PDA

View Full Version : 6mm airsoft pellets

nighthunter
03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I made a plug for my notching die to just slightly round over the hollow cavity of my .429 swaged bullets. My purpose in doing this was to swage a 6mm airsoft pellet into the cavity of the bullet. It works OK but is going to take some tweaking. The pellet is very secure in the bullet. In the course of swageing the pellet into the bullet some of the bullets get bumped in size to .430 and .4305. My problem arises when I run the bullet back through the .429 die. The nose and the pellet are deformed when being ejected from the swage die. A couple of pics follow. Anyone have a suggestion to eliminate the damage to the nose?

BLASTER62
03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I have used air soft pellets on some of my bullets, the way to do it is to use a taper punch after you seat the core. this gives the lead room to form around the ball. If you use a die that you have to form the nose by putting the nose down you will have to put a little lube on the ball to hold it in place. I use one bullet to establish the Ogive 2-3 times set the die and then the rest are run thru 1 time.

BT Sniper
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
A flat or concaved nose punch for the swage die should help you in both sizing the bullet back down to size and finishing up the look of the bullet.

Possibly adjust the notch die to apply less force in seating the pelet? Or simply push oversized bullets threw Lee .429 sizing die should take care of the oversized bullet but will not help to reform the nose.

Anything is possible. Glad to see your experimenting. They look pretty good from the pics.

BT