PDA

View Full Version : Range scrounging

bumpo628
03-19-2011, 01:24 AM
I went to the range today after work. It's a club, so there's usually not a lot of traffic. By the time I was finished shooting everyone else had left, so I did a little range scrounging.

I walked along the backstops and picked up the whole bullets that were on the ground. I walked away with 8 lbs of lead for about 20 minutes of work.

Any source is a good source nowadays...[smilie=w:

sargenv
03-19-2011, 01:36 AM
yes, yes it is :)

Swede44mag
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Where I shoot it gets burried in the burm and they won't let anyone dig it out.

Keep scrounging it will add up unless you keep sending it back down range:-)

bumpo628
03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Where I shoot it gets burried in the burm and they won't let anyone dig it out.

Keep scrounging it will add up unless you keep sending it back down range:-)

You should tell them that you just want to borrow it for a while and you'll put it right back where you found it. [smilie=l:

Jal5
03-19-2011, 07:13 PM
I got to my club early today, nobody there for the first half hour I was there. Picked up about half a large coffee can full and I could have filled it but my back has been giving me trouble lately. That is my usual way to do it. I have 3 large full cans to smelt plus this one I picked up today. Always bring more lead home than you shoot!

Joe

*Paladin*
03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I got to my club early today, nobody there for the first half hour I was there. Picked up about half a large coffee can full and I could have filled it but my back has been giving me trouble lately. That is my usual way to do it. I have 3 large full cans to smelt plus this one I picked up today. Always bring more lead home than you shoot!
Joe

That's my goal every time I go out shooting. Geneo, another member here and I go shooting every now and then, and I copied the sifter box he made. Works good. Every time I go out in the desert near some of the popular shooting areas, I take a bucket, my sifterbox and a shovel. I always manage to bring home more than I shoot. :mrgreen:

clodhopper
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I like to take an old paper coffee cup and throw a few nuggets in every time I go down range to check targets.
A small bucket back in the car catches the contents of the cup on returning to the fireing line.
A litte bit here, a little bit there, pretty soon your talking about real lead.

fredj338
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, doesn't take long to pick up 25# w/o ever touching a shovel.

captain-03
03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah, doesn't take long to pick up 25# w/o ever touching a shovel.

Yes; especially after a good rain!!

loumg
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
There is no berm or backstops at my club so lead recovery is not possible. I did notice a lot of brass in the trash so I left a coffee can with "Brass for reloder" label. I have picked up a fair amount of brass that would be trashed.

Shiloh
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Currently have three 5 gal buckets to smelt There is about 25% scrap jackets, wads, rocks, ect by weight. As soon as it dries out, raining and wet here with the snow melt, I'll get more.

Doesn't take long to pick up 12-15 pounds, I have a screen sieve as well.

Shiloh