PDA

View Full Version : New Starline 45 colt brass

sixpointfive
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Just received 500 brand new cases, man are they hard to get the neck expander out. Never had this problem with my fired starline brass. Do you think they will be easier to load after they have been fired?

Matt

ReloaderFred
03-18-2011, 09:13 PM
This is pretty common with new Starline brass. If you'll either tumble them prior to sizing and belling, or lightly lube the expander, that will solve the problem. I've pulled new Starline .38 Special brass completely in half using a Lyman M die. The top half stuck on the M Die expander and I had to groove it to get it loose enough to peel off. Several friends have experienced the same problem.

Hope this helps.

PS: Some will chime in and say they've never had this problem, and they probably haven't, but this has been my experience with new Starline brass.

454PB
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
What ReloaderFred said........it also helps to clean and re-lube the expander every 100 rounds or so, it gets coated with brass "dust".

sixpointfive
03-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Just use case lube?

Phillip
03-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Just use case lube?

Use what you would for rifle brass.

Yea, Starline has to be on of hardest to resize new....I think its close to the old mil 308 brass I have encountered in the past.

Dale53
03-18-2011, 10:17 PM
The suggestion to lube the neck of a case every now and then will solve that problem (inside the neck). I just rub a finger across the case mouth with a bit of case lube on it. Pretty soon, you'll learn the difference in effort that calls for another case mouth to be lubed. The problem seems to go away after the cases are used a few times.

Dale53

Johnch
03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I just stand all my cases up and ever so lightly spray them with Hornady case lube
Spin the tray around and hit them again at 180 degrees

Never had a problem with it afecting the powder

John