PDA

View Full Version : Bator Options

JIMinPHX
03-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Not too long ago, Lee started making a 6-cav version of the .22 cal Bator. The only problem was that they made the cavities the wrong shape. The nose was too big. The GC shank was unusable. There were some other strange little details. Most people were understandably upset when they received one of these off-spec molds that were not true to the original Bator drawing. I saw it as an opportunity in work clothes. I've always wanted to fool around with the design details of a .22 & see what I could get to work. Specifically, I wanted to see how well I could get a plain base to shoot. Anyway, I got my hands on one of the Off spec Bator molds & had at it with a few reamers to change the base design around. I have a few different versions that I am going to try. I am also going to try swaging the nose back down to the original design diameter & see what difference there is between running a bore rider & a full diameter nose. Below are a few pictures of what I have now. Others are welcomed to suggest other things that I might try. My earliest attempt with the modified Bator can be found in post #71 here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1187577#post1187577

The nose swaging had to be done in two steps to prevent my whole boolit from getting crushed. My nose swaging dies just about wiped out the front lube groove on the second pass.

MtGun44
03-16-2011, 11:43 PM
When life give s you lemons, make lemonade.

Well done! I have one of the messed up ones and am trying to decide what to do with
it.

Bill

Lee1954
03-27-2011, 11:58 AM
If someone wants to sell me their bad 6 mold for the $36 PM me

I too realy like your Idea ,,,I shoot light loads often and don't need gaschecks ,removing the bad part and having a plain base .22 ... --I'd mostly shoot targets.. and small game.. I did remove a GC on a single hole .30 cal Lee mold with a dramel - A drill press would work better !

Can someone that knows more about makeing a paper patch mold help - would this be a way to use the bad mold .I'd like a .25 cal or .30 cal paper patch mold. can a paper patch cherry be made from a drill bit (reform the point)???. I don't have more then hand tools,, but could find someplace with a drill press if that was what I needed...

This is more then likley the closest thing to a 6 hole blank mold for the money !

Could a person set up and have a cherry made as a group recut by a mold maker, to say a 311465,,, or anything bigger then .225,
So - if someone has a bad mold and wants to get there $ back out of it I'll take one or maybe two ----- but I realy like is to get a group together and cut them into something usefull........ Dan

Christorbust
12-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Jim what ever happened with the accuracy of these lil slugs?

Plain base or the beer can gas check ever work out for ya?

JIMinPHX
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
My casting equipment has all been boxed up for several months now. It's going to be a while before I get a chance to get back to this again.

Christorbust
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I see, that seems to happen from time to time. I'll be moving in a month or so, then I'll be in the same boat.

Appreciate the reply.