PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #358340, .358", 195 Grain RN

Jeff H
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Searched the site and got a couple old group buy threads on something other than what I was looking for.

I am specifically interested to know if any of you have any first-hand experience with the Lyman #358340 through your .357 lever guns of whatever make.

The plain base and the weight are appealing to me, but I am not too keen on a round nose for game. Sure, they feed and can be very accurate, but even if I am shooting a target round, the ultimate role of any projectile I use on a target is to use it for hunting or pest control as well. This particular round nose is pretty blunt though and may have some terminal potential, or may even be problematic as far as feeding goes. I can speculate 'til next fall and be where am today.

How is it feeding for you?

Have you any information on actual terminal performance?

Was it accurate at a hundred yards with a slow rate of twist?

I need at least one mold to hold me over until the RD 359-175 comes out this summer and have been attracted to this design for a number of years, with no real application for it until now.

Now, when I say "first-hand experience," I don't mean to exclude speculative comments or "my brother had one and...." I'm open to any comments, but a m hoping someone has hunted with it.

Thanks.

Beerd
03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
The 358009 has the same round nose profile and 35 Whelen shooters like it a lot.
It is a tad heavier though.

MT Gianni
03-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I like it in the 357 [358430, 195 gr]. No experience in a lever.

Jeff H
03-21-2011, 06:33 AM
The 358009 has the same round nose profile and 35 Whelen shooters like it a [U]lot[U].
It is a tad heavier though.

I will look for more info from that angle. Thanks!

I like it in the 357 [358430, 195 gr]. No experience in a lever.

Levers aside, any input regarding terminal perfprmance out of the .357?
Thanks.

Bret4207
03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Anecdotal evidence from back in the day when the 38 S+W and 38 Special "Super Police" loads were popular using a boolit with a similar profile show it to be far more effective than a typical RN. I don't know if it's fair to this design to think of it as a RN. It's so much flatter that it might deserve it's own category.

As far as actual performance on game...no gots. I do know a very similar 45 B+M design at 850 fps from a 45 ACP revolver will knock the snot out of a porky like nobodys business.

Beerd
03-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Mine from one of the Lee Group Buys.

I don't have a levergun to shoot it in yet, but loaded over Bluedot I get 1100 ft/sec from my Blackhawk.

Jeff H
03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
..... I do know a very similar 45 B+M design at 850 fps from a 45 ACP revolver will knock the snot out of a porky like nobodys business.

Much of my own speculation is based on information on older, lower power, heavy-projectiled "police load" information. I also figure that the nose shape does not seem to hinder a .50 caliber ball at 125 yards - punching completely through deer. Granted, it is a much larger diameter, but not being a SWC and being as light as it can be at that diameter does not seem to put it at much of a disadvantage. That may be a stretch - apples/oranges.....

Mine from one of the Lee Group Buys.......

That's a beauty! And a LEE mold to boot. I feel like Rumplstiltskin, having slept through some good group buys. I like LEE molds because I have to cast when I have a few minutes. I don't get to dedicate a day or several hours to casting these days, and the LEEs heat up and start throwing good projectiles more quickly than with my iron molds. No rust inhibitor to clean off, little warm-up time. Just start casting and then set it aside to cool before placing it in a plastic storage box until the next short session.

Thanks for posting the pic.