PDA

View Full Version : From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

cbrick
03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Many of you have heard that Glen Fryxell has been writing a full length book on bullet casting, most of those that have heard this have been eagerly waiting for it.

The wait is over, the book is out and it is outstanding. The foreword is by John Taffin and says it all about this book. Glen decided not to publish in a paper book but instead has published the book on the LASC web site.

In html format . . .

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

The pdf version . . .

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Glen's writing as much as I did.

Rick

03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you, cbrick, I wasn't aware he was doing such, but am sure it will make for an interesting read.

RobS
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks..................bookmarked!!!

fecmech
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Just did a quick read of a couple chapters, he does a terrific job. Putting it on the WEB for free is just unbelievable when you consider the time and effort he must have put into this. As casters we are deeply indebted to Mr. Fryxell for his work.

cbrick
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
This book was 10 years in the making.

Rick

Von Gruff
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
That was my first thought as well. To give up the book sales for free downloading is more than generous nut will also ensure a much wider audience. I might never have had access to a copy otherwise. Like others, I have bookmarked it to read on the lasc web site.

Von Gruff.

EDK
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
I couldn't get through to it at first, but finally did. This is a bonanza of information.

Glenn, YOU ARE THE MAN....Thank you sir.

crabo
03-17-2011, 01:07 AM
I wish it was in a pdf form so we could print it out and bind it. I started copying and pasting, but it will take a while.

blasternank
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow! A great book! I only wished he had a few more pictures on some of the items he was describing but hey it's free and it is well described and will be on my Bookmarks page!

Thanks for the link and thanks to the authors for giving us all a great guide for free!

Olevern
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Great stuff, thanks Glen!

Beerd
03-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I wish it was in a pdf form so we could print it out and bind it. I started copying and pasting, but it will take a while.

I agree, the net is nice but I like hard copy.

I would even PAY for a pdf and bet others would also. If the authors did all this work for fun maybe a donation somewhere in their name in exchange for a copy would be in order.

Glen are you listening?

crabo
03-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd pay, I was planning to all along when I heard he was writing one.

Mal Paso
03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks cbrick! May your mold arrive today!

Thanks Glen. I spent the last couple hours reading and printing.

Kirk Miller
03-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Glen gives a new meaning to the word,"unselfish". We all owe him a big 'thanks",and some heartfelt gratitude.
Kirk

edsmith
03-17-2011, 11:38 PM
crabo, download - PDFill and Image writer- it is free, it will let you convert the chapters to PDF and load them on a cd.

Valley Forge
03-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks CBRick for keeping us posted. This is a wonderful read and I am grateful to the authors for their knowledge and generosity.

lbaize3
03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
This is something I will read more than once....

gray wolf
03-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I thought it was a great thing to do, lots of good stuff.
I like the way he explains things.

Sam

MtGun44
03-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Glen!

Bill

Charlie Two Tracks
03-20-2011, 08:06 AM
That book would be a great sticky that people could refer new caster to, (like me). There is a lot of great information there. I also wish if was a hard back. I would get one for sure. edit: I guess it is there ain't it. Day late and a dollar short again.

cbrick
03-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Ken made it a stickie in the "Cast Boolits" forum.

Here is the link again.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

Rick

OeldeWolf
03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I would do it myself, but between work and trying to keep up the house (the SO is disabled) I am short of time to actually DO anything gun-related... <suffering withdrawals, need a therapy session at the range, asap>

cbrick
03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
I downloaded the Adobe PDF program with a 30 day free trial. I have zero experience with PDF and for the 4 days I have worked with this program it looks like I will need far more than 30 days to figure it out, if I cannot make it work I'll not be spending the $300.00 they want for the software. Almost zero progress so far, I'll keep playing with it to see what I can figure out.

Rick

edsmith
03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Rick, check out - primopdf.com/ it is free, it works really good for me,and I am computer stoopid,also try - PDFill -it is free, it works good, the free version will have a light line of text across some of the documents, the paid version don't, but it is only $20 I got the paid version after using the free one. I was able to convert the guide to pdf with no problem, I put it on a cd. I am a cheep bastid, free is good. :) Ed

Beerd
03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
A quote from the title page of From Ingot to Target:

"Thank You Mr. Fryxell and Mr. Applegate. lasc.us is proud to host this exceptional book."

And

"This book is copy right protected (copyright © 2011). All rights are reserved by the authors. No part may be copied, reproduced or transmitted in any fashion without written permission of the authors."

I guess it is OK for a person to make & save a copy for himself. I'm not so sure it would be very polite to pass one around though.

