PDA

View Full Version : I'm in love

Love Life
03-17-2011, 12:44 AM
So I'm in the market for a 357 magnum and the first place I look is the S&W website. BAD IDEA! I saw the S&W model 327 TRR8 and oh man is that a sweet looking pistol. The reviews on it are really good as well. However, this is my favorite site and I really trust and respect the opinion of members here so I will pose the question to you all.

Have any of you used/owned this pistol? If so what were your likes and dislikes? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Dick

Bret4207
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Having no idea what a S&W model 327 TRR8 was I went and looked. At least it's not stainless, thank goodness! But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it appeals to you and you have the funds ( I could never spend that much) then let's face it, it's a Smith and they have turned out very little in the way of junk. I think it's unattractive, but if you like it go for it.

Myself, I'd be far more inclined to find one of those repro '17's or Outdoorsman they made.

oldhickory
03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Had to take a look myself, not knowing what it was. Not bad, but I prefer a more traditional revolver. I'm shocked at the prices!..On everything they make. Guess it's the same all over though. Suddenly $450 seems reasonable for an old but well cared for Colt Official Police.

bobthenailer
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I think very highly of S&W they have been my favorite double action revolvers for over 40 years.

Love Life
03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
The price shocked the **** out of me to. I remember buying my NIB 625-8 for $600 out the door in 2007. The TRR8 is very appealing to me. 8 rds of 38 special/357, large N-frame, 35.5 ounces so weight isn't that bad, removable top rail so it makes it easy to use a scope if I choose. Hopefully I can find a dealer in California who will horse trade.

lonewelder
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
A m27,or a k frame will always go up in value and can be had for a lot less.Just my 2cents,a grain of salt and all that.

Mal Paso
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
It's an aluminum alloy frame. I would want steel for a magnum I shot a lot.

btroj
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Bret, what is wrong with stainless?
I like stainless, but some of the "hot" hew guns are a bit ugly. I just can't shoot an ugly gun.

Bret4207
03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
What's wrong with stainless? It's not blued. Simple as that.

Four Fingers of Death
03-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Took me awhiule to find it. I remember seeing a picture of it some time ago and thought it looked awesome. I'd prefer a 6 shooter. I wouldn't be worrying about that Scandian Alloy frame. My Late wife's sister' ex husband shoot IPSC Revolver and I think he has that exact model, they were advertised here at one stage. He is as mad as a hatter, shoots full house loads and lets rip with 200-300 every weekend.

Swede44mag
03-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I bought a Ruger SP101 in 357 for CC it is stainless and one of the best smaller pistols I have ever had.
I have been looking at the 327 revolvers myself.

Ever watch Death Wish with Charles Bronson?

Buy what you like you don't have to please anyone but yourself.

Love Life
03-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Well I'm in the works of horse trading for one now.

I also prefer blued over stainless, but wouldn't pass on a nice pistol just because of finish.

Once I get one I will let everyone know how it is.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
I kinda like it.
if you get to handle one before you buy it
and it has factory Wood grips.
check for looseness.
I like the N frame smiths
I've handled numerous N frames with the new style
grips, all have been loose...from a tiny bit, to wholy krap is that loose.
I got one through a trade deal, I had to shim the
wood grips with a small piece of tag board.
Jon

Kraschenbirn
03-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I've owned a bunch of S&Ws over the years...from M10s to a 629...and would go with an all steel six-shooter every time. Want a really nice .38/.357? Look around for a late s/n 586. Mine has over a 100K rounds of .38 Spl PPC loads though it and still shoots better than I can hold. Even better...if you don't mind the extra weight...might be a 4" or 5" M27.

Bill

btroj
03-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I suppose I just don't worry about the finish. I kind of like stainless, easy to see all the fouling on the gun.
I would buy a gun more on feel and how well it fits my needs than by whether it is blues or stainless. I do like blues rifles much better than stainless but handguns I can go either way.
I do respect the fact that we all have preferences.

Love Life
03-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Horse trading complete. Once my 10 day waiting period is over I will be the proud owner of a S&W TRR8 PC. The rails are removable. I believe that will make mounting a scope of necessary quite easy. Also it's a full size gun at half the weight. Once I get it I will post a review. Should be just the ticket for the long hikes I take through the Sierra Nevadas. If anybody is in Mono County you are more than welcome to come shoot. Now I'm off to look at molds.

9.3X62AL
03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrats on the new war toy! If you are happy with it, that is what matters most.

Being "aesthetically challenged" is the Glock pistol's stock-in-trade, and that hasn't slowed sales much at all. :)

I live in country similar to Coleville, with the Sierras close by and a lot of open land all about. In that environment, the 4" 357 Magnum is the usual company.

CA's 10-day wait sucks canal water, doesn't it?

Matthew 25
03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
That's a fine revolver, my buddy has one and it does well. Look into having the cylinder cut for moon-clips. It'll make reloads much faster if you care about that. It's also nice to have all your empties stuck together and all your moon-clips loaded before you even go to the range. Congrats, I think you're right about it being a fine hiking piece.

Love Life
03-19-2011, 12:05 PM
@9.3X62AL- Oh I can't wait! The 10 day wait is bad, but it is easier to buy a hangun in California than it is in North Carolina. In North Carolina it was almost a 15 to 20 day period depending on your schedule and the Sheriffs schedule. I think I just shattered some people's world with that last sentence.

@Matthew 25- It is already cut for moon clips and has chamfered charge holes. This baby is ready to rock and roll. Now it's time to start putting together ammo.

9.3X62AL
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
OK, THAT surprised me concerning NC. All this time, I've thought CA was basically a Bulgaria With Palm Trees.

Enjoy that critter!

Geraldo
03-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I was expecting it to be heinous looking, but it's not that bad. This pic of one of them geedunked up made me laugh though:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170269a_lrg.jpg

Everything has to have a light :roll:, even if it means flame cutting your hand to operate it. Good luck finding a holster for one outfitted like that.

Other than that what's not to like about an 8 shot .357 other than the price?

Love Life
03-19-2011, 01:13 PM
No light going on this one. If I need a tacticool pistol for home defense I have my plastic pistols with lasergrips and night sights. This one is for serious range time and hiking.

jameslovesjammie
03-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Fantastic pistol. It has been on my want list for over two years now. Don't worry about longevity with the scandium alloy frame. The only point on the frame that could have been an issue is where the cylinder locks into the rear of the frame, and S&W installed a steel bushing there to eliminate the wear point. The cylinder is actually stainless so it can handle anything a normal N frame would.

The gun is cut for moonclips and the barrel to cylinder gap can be adjusted because it is a barrel in shroud design, ala Dan Wesson. The removable lower rail to me is a gimmick, unless you plan on using it for a house gun and put a light on it. The top rail is a great feature, however, if you have aging eyes or are thinking of hunting with it. The front sight is interchangeable and I believe the trigger has an overtravel screw already in it.

As far as the price on the website...that is MSRP. It should run a few hundred less at your LGS. It is also a Performance center gun, so it comes with the briefcase.

You've got a great gun. Now buy some .38 Short Colt brass and load them with 9mm data and you'll love those moonclips!

jameslovesjammie
03-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Another benefit is that even with being a larger frame, it still weighs less than a 686.

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2011, 08:47 PM
One awesome looking revolver, and everyone needs at lease one sinister gun. They'll get an unpleasant surprise if they start counting :)

I have absolutely no use for one, but would just love one all the same :)