PDA

View Full Version : "Limp Wristing" a Rem M1100

7br
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
When I took Jake squirrel hunting, the younger two children were a little miffed that they didn't get to shoot the 20gauge. It is a Remington M1100 Lt wt Special Field. I bought a youth stock and it looks like it is going to be a dandy starter shotgun for the kids.

Clint and Grace both had "Stovepipe" jams. Clint is 10yrs old and is as tall as his 12yr old brother. He is about 20 lbs lighter at 70lbs. Grace is 8yrs old and just under 4ft tall and weighs about 45lbs. The loads were light winchester field loads. I see about three possible causes.

1) I need to clean it. I haven't used it much over the last three years and not sure when last cleaning was.

2) Loads were too light. These were cheap loads and some other loads seemed to function better.

3) Not enough body mass for the gun to work against.

Any other ideas? I will clean it this weekend on general principles.

The targets were clay pigeons on the ground at 20 yards. Grace shot first. She missed both times, but had a grin a mile wide. She also likes shooting my contender in .22 hornet. Clint shot once and smoked the clay.

klausg
11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
7br- the only problem I have ever had with my 1100's ocurred after I had one parkerized. The parkerizing left the magazine tube just rough enough that it wouldn't cycle a trap load consistently; at least that was my diagnosis, (she'd shoot waterfowl or heavy field loads all day). I went over the tube w/some 400 grit sandpaper and the problem dissappeared. For this reason I would lean toward the cleaning, not too mention it's the cheapest alternative. Pay particular attention to the entire gas system, get as much of the carbon as possible off the 'rings' and run a pipe cleaner or simlar through your ports. I don't think it has much to do with body mass as I have often cranked off a round one-handed to jump a duck that decided to swim into the dekes when the jump up and yell method didn't work.[smilie=1: Good luck with it...

-Klaus

fatnhappy
11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I too have a LT 20 1100. While it's set up for deer hunting with the IC RS barrel, I have used it for sportng clays and some bird hunting with a fixed modified spare barrel. I once had minor trouble with lighter clays loads that was completely alleviated simply by changing out the O ring gas seal. It must have been worn enough leak. FWIW.

R.M.
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm just going by memory here, but wasn't there a metal ring of some sort that you installed one way for field loads, and flipped over for target loads. Or is this just in my dreams??????:roll:

C1PNR
11-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Several years ago I had trouble with light loads in my NEW Beretta 390ST 12 gauge.

We were shooting Sporting Clays and the Fiocci (sp?) consistently failed to fully function, leaving we with the same "stove pipe" condition. I had to leave the Fiocci loads alone and go back to the Remington or Winchester, I forget which.

Hopefully in your case it is just needing cleaned and works fine next time. It sure is frustrating, especially to a new shooter, to have the equipment not work like it should.

XBT
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm just going by memory here, but wasn't there a metal ring of some sort that you installed one way for field loads, and flipped over for target loads. Or is this just in my dreams??????:roll:

I think that friction ring was on the older Browning designed guns, the ones commonly called “humpbacks” and possibly some others. The Remington 1100's don't use one.

redneckdan
11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
body mass has nothing to do with it, the gun is gas operated.

Duckiller
11-29-2006, 09:59 PM
To make sure my skeet gun worked I would clean the gas ports and associated area as good as I could and then spread axle grease on the O-ring. Duckiller

Mk42gunner
12-01-2006, 06:08 AM
It has been a long time since I took an 1100 apart but I would clean the outside of the mag tube and check the condition of the o-ring that seals the piston.

Robert