Glen
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Beerd -- I have no problem with anyone "passing their copy around" to their friends. We wrote this to put out there for people to read and enjoy. What I WOULD have a problem with is people printing off hardcopies and selling them for personal profit.

crabo
03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Rick, check out - primopdf.com/ it is free, it works really good for me,and I am computer stoopid,also try - PDFill -it is free, it works good, the free version will have a light line of text across some of the documents, the paid version don't, but it is only $20 I got the paid version after using the free one. I was able to convert the guide to pdf with no problem, I put it on a cd. I am a cheep bastid, free is good. :) Ed

Did you have to copy and paste each page individually?

edsmith
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
yes,but you can combine all of them into one file after you save to your documents,also you can optmize the files to reduce the mbs. on my check maker book, I was able to reduce the size from 33 mb to 8mb.download the free programs, if you dont like them delete. Ed

cbrick
03-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Ok, several of you aked for it, here it is.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate, in pdf for your printing pleasure.

Four days ago I couldn't even spell pdf, now I did one :mrgreen:.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Enjoy!

Rick

Glen
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Thanks Rick!

Beerd
03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:
Yes, thank you

edsmith
03-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Good job, looks like you figgered out acrobat

cbrick
03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Good job, looks like you figgered out acrobat

Yep, I used the 30 day free trial from Adobe, now I'll have to buy the program for any future editing. Still much of this software I need to figure out but I got it this far. For one thing is page numbers, I am sure it does page numbers but I couldn't find it so I added page numbers by chapter instead of throughout the entire book, better than nothing for now.

I tried a couple of times to download "primopdf.com" per your suggestion but couldn't get it to work. The only thing to down load was the install function but no program. Perhaps they were having some problem, I'll try it again in the future.

Rick

cbrick
03-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Shameless bump so more folks can find "The Book".

From Ingot to Target in pdf.

Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick

tommag
03-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Yep, I used the 30 day free trial from Adobe, now I'll have to buy the program for any future editing. Still much of this software I need to figure out but I got it this far. For one thing is page numbers, I am sure it does page numbers but I couldn't find it so I added page numbers by chapter instead of throughout the entire book, better than nothing for now.

I tried a couple of times to download "primopdf.com" per your suggestion but couldn't get it to work. The only thing to down load was the install function but no program. Perhaps they were having some problem, I'll try it again in the future.

Rick

I don't use a computer much, mostly surfing. Foxit is a free pdf program that I use to read pdf things, not sure if you can use it to create and edit pdf files. I downloaded foxit because acrobat made my computer freeze and I got frustrated after two re-installs with the same results.

Down South
03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice, Thanks for posting this.

cbrick
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Shameless bump so more folks can find the link for "The Book".

From Ingot to Target in pdf.

Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick

Lonerider
04-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow!.....I do not know this Glen Fryxell, who ever this person is....Thank You!!!!

You allowing us to garnish information for your expierences, free of charge on CASTBOOLITS, go way beyond, what would be considered normal.

I am still pretty new at this and often seek out others thoughts and experiences, so as to learn and be efficient with my casting, still have a long ways to go.

Its not often that someone of this mans character, would do something so totally unselfish. What a great model for me to follow after, if I am every in a position to benefit others instead of just myself.

Lonerider

ia1727
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Sir:

Thank you very much--very, very well done.

I'm now an immediate admirer.

Thanks again,

Steve

GaryN
04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
That's the best book on casting bullets I have ever read. Thanks Glen. And thanks Rick.

cbrick
04-07-2011, 02:23 AM
From Ingot to Target in pdf is now available with proper page numbering for your numerical printing pleasure.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

And for those that prefer reading it on the computer, html:

From Ingot to Target:
A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

Rick

Down South
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks Glen for the book and cbrick for the PDF. This is a very nice and informative book. I downloaded a copy of it for myself, printed it out and put it in a binder for my pleasurable reading in the evenings. It will join the other books in my reloading/casting library.
There is a wealth of information in the book. I recommend it to all casters especially new casters.

cbrick
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
If you already printed a copy of the book you now have two additional pages to print for a complete book. The book was missing a cover, all books need a cover so this book now has one.

The second page to print is the index page which has changed a bit.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf ([URL="http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)
Enjoy,

Rick

Dale53
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Rick;
Just as a matter of interest. I took my printed copy of the book (thanks to ALL of you who worked on this project) pages to my local "Staples" office supply store and they separated each chapter with an orange page, put a clear plastic front cover and a back cover all for the munificent sum of under $5.00.

The book is a MOST worthy addition to my library.

