PDA

View Full Version : roll crimping slugs?

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Ok i loaded up about a 100 lee 1oz slugs. I roll crimped them and they looked great. Problem is after shooting them the hull doesnt open up all the way. How can i recondition them to reload them again? No way im going to get a wad in them as is.

EMC45
03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
There is a tool called the "Spin Doctor" by BPI I think. it will recondition the mouths of your hulls. You could probably make one though. It is a tapered tool you chuck in a drill and turn inside the mouth of the shell. You probably could turn a piece of hardwood down and do the same thing. It just "warms" up the mouth and will straighten them back out.

diehard
03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I just use the round handle of large-sized punch. I insert it in the hull and--by hand-- run it around the case mouth at an angle so that the crimps open up. Note: this method doesn't recondition the hull in any way--it just opens up the crimps so that the wad will fit in.

I'm certain the Spin Doctor would do a better job if re-conditioning is what you desire.

klcarroll
03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I have found that a USED 12 gram CO2 cartridge is a handy tool for this purpose: (Yeah, ...the kind your Crossman BB gun uses!)

Just chuck the "snout end" into your hand drill or drill press, and use the rounded base end to "spin re-form" your hull mouths.

(I own a lathe and a mill; ....And this works as well as any of the "Spin Doctor" copies I have made!)

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/sockmeister/S7301139.jpg

Kent

longbow
03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
klcarroll:

Brilliant! I like the way you think. I was planning on making a "Spin Doctor" but not anymore!

I will go give that a try.

For Lloyd, I have to ask whether the mouth of the hull has not opened up all the way ~ remaining roll at the mouth, or if the hull is just "necked" after shooting. If necked, the "Spin Doctor" will work.

I have occasionally had some "roll" left on old hulls when using wad slugs that weren't a real tight fit. I don't think there is much you can do to fix them except cut the hull back a little if that is the problem.

Longbow

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2011, 04:21 PM
neck isnt opening all the way. Guess if i do anymore ill just conventionaly crimp them.

white eagle
03-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I use a magic marker
then I finish smoothing them on my finger
seems to work
I do think I also get a better roll the second time

longbow
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Lloyd:

If the crimp isn't opening all the way up the slug/wad can't be a very snug fit. Maybe try a wad with thicker petals. It seems to me that Lee recommends the Federal wads.

Longbow

steg
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
You Guys never cease to amaze me with the ideas that turn up here, CO 2 cartridge, I like it, great idea.........................steg

Lloyd Smale
03-20-2011, 06:47 AM
i think one of the problems to may come from the hulls im using. there a clear plastic foriegn hull that has very thick plastic.

eye shot
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Good plastic hulls have a memory to them and it can be hard to get it out. I used to heat the end of the hull with a candle and then use the spin doctor. Now I just wait till hulls are on sale and use new primed ones.

troyboy
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I know this is off topic but how did the slugs shoot?

shotman
03-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Why roll ?? dont need to. Cut end off and set slug drip bee wax on top not reg wax but bee wax

klcarroll
03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Why roll ?? dont need to. Cut end off and set slug drip bee wax on top not reg wax but bee wax

Hmmmm.........

I can see the bee wax thing working well (...and providing some lube) in single shot and clip fed weapons: .....But I think that nice double thickness that roll-crimping creates at the case mouth would be more supportive when you are stacking up eight rounds in a tubular magazine.

Kent

Sieveboy
04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
CO2 Cartridge is a damn good idea - will go home and try it! THanks!

ohiochuck
04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
The spin doctor will work well on plastic hulls.