PDA

View Full Version : Help in identifying pot

wallenba
03-19-2011, 04:50 PM
I brought this Lyman Mould Master home from my local dealer. I'm told it works, but the plug end gets VERY warm (hot?). I would like to know the model number and if there are wiring schematics available. I've yet to fire it up, but I think I should anticipate trouble at sometime in the future. I'm told it works well at the present, just a minor dripping problem.

shaune509
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Wiring for the older pots is very basic. Most used a 2 wire plug, hot to control- control to one end of element- other end of element to neutral of cord. The plug end getting hot is probably bad wires in the plug body do to age/use/misuse, replace with new cord. The 3 wire cords by adding the ground to the switch box screw would add some safety.
shaune

wallenba
03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Wiring for the older pots is very basic. Most used a 2 wire plug, hot to control- control to one end of element- other end of element to neutral of cord. The plug end getting hot is probably bad wires in the plug body do to age/use/misuse, replace with new cord. The 3 wire cords by adding the ground to the switch box screw would add some safety.
shaune

Thanks Shaune, I always stayed away from higher voltage stuff, and need to know more. I guess it comes from that October day in 1960 when I was eight. I woke up on the floor with my mom standing over me crying. Me with the butter knife in my hand and a stuck piece of toast still in the toaster.:mrgreen:

badbob454
03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Warm is normal it is the resistance in the wires and the plug ,THIS IS AT LEAST 700 WATTS OR MORE IM GUESSING ... Hot is not good , replace with a new 3 prong, according to wattage or better .

GP100man
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
So how much did ya snag it for ????

Kool pot though !!!!!

I`d go ahead with the wiring repair , better now than in the middle of a pour !!

& it may save smokin a thermomstat or element !!

Longwood
03-19-2011, 08:30 PM
If it is clean now, I would also lap the pour valve. I did it to a friends pot a few years ago and it only took about five minutes with some valve grinding compound and a drill motor.

Longwood
03-19-2011, 08:40 PM
I brought this Lyman Mould Master home from my local dealer. I'm told it works, but the plug end gets VERY warm (hot?). I would like to know the model number and if there are wiring schematics available. I've yet to fire it up, but I think I should anticipate trouble at sometime in the future. I'm told it works well at the present, just a minor dripping problem.
Nice pot! I had one identical to it and must have poured about a ton of lead with it and never had a bit of trouble with it. The very flexible copper in old cords gets tired and burned. Get a cord and strain relief of the correct size and it should last many years.
BTW, How do you keep that bench so neat?
Mine is six feet by four by two and has three eight inch shelves on top two twelve inch shelves underneath and a twenty inch bottom shelf and I am lucky to have a twelve inch square area to work at. I cleaned it twice today and just now had to clean it off again and will have to clean it again when I want to use it next time.

wallenba
03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
So how much did ya snag it for ????

Kool pot though !!!!!

I`d go ahead with the wiring repair , better now than in the middle of a pour !!

& it may save smokin a thermomstat or element !!

It was tagged $45 and I snatched it without hesitating, even though I didn't need it, I was not going to leave it there. Somebody is bringing in their old stuff for cash I think. It was not long ago I got an old Lyman 55 powder measure for $35 at the same place. :smile:

wallenba
03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
If it is clean now, I would also lap the pour valve. I did it to a friends pot a few years ago and it only took about five minutes with some valve grinding compound and a drill motor.

A bonus is, it has about a pound of alloy in it. I'm going to tackle the metering rod and spout in the morning if I can get it done before the race. I never miss a Bristol race (Nascar).

Tammany42
03-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Great pot! I have one I used for over 25 years, that I got used. Have to put in a new piece of Mica. The contacts are through a small piece of Mica board to a "waffle iron" 2 prong female connector

Dale53
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I used my Lyman 11 lb pot for many years. In fact, until I started IPSC shooting and was also casting bullets for friends. I just needed more capacity.

The older ones had a flat plug (like the old clothes irons that you older fellows and gals may remember). It is common for older units to end up with dirty contacts or loose screws that create a high resistance connection. This causes excess heat that escalates localized burning of wiring, etc. I would suggest a complete re-wiring with a new three wire cord (as has been suggested) and be sure to clean all connections inside the "box". As I remember (been a long time since I had one) there is a metal screw on each side of the "box" that holds the thermostat. Those screws hold the box to the outside of the pot sheet metal. Remove those two screws and you can see everything inside.

NOTE: It is considered good practice to unplug before you work on it:veryconfu:veryconfu.

Dale53

wallenba
03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
NOTE: It is considered good practice to unplug before you work on it:veryconfu:veryconfu.

Dale53
I learned and never forgot that lesson because of the toaster episode.;)