Dale53

Down South
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll print it tomorrow and thanks......

mroliver77
04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I am not into fandom but must admit that there are those I do admire somewhat. Glen is one of them. I suppose one of the reasons is we like a lot of the same molds, guns etc.

I have always thought I would like to write but God did not instill in me me that talent. I have been a reader since I was very young and writers have entertained, educated, inspired and amazed me every since. There are a few that stick out and Glen is one of them!
Jay

cbrick
04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I have always thought I would like to write but God did not instill in me me that talent. Jay

I dunno Mr. O, that seems quite well written to me. Of course it doesn't hurt that I agree with it completely.

Rick

Spartacus
04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
That book would be a great sticky that people could refer new caster to, (like me). There is a lot of great information there. I also wish if was a hard back. I would get one for sure. edit: I guess it is there ain't it. Day late and a dollar short again.

If nobody has recommended it, you should download the pdf file in case the website should be taken down for any reason.

Dale53
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I downloaded my copy and printed it out and had it bound. Makes a VERY useful fireside book for my library! It cost less than $5.00 to have it bound.

Dale53

cbrick
04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
If nobody has recommended it, you should download the pdf file in case the website should be taken down for any reason.

Site be taken down? Server fees are paid for 13 months, Next due in August. Once paid the site is safe until September 2012. Domain name fees are paid for 5 years at a time not due again until I think 2014.

As for me just deciding not to do the site anymore, It's something I enjoy and have worked on it for 20 years. Considering it's a local gun club site I would say it's an extremely successful site that has been running at 1 million page views a year.

In the short time Glen's book has been published the page view number has taken a big up-swing. Glen is widely known and well respected as a cast bullet writer, shooter, hunter.

I think the site and the book/articles are safe for a while but sure, download it and/or print yourself a copy. All of Glen's articles published on lasc.us are also now in pdf if anyone would like to download or print them.

Rick

Mal Paso
04-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks Rick!

cbrick
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks Rick!

Aw shucks, wasn't nuthin.

Rick

Lonerider
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Cbrick,
....in your post #43, concerning the two new extra pages, when I clicked on the new link, it would not let me bring up the sight. Is there something I might be missing? Wasn't aware that Glen's book was 170 pages +. Thank you Glen!!!! I will be using it as base to help others getting into casting, that like me are new.

Lonerider

cbrick
04-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Dunno Lonerider, I got the email notifiation of your post, went to post 43 and it loaded fine. Do you have Adobe Reader? If not go to the Adobe web site, the reader is a free download. Otherwise you can use the HTML link to view it as a web site.

Rick

ga41
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Simply....THANK YOU from a guy who is just getting started and thanks to all the others on here who share the knowledge

mpbarry1
05-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Awesome information. All three of the guys (Authors, forward) live within a few hours of me. In fact i'm right in the middle of all three of em. Might have to look them up and say thanks.

DakotaElkSlayer
05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
THANKS! Printed it off and read it twice so far... Found the history portion simply fascinating.

Jim

cbrick
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
A shameless bump to help keep it in view for the new folks at CastBoolits.

From Ingot to Target in pdf is now available with proper page numbering for your numerical printing pleasure.

From Ingot to Target:
A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

And the index to Glen's article's published at lasc.us - All of the aticles of Glen E. Fryxell published on lasc.us (http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm)

Rick

BOOM BOOM
05-07-2011, 02:21 AM
HI,
This ought to be made a sticky.:Fire::Fire:

Mal Paso
05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Sticky! All that bumpin gonna wear Rick out![smilie=l:

cbrick
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Sticky! All that bumpin gonna wear Rick out!

Another shameless bump to help keep the book in view for all the new folks at CastBoolits.

From Ingot to Target in pdf
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

From Ingot to Target:

And the index to Glen's article's published at lasc.us - All of the aticles of Glen E. Fryxell published on lasc.us (http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm)

Rick

Phillip
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I just read through it....its a good reference book...Thanks guys for the time that you put into it! :drinks:

Mal Paso
05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Rick?

cbrick
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Sticky! All that bumpin gonna wear Rick out!

Another shameless bump to help keep the book in view for all the new folks at CastBoolits.

From Ingot to Target in pdf
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

From Ingot to Target:

Rick

Mal Paso
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Can this be made a Sticky?

Mal Paso
05-25-2011, 02:52 PM
WOW! Like a hand came down and lifted up this humble thread.

Seriously though I think this is the best book and you can't argue with FREE!:Fire:

altheating
05-25-2011, 03:10 PM
This " Book" should be read by all casters not just the Handgunners. A whole bunch of valuable info that pertains to all of us.

