PDA

View Full Version : Win model 75 w/British proofs

218bee
03-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Didnt get a response in the rimfire section so I thought someone here may know something about a buddys rifle.
Friend came over last weekend to do some 22 target shootin and he had two Model 75 Winchester Target's he wanted to show me and possibly sell me one. Both shot very well and we had a ball but I noticed one of them had a bunch of stampings/marks on barrel in front of reciever. Had to get my glasses and we found it had some British proofs on it. It has "not made in england" stamped on barrel and reciever both if I remember. Has the crown with BNP below it. Has a proof of xxx(don't remember) in square inches?? we guess as it has a stamped square box followed by in.. Did not see any "re-import" marks. Well I bought the unmarked 75 as he wants to hang on to the British proofed one not that it probably has very much more value but it does add to the "cool" factor.
Anyway can anyone provide any more info on this rifle? I know we shipped many firearms to the British. I think this one was made in late forties by serial number(one I got was from (42). I'm guessing was used for target work more than military trainer but dont know. Any info would be fun to find out, I told my buddy Id try and dig up some info or sources for more info.
Thanks

m.chalmers
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Pre 1968 import mark is the "not made in England". BNP is the proof test mark that all guns sold in the UK must have. If the Winny was owned by the Mil it would be broad arrow marked ><. Then BNP marked to be sold out of service.

Sounds like a nice old girl :)