PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

03-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I have a bunch of questions about Gas Check boolits. First I got out my old Lee .358 158 SWC 2 cavity that takes a GC and cast a 100 and GC them, used Lee LA and sized them. They're WW water dropped. The wife and kids wanted to go to town so I didn't get them sized for 5 hours after casting. Took noticeably more effort to push them past the .358 die. I think I read here somewhere that LLA will work on non TL boolits. Is this correct? Hope so. I was told that boolits designed for GC can be shot without them. Is that true? I got the 2 cavity Lee 44 240 SWC GC out and cast 50. Where can a guy get gas checks? I saw 1000 @ Midway for near $40.00. Don't really want that many or want to spend that much money until I know they shoot in my Marlin.

I'm going to shoot the gas checked .358 in a Marlin, bought some 2400 tonight. They weigh closer to 165 gr than 158 I thought I'd use 170 gr. data. Lyman book said 13.5 is 1677 out of a rifle 11.5 is 1474. Do I need to stay under 1200 fps with water dropped WW? I think thats all for now. Also I cast about 500 158TL today I'm havin fun if nothing else.
Thanks for the help
Warren

DJ1
03-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Warren,
As far as the GC's go I buy mine from Midway. If you crimp and size properly you will have no troubles. I recomend you ask some of the fella's at your local club or range and they will most likely give you a small quantity to try. Also there is a wealth of information available on the LASC web page about hardness, alloys, heat treating and water quenching http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

DJ1

03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Well I'm learning how to use the search on this board. I found the answer to LLA on non TL boolits. Sounds like it's OK. And it looks like I can shoot GC boolits without a GC if I decide to. Still open on the others questions. DJ1 Thanks for the site. We don't have a club around here. I'm one of two people I know that cast.
Thanks
Warren

Shiloh
03-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Warren,

I use the Hornady gas check from many different vendors. My last gas checks were Gator checks from the group buy link at the bottom of the page. Good quality, a lot less money. I have used LLA on conventional lube boolits, but not on gas checked boolits. I have taken gas checked boolits to 2100+ fps. with water dropped lead, 50/50 WW range lead. Boolit fit it is king.

It is a safe bet to use load data for the 170 gr. boolit with your 165 gr. boolits.

Shiloh

XWrench3
03-20-2011, 11:37 AM
yes, you can use LLA on non tumble lube boolits. i do it all the time. yes, you can use LLA with gas checked boolits, just keep the velocities down a bit from maximum. if you want to shoot maximum with LLA, you will need to hand dip them in the lube, and set them on wax paper to dry. otherwise you will not get enogh lube in the grooves to give adequet lubrication. also, make certain the case mouths are flared. otherwise the cases will strip the lube right off the boolit. as for small quanities of gas checks, other than the idea DJ1 had, i think you will be out of luck. i buy my checks form Midway USA also. actually, once you start shooting them, you will be suprised how fast they go. yes, you can shoot a gas check boolit w/o gas checks. again, you have to keep the velocities down some.

geargnasher
03-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Check out the stickies in the Gas Check sub-forum here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Gear