PDA

View Full Version : .32 rimless

Silent
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking about casting for my dads old .32 rimless pistols, but I can't seem to find case data anywhere. Anyone have a copy of the case data and maybe starting loads for a .32 rimless in one of thier old manuals?

Rangefinder
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I could be having a brain-fart (entirely possible)... But with ".32 rimless", do you mean 32auto/32ACP/7.65 Browning?

Silent
03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
.32 Rimless, it's printed right on the slide. It's an obsolite round in .32 and I'm thinking I might be able to spin the rim down on .32 ACP to make the proper casing, but I need the correct data to work from.

Simmilar to this one CLICKIE (http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=1663&aid=23292&lid=6477609)

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/1663/23292/Detail/354.jpg

georgewxxx
03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
That's a 1903 Colt that fires .32 ACP (AKA .32 Rimless). Sweet little gun. Like all auto's it spits out those tiny .32 ACp empties into the grass and as a reloader, I'm on my hand and knees after each clip full. ...Geo

Bret4207
03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's a 32 Automatic Colts Pistol (ACP). If it's something else other than 32 ACP or 380 ACP then it's a real oddity.

35remington
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
32 ACP has a rim.

Believe it or not.

John J
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Semi-rimmed .32 ACP pistol cartridges

[edit] Semi-rimmedOn a semi-rimmed case the rim projects slightly beyond the base of the case, though not as much as a rimmed cartridge. The tiny rim provides minimal interference feeding from a box magazine, while still providing enough surface to headspace on. Semi-rimmed cases are less common than the other types. The .38 Super, a higher pressure loading of the old .38 ACP case, is notorious for being less accurate than rimless cases, and so most modern .38 Super handguns are chambered so that the cartridge headspaces off the case mouth, like a rimless case. If the chamber is cut shallow, so the case headspaces off the mouth, the rim is used for extraction only; a standard chamber will use the rim for both headspacing and extraction.

The .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .38 ACP and the .38 Super are some handgun examples, while the .444 Marlin is a rifle cartridge that is semi-rimmed.

Silent
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Thats not the exact pistol, just a good representation of it. I've been told by my father that the .32 ACP round will not work in his .32 Rimless. I have yet to find any casing data to support or reject his statements.

35remington
03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Make a chamber cast to find out. Also, try a 32 ACP round in the chamber just to get an rough but not certain idea.

The chances that the pistol is chambered for a "special" round are highly unlikely.

The 32 ACP does have a rim, but it still works, and was still intended for automatic pistols.

Bret4207
03-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Thats not the exact pistol, just a good representation of it. I've been told by my father that the .32 ACP round will not work in his .32 Rimless. I have yet to find any casing data to support or reject his statements.

It's possible the particular 32 ACP ammo your Dad tried wouldn't fit right. But that doesn't mean none of it will. Clean the chamber area and try a fresh factory 32 ACP round, that's what I'd do.

Now if your gun isn't a Colt, and pictures of your gun would be a great help here, I suppose it's possible you have some oddball European WW1 or 2 war trophy. If so, all is not lost. A chamber cast would be the place to start. But that comes after insuring that the chamber is clean and not full of old dried grease or mud or rust.

scrapcan
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
maybe the following page will hep if it is a colt

go to the colt models drop down and look at the 1903 pocket hammerless

http://www.coltautos.com/ModelMci.htm

or here is a direct link to that model.

http://www.coltautos.com/1903ph.htm

Silent
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Nice info link manleyjt, thanks!

I'm going over to see pops in the next day or two, I'll see if I can wander off with one of his .32s and a clip full for measuring what he actually uses for ammo.

scrapcan
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
be very careful in playing with the 32s. they will create a great want for more.

There is lots of load info here for the 32's once you know what you have. If you need some sample cast boolits to try out, those can be had form many members here also. You might do a quick search on 32 acp, 32 S&W, and 32 S&W long. You will like what you read.

Rangefinder
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I could be wrong, but as others have said--I'd bet money that it needs standard .32ACP. The chances of an odd-ball .32 would be almost unheard of ( not impossible, just very unlikely). AND, .32ACP (aka 7.65mm Browning) was very popular during that time. I have one from around the same era (I've seen TONS of handguns from that period and nearly if not all in .32 caliber auto are .32ACP), reload for it, and yes--I'm down on my hands and knees scrounging around in the grass trying to find all my brass quite regularly. I love it dearly.

