PDA

View Full Version : Bullet shank too large to fit check?

Jech
03-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Got some RanchDog TLC311-165-RF boolits here for my 30-30...the reduced-diameter shank where the gas check is supposed to be crimped on measures .286"-.288" but the inner diameter of my Hornady 30 cal checks is .285". I can't get the checks to seat squarely without shaving off a large amount of lead...even if I get it on there, 2 out of 3 boolits that goes through my sizing die won't crimp squarely. Any suggestions how to get these checks to seat?

hiram
03-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Try 1/4x20 round head bolt. Position the check as if it was going on the bullet. Place the bolt head on the check and tap with a hammer. This should flair the check open. It could also be done with a steel ball of the right size. Be creative, you might come up with a faster process.

HARRYMPOPE
03-20-2011, 02:15 AM
I use various RCBS pistol expanders (taken out of the expander body) and a small chunk of hammer handle to open them up like hiram says.I also have a GC shank swaging tool that goes in the lubrasizer in place of the sizer that works like a charm but was a bit of $ to have it made.
When you expand the check dont go overboard or they sometimes will go on unevenly during sizing..

HMP

Von Gruff
03-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I cut a pin punch from a cheap set and kept working it shorter slowly til it was the right fit to flair suficiently for my needs.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/024.jpg

Von Gruff.

blaser.306
03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Got some RanchDog TLC311-165-RF boolits here for my 30-30...the reduced-diameter shank where the gas check is supposed to be crimped on measures .286"-.288" but the inner diameter of my Hornady 30 cal checks is .285". I can't get the checks to seat squarely without shaving off a large amount of lead...even if I get it on there, 2 out of 3 boolits that goes through my sizing die won't crimp squarely. Any suggestions how to get these checks to seat?

Buy yourself one oe NOE's gas check shank swaging tools . They work perfect and save alot of misery , I think he has them in just about every cal. certainly for .30 he also sells a tool for installing your check square to the world . Well worth the money that he is charging for the tooling , And as with everything that NOE builds they are like a work of art in craftsmaship . Just my opinion but worth a look !

PacMan
03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Well i had some gas check shank size problems with one of my molds from a well known and respected mold builder.I sent it back and he fixed it.
Yes there are solutions to most any problem but as long as customers continue to take their time and money to resolve them the problems will continue.

you pay a higher price for these molds you should get a higher quality.
JMO
Dwight

Jech
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
...molds from a well known and respected mold builder. I sent it back and he fixed it. You pay a higher price for these molds you should get a higher quality.

This mould is from a very well respected mould designed and manufactured by Lee. The issues I've experienced and presented to the mould vendor have been addressed and resolved beyond my expectations and with a level of professionalism that FAR exceeds the price I paid. As for the quality of the product, it is very high...especially for a Lee product...sadly the issue I have here falls within their advertised manufacturing tolerances.

Now, speaking beyond the specific situation I have here, I wanted to learn how to address this kind of issue outside of warranty replacements etc for possible future situations with other rifles/moulds/calibers.

I'm very thankful for the responses so far, you've all provided me with a lot of great ideas...keep them coming!

~ Jech