PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Tree tester

PacMan
03-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Received it yesterday and spent a lot of time then and today trying it out. Not sure if i understand everything that i should about the reading and how they equate.The sheet that came with it that shows the BHN reading for diffrent alloys sort of throwed me off.
I only have WW alloy so using the sheet and the 4 diffrent options on the sheet it was spot on.
I tested about 12-15 bullets of each ACWW-just cast(had to cast up some) ACWW aged , WDWW and HTWW and i got the readings that i should have. Another thing is that the consistency was outstanding.

So much easier and faster to use than the Lee.Wish i had bought the Cabin Tree in the first place.
Dwight

btroj
03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
They are a nice hardness tester. Just don't get too hung up on BHN. It is a piece of info about your bullets but it tells you only the hardness. It does not tell you how the hardness was achieved. Two bullets with identical hardness can respond very differently when fired, and even more so in a hunting situation.
Brad

PacMan
03-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Yea btroj i understand what you are saying.

Walter Laich
03-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I enjoy using mine (Cabin Tree) now and then, too.

buck1
03-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Gussys Cabin tree is awsome! I often make up large batches of free scrap alloy. Without it I would be lost.

Suo Gan
03-17-2011, 02:10 AM
A nice little tool. I used my first one so much that I actually wore it out....not!!! But, seriously it would be nice if it was made of heavier materials...not!!! I borrowed a LBT before I bought the Cabine Tree and it was equally as useful, but, I could only test bullets on it, I like the fact that I can test ingots on the CT. That being said, the hardness of a bullet and a ingot from the same alloy will vary, sometimes drastically FYI.

cajun shooter
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
If you purchased the top model you may also check bullet and ammo run out.

PacMan
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Bought the standard model.

captaint
03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I bought a Cabin Tree a couple years ago, and I'd buy one again - if I needed one.....enjoy Mike