Larry Gibson
03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Silent

I'm presuming yours is not a Colt(?). There were numerous copies and most of them were in .32 ACP which was called .32 Rimless by many back then. If it is a foreign made copy it is very, very remotely possible to be chambered in 7.63 Mannlicher, 7.65 Roth-Sauer or .35 S&W Auto (actually a .32 caliber and 32 ACP can be fired in it). The 7.63 Mannlicher case is longer and the Roth-Sauer is shorter. However, figure the odds of it being one of those when the .32 ACP/aka .32 rimless was the cartridge of choice for such guns.

Larry Gibson

Silent
03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you if it's a Colt or not right now. I haven't held my dads .32 in probably 10 years. I'm just entertaining the idea of casting and reloading for it since he says he never shoots it because he can't find ammo for it anymore. I'll see him this weekend and see if I can abscond with it and a clip full to take measurements from. It's quite possible that it actually is a .32 ACP, but without the weapon in hand I have no way of knowing for sure.

BLTsandwedge
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you if it's a Colt or not right now. I haven't held my dads .32 in probably 10 years. I'm just entertaining the idea of casting and reloading for it since he says he never shoots it because he can't find ammo for it anymore. I'll see him this weekend and see if I can abscond with it and a clip full to take measurements from. It's quite possible that it actually is a .32 ACP, but without the weapon in hand I have no way of knowing for sure.

Just be prepared for a pinched finger or two when reloading them- those cases are tiny. If yours does turn out to be .32ACP, all .32ACP cases are not created equal. I have a CZ PPK knockoff and it will eat nothing but S&B brass- both the CZ and S&B are from the Czech Republic-the CZ refuses to eat American food. There's a small difference in the rim rebate on the CZ brass that allows it to stack correctly in the magazine.

scrapcan
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I once again warn the op, if you start shooting it you better start saving money as you will end up with a stable full of them soon enough.

When you get more set and know what you have and where you might want to head, let us know we may be able to help.

Bret4207
03-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Way, way back they used to make long barrels for Walthers. If I understand it correctly they made long slides too. A 6" PP in 32ACP with adjustable sights would make a fine field gun, except for the brass loss issue.

Silent
03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I managed to pry my dads .32 away from him, and on the way home I picked up a box of .32 Auto (ACP) to do some measurements on. Pops kicked down 3 boxes of misc .32 cartridges that he's been using, so I had something to compair to. The old rounds are marked .32 Auto on the headstamps, and so are the new .32 Auto's. They both measure out the same within .003, so I'm realativly certain that there going to fire fine. I'm going to hit the indoor range later just to make sure. Old round is on the left, new on the right.

Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP - Standard Variation Type I - First year production run, 1903.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/NAA_Silent/Firearms/IMAG0123.jpg

You can see where it's labeled as "Rimless"
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/NAA_Silent/Firearms/IMAG0125.jpg

On a side note, what's this pistol worth anyway? It's not mint, but it's not in bad shape either for being 108 years old.

Bret4207
03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Yup, that's a 32 Auto/ACP. Make sure the chamber is clean and there's nothing physically blocking the cartridge from entering fully.

Larry Gibson
03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Very nice family heirloom there and probably a fun little shooter. As Bret mentions make sure the chamber/barrel are clean and enjoy shooting the .32 ACP.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
First-year production? Whatta JEWEL. That one is worth getting the factory letter for. It's in darn good shape, too. And in 32 ACP.

Yeah, the 32s are addictive, all right. And CHEEP to shoot with cast boolits, component cost is less than Mini-Mag 22 LR unless you're really getting hosed on casting metal prices. Pretty darn accurate, too--much more so than 380 ACP, in my experience.

Silent
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
First-year production? Whatta JEWEL. That one is worth getting the factory letter for. It's in darn good shape, too. And in 32 ACP.

My dads had this pistol for as long as I can remember. The serial number is under 1,900. The bluing is shot, and there's a few minor dings, but not bad shape at all for it's age. Mechanically everything is sound and looks serviceable.

I've already cleaned the chamber and barrel and test fitted a few ACP and some of the old rounds to verify fit. Everything I've checked so far is within .003, and that's not bad IMO. I'm headed to the range this evening to send a few .357 rounds down range, and while I'm there I'm going to send a few of the .32 ACP down as well.

Silent
03-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Just got back from the range, and it's verified. This pistol shoots .32 Auto (ACP) flawlessly. I fired 25 rounds through it with only 1 failure to feed. Thanks for all the great info folks!

I also sent 225 .357 boolits down range as well with a friend of mine :D Him and his 6" Colt Python, and me with my 2.25" Ruger SP101. Life is good :drinks:

scrapcan
03-22-2011, 10:45 AM
The one thing you will have to watch is your technique when shooting this handgun and cartridge. You have to be honest and not limp wrist or anticipate recoil, you will know if you are doing either.

Very nice handgun. Take care of it and feed it well and it will make you smile alot!