnum bullets from .40 S&W brass, I put the cores inside the cases and then anneal them in a kiln. This melts the core inside the case and anneals the case at the same time. My last batch was right around 950+ rounds, all done at the same time.

The best case I've found to make .38 bullets from is the .380 brass. This, combined with a 105 gr. cast bullet for a core gives a nominal 160 grain bullet. I use shot to adjust the weight to get within +/- 1 gr. of 160 grains. Federal and Blazer .380 brass is heavier than WW and R-P, and generally comes out right at 160 grains without adding any shot.

Pouring hot lead into a case doesn't work well, unless you've got a way to regulate the pour so the same amount of lead is dropped each time. It would be tedious for one thing, plus the many opportunities to burn yourself. Trying to swage a hot core would also be a problem and isn't necessary anyway. As long as the core is reasonably soft, it's going to squish into the shape you need without being hot. You also don't want to fill the case completely up in most cases.

I've also made 140 grain .357" bullets using .32 Auto brass and 100 grain .32 caliber bullets for cores. This works pretty well, again as long as the cores are soft enough and the brass is properly annealed.

For cores, I like to use a casting that is roughly 6 bhn, which is pretty soft. They form well and give good bullets.

I use 9mm brass to make .41 caliber bullets. If you use a 158 grain bullet for a core, you get a 220 grain bullet.

I don't trim any of my brass before swaging. The .44 bullets have a large hollowpoint and the punch just folds the excess jacket into the hollowpoint. These bullets are notched prior to final swaging and that helps make everything fit.

My .357" and .41 bullets are all soft points and with the combination I'm using there is roughly 1/16" of lead protruding beyond the jacket when finished, so there is no need to trim the jackets for these.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DukeInFlorida
03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
The one aspect of the OP's question that wasn't addressed is the use of sizing rings for controlling the diameter of jacketed bullets.

Here's the issue with doing that: Most of us want a shape and profile to the swaged bullet.

Just running the core filled bullet through a sizing ring might work to reduce the diameter a few thousandths at a time. However, you would not end up with a bullet shaped part. You'd just have a solid rod of metal (juice can shaped).

The upper regions of a swaging die are tapered so that you form a nose on the front of the bullet.

So, both aspects of the OP's question are out of the realm of what's good.

a.squibload
03-23-2011, 03:44 AM
...Just running the core filled bullet through a sizing ring might work to reduce the diameter a few thousandths at a time.

I think he was asking about sizing the case in a bullet sizing die, like in a luber-sizer,
before adding the core.
That might crush the case inless it's a push-through die, maybe?

DukeInFlorida
03-29-2011, 09:22 AM
That's exactly what my reference meant. I call bullet sizing dies = sizing rings.

With just lead bullet, you can reduce size several thousanths at a time. However, the brass jacket isn't going to be as ductile.

Even with a super lube, you're not going to be able to do more than .001-.002 per pass. If you hope you reduce diameter .040, for example, that's a whole bunch of sizing rings/dies and a lot of effort.

Much better to use a swaging die, where the entire process is contained and controlled.

MIBULLETS
03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I think he is only asking about sizing the empty case for use as a jacket. I that case with the proper sizing ring you can reduce a jacket quite a bit in one pass. Using a bullet sizer, I don't know if that will work. I size 45 cal jackets down to .355 in one pass with a sizing ring, also do it with 223 brass.