PDA

View Full Version : Leading gas piston in AKM

blaster
03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
My Romanian AK has gone on a strict lead diet.
I'm shooting the Lee 160tl checked in a .314 sizer.
BBL slugs at .3118 so call it .312.
Running on 14gr 2400.
Shoots good, doesn't lead, doesn't sling brass a mile.
Runs great...until about the bottom 3rd mag when the the gas piston leads up and it starts choking, by the fourth its a straight pull.

I tried dip lubing before sizing, for those of you not familiar with TL dipping them is probably equivalent a good size groove full of soft lube, with with the thought that since it wasn't leading just tumbling maybe the extra lube would migrate to the gas piston and hold off the lead. FAIL.

Next I tried alternating 4cast 1jword full power with the hope that the full power rounds would blow the lead off. FAIL.

I'm about out of ideas. My next guess i think is going to be a couple drops of kroil through the vents on the gas tube every mag.

Unless someone has a idea/snakeoil to cure my problem.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2011, 07:15 PM
How long did it take you to fire off those 30 rounds?

What alloy are you using?

NuJudge
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
The AK has the reputation of having a lot of power behind its piston thrust. You are running a bit less 2400 than I've used, and I have not had this problem. The sticky above recommends a bit more with a very similar bullet.

Has this rifle been shot a few hundred rounds?

Is there sufficient lube on the parts inside the receiver?

blaster
03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Probably 2 minutes. Not rock and rolling but faster than a bolt action. Barrel was hot enough that you didn't want to hold it but not hot enough to burn you if you touched it.

Alloy is water dropped wheel weights + 2 oz tin per 10lb.

I'd like to find a solution to where could rattle them off as fast as i can without concern.

blaster
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Rifle has probably had +/- 1k rounds through it.

A little more lube probably wouldn't hurt. I usually just give it a spray of rem oil before I put hte cover back on.

blaster
03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
How about some of that amazing limited time offer, mows your grass, slices dices and cuts, and gives you a hair cut lead repellent?

Surely some of you m1a/m1 garand guys have similar experience but in reverse (due to the design of the mechanism).

NickSS
03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I have never had gas piston leading in and M1, M1 Carbine, SKS or AK. I mostly shoot either AA 1680 or AA 5744 in mine with about 16 gr of the first and 20 of the second with just plain WW. I will say this and a lot of guys may not agree but whenever I have had leading it usually was being pushed by 2400 so I like slower powders that burn cooler.

truckmsl
03-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I also have had gas block leading inhibit the piston with the AK when there is none at all in the barrel. Only thing I can attribute it to is slight bullet shear as it passes the gas port in the barrel, and the sheared material vaporizes and plates out on the gas block. Just speculation, though.

JIMinPHX
03-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I have no experience with an AKM, but in other gas guns I've seen some improvements from warming up the gas piston & tube to around 250F & then applying some Bullplate.

truckjohn
03-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I have had bad luck with Romanians cutting *Huge* gas port holes right on top of rifling lands..... No matter what you do - it will shave copper if you shoot jacketed and shave lead if you shoot lead...

I was just grumbling about this - because I found all sorts of copper shavings in my gas port...

Of course, ymmv....

Thanks

truckmsl
03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
My gas port is on top of a land as well, but I've never had problems with jacketed shaving. I wonder if it would help to pull off the gas block and round the edges of the port inside of the barrel.

Ernest
03-20-2011, 10:04 PM
may be going to a slower powder would get you more port pressure and help clear the port .

blaster
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I hadn't thought of a slower powder. I the fact that the bbl wasn't leading threw me for a loop.

I think that will be my next fix. Maybe some 4895 or the like.

Hopefully it it isn't an intrinsic problem with the gas. I never noticed any shavings. All the j I've shot have been copper washed steel though.

It is an interesting challenge trying to get a gun to do well, what it was never intended to do.