PDA

View Full Version : need some help with a Winchester 94 30-30

Phat Man Mike
03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
[smilie=b: ok so I'm loading some cast boolits for the girlfriends 94 and have a problem. the boolit is C309-170f and I LLA and put the gas-check on the boolit made 2 test rounds and they are hard going in the chamber:!: there is a slight bulge in the case where the gas-check is, will that be alright or should I pull them and find another boolit? :killingpc :veryconfu

fryboy
03-16-2011, 01:03 AM
did you size them or just install the gas check ? i'm going to assume that the case empty fits fine , i'd mic the umm protrusion , and it's also possible that you could size them smaller if you're sizing them to say .310 or something , one of my fav's for a 30-30 is a 100 grain 32 cal plain based lee mold loaded with a few grains of unique , recoil's like a spring air rifle and the girls love the lite load ( and i like not having to gas check them ;) )

Larry Gibson
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
If the bullets with GC are correctly sized (.311 or smaller) then something else is causing the bulge. An incorrectly adjusted seating die that is buckling the neck/shoulder is the most common reason for this problem. What seating die are you using?

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Are you slightly belling the case mouth, and is your blt setting straight going into the die, and not crooked. If not suggest a Lyman M die, or the Lee expander. Your blt is an excellent shooter from my 94. Good Luck.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Phat Man Mike
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
If the bullets with GC are correctly sized (.311 or smaller) then something else is causing the bulge. An incorrectly adjusted seating die that is buckling the neck/shoulder is the most common reason for this problem. What seating die are you using?

Larry Gibson

Larry I'm using the LEE seating die I just bought. and the boolits are sized at .310 :popcorn: I'm going to make a round with out the G/C and see how that looks. guess I might have to shot them lil dudes naked :oops: :veryconfu

selmerfan
03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Mike, it sounds like you're not expanding the case mouths prior to seating the boolit. If not, see 1Shirt's post and try either of those expanders out, I prefer the Lyman M die.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike

Try expanding the case mouth if you're not doing that as suggested. Additionally, are you seating and crimping in one step?

Suggest you back the seating die out and run a sized case with case mouth flared (no bullet) up into it:

The case should not bump any thing. Screw the die in until it is tight agains the case. This is where the crimper of the die is bumped against the case mouth.

Back the die off 1/2 turn and loack down the lock ring.

Withdraw the case and insert a bullet into the case mouth and seat it (adjust the seating stem only) to where the case mouth is just at the top of the crimp groove on the bullet.

(If you are going to crimp seperately with a LFCD stop here and lock the lock ring down on top of the press)

Back out the seating stem 3 turns.

Back off the lock ring and screw the die in 3/4 turn from where it was. Run the cartridge up into the die. This will begin to crimp the case mouth.

Turn the die in 1/8th more turn at a time until the desired crimp is attained.

Lock the lock ring down against the top of the press when you have the crimp wanted.

With the cartridge still in the die tighten the seating stem down against the bullet.

The die is now set to seat the bullet and crimp in one operation.

The cases must be the same length for this to be done without buckling the case neck/shoulder or shaving lead off the bullet.

If you have the Lee Factory Crimp Die you might want to skip setting the die to crimp and use the LFCD in a seperate operation.

Larry Gibson

Phat Man Mike
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
the die set I'm using has the crimp die by it self.. and I'm expanding the cases just enough for the G/C to start into the case. I think what has happened is the G/C aren't getting crimped enough. I took two naked boolits and loaded them and they shot great! I sure like how this group jumps in to help people out :bigsmyl2:

cephas53
03-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Would add a suggestion, and in accordance to Mr. Gibsons advice, to check case OAL after sizing and trim to spec if needed.

kbstenberg
03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
PM Mike
Can I ask a question not trying to embarrass you. Did you run the bullets with the GC on through a sizing die? That mite account for the bulge? The bullet with the GC installed has to be sized.
Sorry Fry Boy. I went back an read your post after I wrote my suggestions.

Phat Man Mike
03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
PM Mike
Can I ask a question not trying to embarrass you. Did you run the bullets with the GC on through a sizing die? That mite account for the bulge? The bullet with the GC installed has to be sized.
Sorry Fry Boy. I went back an read your post after I wrote my suggestions.

yes they where pushed threw the sizing die! I'm getting one that's a .309 and try it next ;-) just going to watch for leading problems :brokenima

southpaw
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Are you sure that the bulge is causing the chambering problem? Is the boolit contacting the lands? I ask because that was my problem for me with my 94. I just seated them a little deeper and all was well.

Jerry Jr.

PAT303
03-17-2011, 04:49 AM
Mike,I use WW cases in mine and it refuses to chamber any boolit larger than .309. Pat

Bret4207
03-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Are you sure that the bulge is causing the chambering problem? Is the boolit contacting the lands? I ask because that was my problem for me with my 94. I just seated them a little deeper and all was well.

Jerry Jr.

That was my thought too. Chamber a round and remove it and see if the nose is getting heavily engraved. You may need to seat a bit deeper. Oh, and has your brass been trimmed? Over long cases can do this too. If you find it's just the GC causing this then annealing the GC will soften them and provide less spring back and less of the "hump" you are seeing.

swheeler
03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Try annealing your gas checks. Measure the OD of an installed gas check to see if they are springing back to a lager diameter than the sizer.

Phat Man Mike
03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
That was my thought too. Chamber a round and remove it and see if the nose is getting heavily engraved. You may need to seat a bit deeper. Oh, and has your brass been trimmed? Over long cases can do this too. If you find it's just the GC causing this then annealing the GC will soften them and provide less spring back and less of the "hump" you are seeing.

well I'm pretty sure it's not hitting the groves of the rifle! and it's the G/C that's stopping my case from going in the chamber! I made two rounds and they both just dropped right in :redneck: [smilie=l: