PDA

View Full Version : Casting in a Hotel Room

capreppy
03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I am going to be working in Atlanta, GA for 6 weeks (live in Ft Worth, TX). I normally fly home every week (leave Mon morning and return late on Thu). For this 6 week project, I will be stuck there as travel expenses are NOT included so going home every week is out.

I've been reloading for a few months and use MBC 200gr LSWC for my XDm .45ACP. I love their pricing, but want to get into casting for a couple of reasons
- Create Boolits that have a higher tolerance (weight variance)
- Create a supply of boolits for when pricing goes up
- Of course the savings associated with casting your own

I don't currently have any equipment. I do NOT plan on scrounging for WW as I've already spent some amount of time looking and most of the usual suspects either already have someone they sell to or they have a corporate contract to recycle. Given my normal work week (only home on weekends), I would prefer to purchase from this forum the lead that I need. I don't really have time to find WW's, smelt them and then cast. I would prefer to cast (at a higher cost) and then reload.

I will be bringing my reloading equipment with me on this trip. I've found a couple of indoor ranges and am in search of an outdoor range. I want to also dabble in casting while stuck in the hotel. I'll have a normal 8 to 5 work schedule and will have weekends free.

So my question is this. Is it "safe" to cast inside? I know some do with proper precautions, but more specifically in a hotel room. I'll have a window to my room that I can open (already checked). I just need to figure out a way to vent fumes out of the room. I will only be casting the rounds. I will likely be sizing | lubing when I get back to TX. I am looking to use an H&G #68 Mold (basically what my XDm likes now).

If it isn't safe, I'll wait till I get back and set up at home and dabble then. I just figure I'll have a LOT of spare time and I can use some of it to try a new hobby :D

thoughts / comments / concerns?

Carolina Cast Bullets
03-15-2011, 11:05 PM
As a former hotel/motel maintenance man, I would advise against it. The housekeepers have access to the rooms for cleaning. Maintenance also is issued master keys that will open ANY room.

I'd be concerned not about theft, but someone not knowing what your setup is and calling the Management, who might then, call the cops. Not that anything illegal is going on but its a hassle you might not want to put up with.

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet

(I could not pass that one up)

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Cowboy T
03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I would definitely advise against casting indoors. Not only would a lead spill damage the hotel room carpet, but little flakes of lead from the casting process would end up on the floor, thus contaminating an indoor floor. Not nice.

capreppy
03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Carolina, thoughts on reloading?

I'll forego casting till I get back to TX.

Bulltipper
03-15-2011, 11:34 PM
6 weeks is a long time to spend away from home. get some good reading material and stay out of trouble! Good Luck! (You will probably be a boolit master by May) :-)

capreppy
03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
6 weeks is a long time to spend away from home. get some good reading material and stay out of trouble! Good Luck! (You will probably be a boolit master by May) :-)

I already spend an hour a day on this and other forums :(

I only have 4k pieces of .45ACP brass and may have to buy more to keep me busy...LOL

I do have 3k pieces of 9mm brass, but don't actually have a 9mm yet. I guess I could decap | size | prime those :)

I also have 1.5k 5.56 (.223 Remington) military spec brass that I acquired last week that need to have the crimped primers reamed and then processed for yet another weapon I don't have yet :D

I already know I'm going to have to place an order with PV & MBC to keep me busy for 6 weeks. I could build out my ammo supply for the summer so I can spend some good quality time at home when I get back.

Shiloh
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Boy, I couldn't agree with Carolina more. Casting could cause problems.

It is a potential headache. Fire hazard, molten lead spill, contamination, insurance beef, cop visit, ect. Reloading would be easier and then stash your supplies. You could keep it all in a small/medium sized box. One of the LEE hand presses would be perfect. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=650614

A single stage RCBS could work also. You'll need a a way to clean your brass.
This won't polish but it will clean. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=622895

The LEE Powder Dipper will allow you to forgo the scale if you take some notes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=943305
Or make Your own.

Shiloh

capreppy
03-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm already set for reloading.

I'll be bringing my Hornady LnL AP. It is currently mounted to my desk, but will place it on a 2x8 that I'll C Clamp to the hotel table and then stash it in a box when not in use.

I also have two cabela tumblers and plenty of Walnut & Corn Cob medium in 5gal Home Depot buckets.

Have to place a PV order as I'm down to 2300 CCI #300 (LPP), but have plenty of powder. I definitely have to place an order with MBC as I'm down to my last box of 500 of .452 200gr LSWC. I'll probably order 6k to get me thru 6 weeks of loading (for my entire summer) and shooting while in GA.

Combat Diver
03-16-2011, 01:01 AM
capreppy,

I'm assuming that your driving down with all this in your vehcile, correct? You could aways cast at a pinic area on those weekends. I would wait til I got home as suggested. This business trip has been an extended two year tour away from home. I get back this summer and can't wait to start casting again.

CD

capreppy
03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
capreppy,

I'm assuming that your driving down with all this in your vehcile, correct? You could aways cast at a pinic area on those weekends. I would wait til I got home as suggested. This business trip has been an extended two year tour away from home. I get back this summer and can't wait to start casting again.

CD

Yup, definitely driving my own vehicle. Rental car isn't included either. I am taking this gig just to tie me over till another project I am resourced on will start. That project is at a higher rate and expenses are included. This one is will end as soon as possible ;)

The picnic area sounds like a definite possibility, but my only concern would be power. I won't be smelting so no propane tanks and am looking to do a Lee 4-20 pot. I prefer as simple as I can get it (thus the reason I got the Hornady LnL AP as my first press). I'm mechanically inclined and am a quick learn. I'll spend the first few nights in search of a picnic area with power or maybe just maybe pick up a small power generator. Need to get one for the house anyway and this may be my excuse :D

HATCH
03-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I would reload in the room but not cast.
You might need to just spend the money on some cast boolits from Carolina Cast Bullets (he is in augusta I think) and just reload in the hotel.
You don't need a tumbler if the brass is already clean and you pick up your own brass.

And concerning the hotel. If you put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out they will not clean your room. Just once a week clean up your reloading stuff and let them come in and clean.
Not a big deal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
My Thoughts.
will you have a ground floor room ?
Call the Motel/Hotel manager/Owner and
be honest with them about the casting and ask them about casting
outside, bring your own table/bench, run the cord through the window.
I'm 99% sure they will say no...But what can it hurt to ask ?
Jon

PS: most picnic shelters in my area have outlets...of course the city/county
usually rent them out in the summer on weekends for family type events.

Circuit Rider
03-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Capreppy, hopefully some boolit boys from the Atlanta area will chime in and tell you of some shops to visit and places to shoot. Come on you Georgia crackers, let capreppy hear from you. Combat Driver, Thanks for your service!

NSP64
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Go old school.
Good hot fire with a cast iron pot and a dipper.
Hotel-Reload yes, cast no.

Hickory
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Man! You have it bad!

capreppy
03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Go old school.
Good hot fire with a cast iron pot and a dipper.
Hotel-Reload yes, cast no.

I am at a point in life where I have more money than time. Quick and efficient is the name of the game for me. I like to shoot LOTS and reloading is helping with that. The next step is obviously casting so I can shoot more for less.

Am looking at equipment and am possibly looking at a Magma Cast Master (idiot proof (mostly) and fast. I am also looking at a Star Sizer/Luber. I want to be able to cast / size / lube as much as I can at one sitting as possible so I can focus on shooting.

All of it including shooting is very relaxing and therapeutic for me. Plus my wife shoots with me and I have two .45ACP's to feed. I am also looking to get a pair of his and her's 9mm Lugers. A couple that shoots together stays together. Of course if she ever gets pissed at me then she'll has two weapons to shoot my butt with...LOL

fryboy
03-16-2011, 09:13 AM
even with ingots the casting in the hotel room isnt a good idea , yes i know some of us do it in our home/basement etc ( key word "our" ) i know folks who do it in apts. tho ....the cord out the door is a good idea or possibly a lil generator , a large industrial aluminum cookie sheet ( appox 3' x 2' ) usually has sides about a inch high and would make a dandy base , if you had a van you could set it up in there , i knew a guy who once rented a storage shed that had power , he used it for a very small custom knife shop ( that's the best idea i can think of )

capreppy
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I'll be working in Duluth and found two indoor ranges just need to find a good outdoor range as I prefer to shoot outdoors (especially with lead). I have several outdoor ranges within 30 minutes of my home and finding one near Duluth has been difficult.

capreppy
03-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Hmm. A small rental storage place with power sounds like an AWESOME idea. I'll have to check that out when I get home. Issue is I can't fit a bench in my car (Accord Coupe). I would need something that I could mount all this stuff to that I would be willing to leave there (or give away to one of the ATL members here) after I leave.

wiljen
03-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Casting over carpet is a really bad idea. Sooner or later you will drop a chunk of sprue and it will burn a hole in the carpet. I wouldn't cast over anything other than concrete or outdoors.

Green Frog
03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
It sounds to me like what you really need to do is forget the casting aspect and get into the old "kitchen table" or "hunting camp" style of reloading. A Lyman 310 tool, a Lee Loader, or one of the Lee hand held presses, along with a modest supply of components (all of which fit in a moderate sized box and can be stored in your vehicle if security at the hotel becomes a concern) and you are in business. Find a suitable public range (indoors or out) and you can empty your brass and start the process over again. This type of loading is good practice for us all, and is probably calming and therapeutic after a frustrating day at work! :-P

JMHO and worth what you paid for it!!
Froggie

rockrat
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Yup, a Lee Hand press is good. You can size/bell your 9mm and 45acp cases. With a Lee Hand Prime, you can then prime everything. Put your cases in a couple of 50cal cans and use one for the hand press and hand prime/primers. When I shot alot of IHMSA, I would carry my stuff in a 50 cal can and if it looked like a shootoff was going to happen, I would reload my cases because running out of ammo wasn't a good idea in a shootoff.
A sturdy card table would work in conjunction with a storage space. Table should fit in your car. Of course, you can buy alot of boolits for what the storage area costs, your call.
I wouldn't do the casting in the hotel room though.

Doby45
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Let me know when you are in town and maybe we can hook something up so you can come over to my house and cast a mess of H&G68s up with my Miha 4 cavity mold. You will evidently be here for a few weekends and if we can get you some cast during your first couple of weekends then you would have plenty to load while you are here. I am about an hour to your west in Powder Springs. Just let me know the weekends you will be here and I will check my calendar and get you some directions. You can cast'em and lube'em with my Star and some Carnuba Red..

Jal5
03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
You are OK Doby! That is what I like most about this forum, people willing to help others out.
sounds like the best deal yet for the original poster.

Joe

capreppy
03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Doby,

I will definitely be taking you up on that offer and will bring food and drinks (for after).

I am still waiting on the recruiter to say YES be onsite on Monday (or sometime next week).

Doby45
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Just PM me your details and we will get it worked out.

megafatcat
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I reload in a hotel a lot. Mount your press to a 2x4 with some felt on the bottom to stop scratches. Clamp it to the nightstand with the top drawer pulled out. Supplies in a tote and pack it away at night.
Case trimming is done outside. Bare feet and brass shavings
Casting WILL set off the fire alarms. Don't ask.
If you are working construction you can cast there after hours.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_115314d811f3e37641.jpg[/img] (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=226[img)

Baron von Trollwhack
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
How can you really consider moulding and some reloading activities in a room you rent for accommodations when you apparently know so little about what you are doing?

Forget that. Take up that offer to go elsewhere to learn.

You are only asking for trouble in today's environment to conduct some of those activities should they come to the management's attention, whether or not there is real hazard involved. You will easily establish a record for being a nut job like Laughner if management intervenes. Do not even think about having privacy in a rented room, present or absent.

Go to the library and read about the loading subjects that intrest you on this topic. Develop a knowledge base. BvT

Firebricker
03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I travel quite a bit when works good and I cast in the room a lot of the time. I'll of the posts above are spot on IMO So to deal with some of that I have fire blanket I spread out to protect the floor and use a welding coat for a table cloth. I keep everything in a tote or wooden box out of site while at work. Ventilation is a real concern I only use clean ingots from metal already smelted at home. I like motels were the door leads outside and leave it cracked or use the bathroom counter with the ceiling fan on and make sure there no water around. I do agree prepping brass or something not involving molten metal is a better idea. But at the same time if you need to catch up on your casting it's really not a big deal just use extra caution. One other negative thing is when your buddies start telling people at work to watch out theres a guy at the motel prying wheel weights off parked cars LOL BTW good luck with your job there sure getting harder to find. FB

Catshooter
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Mmm. I'll be the contraian. :)

I'd find a way to cast. Six weeks is a long time, and that's if the project doesn't run longer. What if it gets extended to 10? Or 12?

