PDA

View Full Version : 2 Groove 303 Enfield

vincewarde
03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Quick question: Bore measures .303, groove measures .314. Given that the Boolit will get sized down quite a bit, do I still need to size to the groove diameter, or would .311 work better?

My thinking is that plenty of lead will get pushed into those two grooves when it sized from .311 to .303.

Your thoughts?

03-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Try it and post the results.

What works the best for me is .001" to .002" over groove.

Multigunner
03-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Quick question: Bore measures .303, groove measures .314. Given that the Boolit will get sized down quite a bit, do I still need to size to the groove diameter, or would .311 work better?

My thinking is that plenty of lead will get pushed into those two grooves when it sized from .311 to .303.

Your thoughts?
It seems to work that way with the J-word bullets, but those have a soft lead core, softer than you would want in a cast boolit, wrapped in a harder but still maleable skin of copper alloy or gilding metal.

I've had great results with both Hornady .312 bullets and Soviet steel core .3125 bullets in my two groove which slugs at .304/.314. I've obtained several types of cast boolits for experimentation but due to unforeseen setbacks have yet to try them in my Savage.

vincewarde
03-16-2011, 02:25 AM
It seems to work that way with the J-word bullets, but those have a soft lead core, softer than you would want in a cast boolit, wrapped in a harder but still maleable skin of copper alloy or gilding metal.

I've had great results with both Hornady .312 bullets and Soviet steel core .3125 bullets in my two groove which slugs at .304/.314. I've obtained several types of cast boolits for experimentation but due to unforeseen setbacks have yet to try them in my Savage.

Yeah, I'm thinking of pulling down some 7.62x54r, reducing the powder charge by 20% and loading them up in .303 cases. I've got some other rifles waiting for cast boolits and the cost for 7.62x54r is only about $ .20 each.

Dutch4122
03-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Here's one method that works very well in the milsurps. Measure the inside of a caseneck from an un-resized casing fired in that rifle. Then subtract .001" from that measurement. The number you get after subtracting .001" is the largest diameter you can safely chamber and fire in that rifle.

Hope this helps,

unclebill
03-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Here's one method that works very well in the milsurps. Measure the inside of a caseneck from an un-resized casing fired in that rifle. Then subtract .001" from that measurement. The number you get after subtracting .001" is the largest diameter you can safely chamber and fire in that rifle.

Hope this helps,

hey thanks!
thats easy to remember.

excess650
03-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Your thoughts?

If you try a .003" under groove diameter boolit you'll have enough blowby to fill your bore with lead. A better approach would be to see how large diameter boolit can be loaded and chambered. You need enough neck clearance to release the boolit, but still (preferrably fill the throat and prevent that blowby.

If you go "old school" on the 303 and load it with BP, you might get away with undersize. The cartridge was originally loaded with BP and cordite later.

curator
03-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Lee Enfield 2-groove barrels usually have a large, tapered throat that allows considerable blow-by in the first few microseconds of bullet travel. This is doesn't damage copper jacketed bullets but can really erode cast boolits causing leading and poor accuracy. You should probably do a "throat slug" and follow the other advise about shooting the largest boolit you can. The use of ballistic fillers can prevent this early blow-by as well as allow slightly undersize boolits to shoot accurately. Check out this article for information on fillers and 2-groove Enfields:http://www.303british.com/id37.html

Bret4207
03-17-2011, 07:02 AM
I agree with the other guys, using an undersized boolit is an invitation to a bore scrubbing session. Stick with the principles of good cast shooting, chief among them is boolit fit and that means fill the throat as much as possible.

DIRT Farmer
03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
In my Savage #4mk1 I tried as large as I had GG castings, Including a .319 Louvern design, fillers, and any of the other tip as I could get. The only way I found sucess was paper patching.

hornet fan
03-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I use factory cast .311 projectiles in my 2 groove and theywork fine. I haven't tried any other sizes so I can't comment.
I load mine out so the projectile engraves the rifling.

1Shirt
03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Trial and error works best for me. If it leads, I keep going bigger until I no longer have a problem. 3-5 rounds will tell me what I want to know regarding both size/fit, leading, accuracy potential.
1Shirt!:coffee: