PDA

View Full Version : If I hadn't lost the trigger..I would shoot it!

Char-Gar
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I drill and taped the receiver and barrel on my Mauser sporter and installed a vintage Redfield receiver sight on the rear and a William Shorty ramp on the front. Looks good, every thing is square and plumb.

The metal in in the wood, glassed and all. All that is left is to shape, detail, sand and finish the stock, plus a good polish and blue on the metal.

Now is the point that I would take it to the range and do any tweaking before the finish work, but I lost the blamed trigger. Can't find it...no sir..it is gone, gone, gone! Drat!

After Christmas I will buy a Timmey, but until then the project is on hold. Irks me because I am motivated to see how she shoots. Looks like she is going to weigh in at 7.5 lbs with the 24" barrel. She is going to be well balanced, quick and lively in the hands.

I have had the stock blank since 1959 and it is good and dry. That makes it very stable, but you have to work it carefully as it will spliter on you if you just look at it the wrong way. Thus far the splinters have been wood that was coming off anyway so no damage done..so far!!! It is going to finish up with a redish cast to it that reminds me of old Winchesters. The grain will be nice and attractive..about an AA grade of wood.

Damn, I wish I could find that trigger!!!!

35remington
11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Caliber? Pictures?

Char-Gar
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Da caliber... 8 X57 J--- Vat else? I will take some photos the first time at the range. It is still pretty crude, with the wood rough and proud and the metal in need to refinishing.

No_1
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Original or aftermarket barrel?

Robert

Da caliber... 8 X57 J--- Vat else? I will take some photos the first time at the range. It is still pretty crude, with the wood rough and proud and the metal in need to refinishing.

Char-Gar
11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
The rifle is built on a minty Persian 98/29 barrel action. The barrel appears to be as new, bright and shiney with no visable throat wear.

NVcurmudgeon
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Chargar, I think I have a factory trigger if you think you can use it. It is what I had left after switching parts among three Mausers of various manufacturers and nations to improve trigger pulls. IIRC, it is a 1948 Yugo, rough as a cob. Price is right-free.

Johnch
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
If a Turk trigger would work .
I have 1 laying around .
From a project rifle I am slooooooooly working on .

Johnch

Char-Gar
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys... A member send me a PM and a trigger is coming my way. I can use it until I can get a Timmy.

Anybody have an Mauser clips for sale cheap? I installed the Redfield so I could still clip load and will relieve the stock around the receiver thumb slot. Nice to retain that feature.

Urny
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Chargar, PM me your address and I'll get a few coming your way. I don't think they are worth enough to make buying worthwhile.

No_1
12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Could we see some pics of her in the unfinished mode? I am very interested since I have wanted to do one like you have described. This is as far as I have gotten. Mine is on a VZ-24 action but it is waiting for a stock and final finishing.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/VZ248MMF.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/VZ248MME.jpg

Robert

Harry Eales
12-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Those crank handled, fast reloading gizzmo sort of actions, will never catch on. There's far too many things to go wrong with them.

Get yourself a reliable underlevered single shot like a Sharps, in a man sized calibre, not a needle blower. lol.

Joking aside, it's looking good. Nice work.

Harry