It's true that if you drop molten lead onto a carpet it'll melt in place, so? Go to Home Depot and get some 1/4 hardboard and cast on top of it. Go to the Goodwill and get a dozen bath towels and cover the hardboard with 'em. Then the sprues you do end up dropping won't bounce onto the carpet. Only cast on the weekend? Hang the Don't Disturb sign all weekend and cast away.

Get a couple of small 'personal' fans for ventilation. When you're done, pack everything away into the trunk of your car. Don't give in to the small problems of life, defeat them! There is aways a way.

Think of just how many boolits you could come home with!

Cat

waksupi
03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
By now, you could have cast as many boolits as you can shoot!

;o)

capreppy
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Well as I was driving home from work today, I got a call about another project in Toronto, ON. It pays more and pays for travel so I can travel home every weekend like I (and my wife) are used to. I am a software consultant and travel is part of my job. I've been working from home for the last 3 months so I've had the opportunity to go to the range 3 or 4 times a week and reload every chance I get.

My wife has basically said, my bottom is going to Canada.

With that being said, I'll have my weekends back at home and I can take my time to learn, setup and start casting. I'm in no hurry and I'll spend the next couple of weeks researching this as much as I did reloading before I started that aspect of shooting.

I've already read a fair amount and I'll take up on offer similar to Doby's from someone local to me. It was going to be June or July because of the ATL project, but I can do it now in a few weeks.

crabo
03-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Hmm. A small rental storage place with power sounds like an AWESOME idea. I'll have to check that out when I get home. Issue is I can't fit a bench in my car (Accord Coupe). I would need something that I could mount all this stuff to that I would be willing to leave there (or give away to one of the ATL members here) after I leave.

Use a Black and Decker Workmate to mount it all to. Cut a larger top for it that you can bolt on and you are good to go. Just how much stuff do you want to put on it?

wiljen
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Cast them in advance and have somebody at your home mail you a flatrate box care of your workplace. 70 lbs of boolits ought to cover about all you could shoot in 6 weekends and if it wont, certainly 2 boxes would. Mail what's left back saves weight limit on the plane ride.

mold maker
03-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Both LEE and Midway sell portable reloading stands. Neither are exceptionally expensive, and both will handle light duty loading. (not swaging or FL rifle sizing)
Hotel/Motels will consider casting a FIRE HAZZARD. They will also have a fit about introducing "That dangerous Lead" into their environment. Even the presence of powder and primers will get you expelled. A stray primer in the carpet, and a vacuum sweeper, can cause a lot of excitement.
Finding a reloader/caster that is willing to share time with you is by far the best consideration.

nwellons
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Google Georgia DNR rifle ranges for a list of free ranges in Georgia.

I use the Clybel WMA which is about 1 hour East of Atlanta. I'm not sure about others but Clybel has 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. The shooting area has tables, benches, racks, and is covered. All DNR ranges are free and open every day except Sunday. There is no problem with out of state shooters, either.

Skipper488
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of the park. I use a coleman stove and an iron pot to cast out of anyway so there is no problem with power. The weather is getting nice and getting out of the hotel room is a must for those extended trips. I was in Montgomery for 6 weeks programming for the Hyundai plant and I thought I'd go crazy.

wellfedirishman
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
To be safe, don't do either in a hotel room.

If you read the hotel room contract carefully, there is very likely a prohibition against the use of chemicals, inflammables, etc. in the room. You don't want to get a nasty fine or unwanted police attention if the maid finds these in there. Remember, primers are explosives and most uneducated (i.e., don't know about guns, reloading, etc.) people freak out at this stuff.

loumg
03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Have you checked out Canadian customs in regard to primers, etc.

capreppy
03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks all for the comments / concerns. With the change in plans, I'll be traveling weekly so I won't need to reload or cast in the hotel room. I'll reload and learn to cast from home on the weekends when I am home.

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-17-2011, 09:39 PM
When looking for a place to shoot away from home you will want to keep in mind that many privately owned indoor ranges will not allow lead projectiles in their establishments. They require a fully plated or fully jacketed bullet with no lead exposed. A quick phone call asking that question will take care of that. Good luck.

Mike

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Even the presence of powder and primers will get you expelled. A stray primer in the carpet, and a vacuum sweeper, can cause a lot of excitement.

I got excited just reading that :mrgreen:
(I was looking for a smiley of a maid holding an exploding vaccuum cleaner):twisted: