View Full Version : Nice New Mosin-Nagant

Josh Smith
03-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Hello,

I got tired of trying to decide between an AR rifle and a few others -- I'll still be getting the AR, don't get me wrong, but I needed a long gun now that wasn't a muzzle stuffer.

I went to Dunham's and talked the manager down to $79 for a non-laminated M/N 91/30 made in '39.

It does not appear to have been fired. I'm sure it must have been sometime in the past, but my old M44 (which I no longer have) had a brown bore. This bore looks new, as does the stock and danged near everything else.

What are the chances of finding one that's maybe not been fired?

I would rate this one in 95% condition. This is ONLY because it's had its markings (serial number, sight graduations, etc) painted red.

Here is what I ended up with:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/MN.jpg

New or refurb, it's nice. The first thing I did to it was clean the cosmoline out. I just wiped off what I could see, ran a few patches down the bore, wrapped everything in paper towels, and let it bleed out by a heater overnight.

I then polished the chamber to get rid of any that might have been left over from swabbing it out, when it cooled, then shimmed the receiver (just a standard thing I do with certain types of rifles) and shimmed the barrel.

I also bought a few rounds of "88" marked (probably) Russkie (probably) 148grn ball. I fired five, and this is the result:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/targetmeasured.jpg

It's shooting high.

Shots were about 7" above point of aim, which I was afraid might happen, so, I pulled the shims from the barrel. It's floating now, which experience tells me will make it start shooting in circles, so I'll figure something out. I don't want anything permanent.

The flier marked "called" was the first shot, and it's right where I put it -- but I noticed my group wasn't going to be centered, so I shifted my body a bit to bring the remainder onto the center of the target. One of these shots was an unexplained flier. It was right off the paper and about centered between the group I called and the first shot. I know it wasn't me; I'm going to say it was probably the surplus ammo.

After shooting it tomorrow to make sure it still shoots high and check the group without the shims, I will reinstall the shims (if the group is larger than today's; if not, I won't mess with 'em) and install an adjustable front sight. The one thing about the M/N that has always bothered me is the lack of fine sight adjustment, so I bought a front sight a while back and started drilling it. It's now ready for a post I'll make from drill stock, and a 4-40 set screw to hold it, ala the M1 Garand. I should still be able to install the bayonet as nothing will protrude. The stock sight will be kept put up, safe, so I can return it to stock whenever I feel like it.

This is a surprisingly nice rifle that shoots nicely, especially considering what it is.

Josh

cavalrymedic
03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Nothing wrong with the Moisin. Good bit of history. Looks like you have a fine rifle at a great price. Lucky you. I like the 7.62x54R round but it's a bit hard to find decent boxer brass.

JIMinPHX
03-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I think that those rifles are seriously under valued on today's market. They are a wonderfully strong old military bolt action that works very well.

03-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Have a half dozen of different variations. They are fine old shooters. MNs have a glorious history. Not as splashy as the Mausers but just as good and reliable a rifle. I like the light ball and have started accumulating all the Boxer brass I can to reload my rds. Hope to get rid of the "fireball" effect, cut down on the recoil, and improve the accuracy by experimenting with reloads. Anyone have a favorite load for the critters?

JIMinPHX
03-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Anyone have a favorite load for the critters?

My powder puff load for one of them is 11-12 grains of Unique under a 13bnh 155 or 160-grain Harris design boolit for around 1400fps. It makes for easy shootin.

new2cast
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't think the MN is undervalued (price wise) as said above....there just 16 million 91/30s + the tons of other variants produced.

@OP: If you look at the left side of the stock, look for a box with a diagonal line through it (indicates rebuild).

It is my understanding that all 91/30s were fired and sighted in at the factory with the bayonet on. Taking it off usually brings POI high.

John 242
03-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Have a half dozen of different variations. They are fine old shooters. MNs have a glorious history. Not as splashy as the Mausers but just as good and reliable a rifle. I like the light ball and have started accumulating all the Boxer brass I can to reload my rds. Hope to get rid of the "fireball" effect, cut down on the recoil, and improve the accuracy by experimenting with reloads. Anyone have a favorite load for the critters?

I've been using 11.0 grains of Unique under a gas checked 314299 cast from wheel weights, 50/50 lube, sized .312, PPU brass and CCI primer. I get ok accuracy... 1 1/2 inches or so at 50m. I've been seating to touch the lands.

I tried 11.5 and 12.0 grains of Unique but accuracy was still about the same.

I tried Red Dot, but got about the same accuracy.

Understand that I am not a very good shot, so those groups are reflective of my mediocre skills.

By the way, factory ammo- Wolf Gold shot about twice the group size as my cast reloads and were all over the place. I didn't have the problem with factory shooting high like the OP did, but I believe that these rifles were meant to be sighted in at 300m with the bayonet attached, which might explain the high shots.

EOD3
03-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't remember the numbers but, IIRC, the graduations on the sights are NOT in meters. Someone here will chime-in.

PS: I have an unfired M44 in the safe. Came as a surprise when I got all the cosmoline off.

Josh Smith
03-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello,

Originally, the sights were in arshin, or about 28". This was the stride of a man.

When the Communists took over, they went to the metric system. It is very rare to find an MN that still has the arshin graduations intact. Some have been crossed out; most I've seen have just been replaced during arsenal service.

Josh

rtracy2001
03-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I just got my first 91/30 in the mail today. I didn't get the $79 deal, but I was plesantly surprised when I cleaned her up. The bore is nice and shiny with a fresly crowned muzzle. Man those Russians were clever little buggers. From the floorplate hinge to the simple but effective bolt design. Just neat all the way around!

Oh, I said my first 91/30, it won't be my last. :bigsmyl2:

truckjohn
03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Consider that the shims aren't there to regulate the aiming point, but to get the right pressure point on the muzzle end of the barrel....

You say it's shooting several inches high...... Probably 6-12" high if it's like all the others...

Consider that it's the way the sights were regulated on purpose.... With 8-12" high at 100 yards - if you hold on the belt buckle/mid chest of a standing soldier - you are going to make a "Hit" out to 600 yards or so.... even if you leave the sights at the 100 yard setting...

The thing you see many people do is put a little piece of black heat-shrink tube on that front sight - then clip it off a bit at a time until the sights regulate where you want it. .. Another option would be to buy an extra-tall front sight.

Thanks

rollmyown
04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
You guys have it good! I bought mine about 18 months ago in slightly less nice (with full parts kit ammo pouches and bayonet) here in Australia for $500. 1927 hex receiver.

Boy, would I like to have your prices here! Can't say I'd have any more money, but I recon I'd have alot more shooting gear!

wallenba
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I think that those rifles are seriously under valued on today's market. They are a wonderfully strong old military bolt action that works very well.

ShssssH!!! they might be listening!

Three44s
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Try this:

gswagner.com

Enjoy!!!

Three 44s

sh00ter787
04-07-2011, 02:10 AM
17.0 gn of 2400 under a Lee 312 155 is my favorite load at present, really comfortable to shoot and doesn't feel like a "light" load