PDA

View Full Version : barrel slugs on your shiloh rifles

craveman85
03-16-2011, 04:05 AM
ive got my quigley 45-110 on order from shiloh. i would like to have everything in advance and have some squirrelthumpers loaded up for when she comes in. ive got all i need except for the mould. im going to go paper patch on this one. problem is that i cant really order a bullet mould until i know the dimensions of the barrel. so i got thinking that since shiloh doesnt really make a lot of rifles and they have very high tolerances so all the barrels should be very close if not exactly the same. so i figured id ask for the slugged dimensions of your .45 cal shiloh rifles. preferably a breech slug not the full bore slug. this way i can order a paper patch mold maybe .001 over what you guys are getting and size it down if necessary. please only shiloh .45 caliber rifles please. your pedersoli or armi rifle wont do me any good and i dont want to hear about it lol. if you feel the need to tell me about it shoot me a pm. thanks for all of your support.

ss40_70
03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
craveman .. a question someone else is sure to ask, are you planning on patching to bore or groove dia ? .. the groove dia on my shiloh is .457 at both the breech and muzzle , i still have the sluggs but i am not sure of the right way to measure them for the bore dia , but i'd guess its right at .450 hope that helps some

Don McDowell
03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
What are you going to do with the rifle?
If you're going to be target shooting, then a .444 bullet will work well if you wipe between shots.
If you're going to be hunting and just shooting in general then you'll likely want a .441 bullet so you can load and fire successive rounds without wiping or blowtubing.
Papermill's 9# onion skin works well for the majority of patching needs.

Lead pot
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Your Shiloh will have a .450/.458 bore groove. That is what my two .45 Shiloh's have.
I would suggest you measure the paper you want to use, thickness X 4 - from .450.
.441-.444 unpatched will work. Also the bullet ogive profile will play a roll in this also.

A .442 or .443 is a good choice.You don't want to size down a PP bullet if you can avoid it.

Gunlaker
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I have an older Shiloh Long Range Express in .45-70, it is .450 in the bore, and .457 in the grooves.

I have not slugged my new bull barrel rifle yet, but I can say it is very tight. I cannot put the nose of a BACO Creedmoor bullet into the muzzle as it engraves the rifling. (although the barrel is choked at the muzzle as I can chamber said bullet with light engraving on the nose). I know that Kenny W. Mentioned that his bull barreled rifles also have smaller bore/groove dimensions.

Chris.

craveman85
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
im going to paper patch to bore diameter. i figured id check because the bore on my buffalo classic is .446 and the one on my .458 win is .448

peerlesscowboy
03-18-2011, 11:46 PM
My Shiloh has a groove diameter of .456"

John C. Saubak

ps--My rifle is an early "Montana Roughrider", not sure but I don't think Shiloh was making it's own barrels when mine was made? OP, if you don't wanna' wait 'til you get the rifle and then slug it yourself why don't you go to the Shiloh website forum and ask Kirk what are the current bore/groove spec's?

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

downwind
03-19-2011, 12:28 AM
.450/.458

1874 Longrange Express Late 90's vintage

DOWNWIND

blindeye
03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
If you intend to Only use paper patched bullets I'd be more concerned about the chamber than the bore dimensions. If you're patching to fit the bore; won't that bullet be much smaller than the I.D. of a case fireformed to fit a chamber meant to accept groove dia. grease groove bullets? Sticking a .450" patched bullet into say...a .458 I.D. neck? To retain the bullet would mean more neck sizing than needed by a paper patch-only chamber.
I don't paper patch myself but this is a regular topic on the Shiloh forum.
My LRE is .450/.458 near as I can tell.

craveman85
03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
well i was actually going to look for a tapered bullet. and i had asked for preferably a breech slug not a full bore slug.

Gunlaker
03-19-2011, 08:41 PM
well i was actually going to look for a tapered bullet. and i had asked for preferably a breech slug not a full bore slug.

Craveman, I think it'll be difficult to rely on data from another rifle. I can say this. In the sevral rifles I've tried bore diameter paper patch in, a .444" bullet worked well. Usually I wrap it in the 9lb paper that Buffalo Arms sells. My new bull barreled rifle's bore is too tight for that combination but I find a snug fit with 8lb Seth Cole paper which is thinner. With respect to chamber dimensions, using thicker Norma brass seems to help quite a bit.

Chris.

craveman85
03-20-2011, 06:56 AM
yeah i know it wont be perfect. just trying to get a general idea on it. it would be nice if i could use the same mould for my buffalo classic but then i would have to find paper that would wrap up .002 inches or so.

Don McDowell
03-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Probably just go with a 500 gr .441 bullet and the paper mill 9lb paper for all of them would work as a one bullet for all..

dave roelle
03-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Craveman:

My #1 sporter is a carefully measured 0.457---0.450-----------i'm told the shallow grove barrel desired for paper patching-----------haven't gotten that far but when i do i belive i'll start at the combination Don suggests

dave

craveman85
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
i was kind of leaning towards a .441 because then i could use it in my bc as well.