Yes, keep this thread alive!

cbrick
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I finally got around to printing out the book and having it bound. In doing so I discovered many formatting errors plus a few typos and such. Also, once on paper many of the pictures looked too small, most of the pictures are a little larger now.

The entire book has now been reformatted with new font, proper word wrap around pictures, larger pictures etc.

Hopfully you will find this new format easier to read and have good clean look.

Rick

cbrick
06-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Once I finally got around to printing out the book from the pdf file I discovered that its much easier to spot formatting errors on paper than a computer screen. I also discovered that pictures that look fine on the computer, well not so much printed on plain paper. I went through the entire book line by line fixing the errors and making many of the pictures larger.

I printed the book a second time (see post 68) and found even more errors and the pictures while better still weren't quite there. I went through the entire book yet again and made many of the pictures larger and fixed more formatting errors. It should be noted that the formatting errors were mine in converting the original document to html and then using the html to go to pdf. The text is of course still the same, Glen's work remained intact through all of this.

Third printing looks much better. Its embarassing to me how poor the very first publishing looked compared to now. The point of this story is . . . Anyone that has printed an earlier version and wants to keep this book as a permenant part of their library may want to invest the ink to print a new book. A work this exceptional deserves to look its best and I may be close now.

Rick

cbrick
09-10-2011, 09:44 AM
This "Book" should be read by all casters not just the Handgunners. A whole bunch of valuable info that pertains to all of us.

There is nearly as much info for rifle shooters as there is for the handgunners.

"From Ingot to Target" in pdf:

And for those that prefer reading it on the computer, in html:
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

And the index to all of Glen's article's published at lasc.us
All of the aticles of Glen E. Fryxell published on lasc.us (http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm)

Rick

ph4570
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Sweet -- I snagged the .pdf, translated it into Kindle format, emailed it to my kindle and I will begin consuming it.

Fan of the 1911
08-31-2012, 06:37 AM
I finished reading this yesterday, it is well worth reading. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
William.

dsbock
07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I keep a copy by the bedside table.

David

buckwheatpaul
07-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I have already read it....it is truly great! It is good for the novice as well as the seasoned caster.....Frywell's background lends him to bring forth some great information.....

monmouth
08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Tag to print.

Thank you.

USAFrox
08-14-2013, 09:54 AM
This is where I first started getting interested in casting my own bullets - with Mr. Fryxell's works.

Mr. Fryxell, thank you so much for making this available to all of us, and for all of the other articles on casting and the various molds that you have written about.

Prs61109
12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm new here and heard about this book on another forum. It is terrific! I downloaded the PDF file and can refer to it on my iPad in the iBooks app. Very convenient. Thanks for your wonderful generosity for making this free. We casters (I'm a newbie) are very indebted for all your work.

Chapo
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
thank you. These links will continue helping me refine my casting

goofyoldfart
04-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Rick: I use Linux and have downloaded ALL of Gene's writings. If there should ever be repression of the web or site's go down or "whatever", I have a permanent copy on my hard drives and made a DVD of them. that way, for whatever reason , I'll have a copy. just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to you for your work in making it availably to the Castboolits Crowd. And a Big THANK YOU to the authors. God Bless to you and yours.
Goofyoldfart aka Goofy and Godfrey

Boolseye
04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
I will take this opportunity to express my gratitude as well. The authors of this book clearly have written a labor of love, and it has a wealth of interesting and useful information for the caster, the shooter and the people who love them:lovebooli

Kim
04-25-2014, 08:43 AM
I just finished reading Glens' book and would offer him a hearty THANK YOU for a VERY informative book. I've been casting for 40 years and found a lot of useful information. Glen, may you live forever and mine be the last voice you hear!

Lead
05-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Going to read it now thanks

Silfield
05-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Great read thanks.
Now just got to wait for the boss to go out for a while so I can print and bind it.

Bodean74
07-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Great read thanks.
Now just got to wait for the boss to go out for a while so I can print and bind it.

Great idea!!!!!

Slow Elk 45/70
05-14-2015, 03:36 AM
Thank you Glen for your efforts that will help a lot of folks:brokenima Jim

DRat-TN
12-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks! Going to start reading it now.

PS Paul
12-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Wow! 1.5 years later and this thread is resurrected!

Its truly the greatest treatise on the cast projectile ever.

1988-4551
01-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Wanted to chime in and just say I really enjoyed it also. Very informative and one I'll reference back to.

AKholicBubba
11-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Awesome thanks

Alferd Packer
05-05-2023, 03:12 AM
Good read.
Even better if you take time to make it.
T hanks for the recipe.
I thought it worth bringing it forward in these days of highest prices and unavailability.