PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Bar-B-Que sauce.

Hunter
11-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Well now we are all friends here I figured I would share a recipe we use to make true NC Bar-B-Que sauce. You all know how funny we are about Bar-B-Que, sweet tea, and buttermilk biscuts.
Start off with 3/4 gallon of while distilled vinger in a large pot on medium heat.
Add 1/4 gallon of apple cider vinger.
Then I usually add about 3 or so heaping table spoons of cayene pepper while stirring.
Next comes about 2/3 cup of crushed red pepper and about 5 heaping table spoons of black pepper and stir.
After that has taken set I will add about 2-3 heaping table spoons of salt and chili powder.
Next comes the Texes Pete, depending on how warm you like your sauce I usually add about 1/2 to 2/3 cup.
1 small bottle of green and red Tabasco sauce and stir well.
Next I will add 2 cans of Coke and 3 cans of beer (the other 9 beers are for me) and stir.
Then I add a double handfull of brown sugar and depending on how sweet you like it a small amount of maple syrup. I may add 2 shot glasses full.
1 cup of well water and then 2 heaping table spoons of garlic powder and stir.
Here is where the testing comes in. If more heat is needed increase Texas Pete if much more heat is needed cayene pepper will do the trick (go slow a little goes a long way)
If a little too warm add apple cider vinger and if way too warm brown sugar but I try and leave the brown sugar to a min.
After you have gotten it like you want it add a box of club crackers crushed nicely (not salteen). This does little for flavor but the crushed crackers will absorb the sauce and when you brush it on the crackers will cling to the meat so not all the sauce runs off.
After it comes to a boil I usually boil about 10-15 minuets stirring semi regular.
This will make enough to slow cook on charcoal/hickory a 125 pound hog for about 14 or so hours.
*note* have pleanty of beer handy for obvious reasons.
It may take a few tries to get it just like you like it so take this and make it your own.

PatMarlin
11-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Bless you sir.. :mrgreen:

Gotta try that. No catsup or tomato is anykind?

I used to have a teacher in the 5th grade from NC. His name was Mr. Mountcastle, and I thought highly of NCuns from then on out.. :drinks:

Dale53
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
PatMarlin;
You better be careful what you are suggesting....

My son lives in N.C. and I have eaten much barbecue there. The "Vinegar" crowd might lynch a fellow who suggests such as that.

Frankly, I like both the "Vinegar" type and the "other type" of sauce. You just need to be careful who you are with before you discuss it (in some southern circles it is more dangerous to discuss than politics LOL).

Dale53, in jest.

Glen
11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Dale53 --

I know what you're saying! I grew up in Texas, where barbeque is beef, and the sauce is tomato-based. I went to grad school in North Carolina, and brought my concepts of barbeque with me. I was quickly, and firmly, informed of the error of my ways, that PROPER barbeque was pork, and the "sauce" was vinegar based.

While the tomato-based sauces of Texas barbeque are commonly carefully guarded secrets, with a multitude of ingredients and extended cooking times, the vinegar-based Carolina barbeque sauces are generally just cider vinegar, with some brown sugar and red pepper added (and sometimes a little molasses).

When it comes to barbeque, I likes 'em both! Pass the potato salad, please!

felix
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
It is the combination of the entire food selection that makes a BBQ just right. Fatty foods require a more sour sauce, in general. Part of the combo includes the brand of smoke, i.e., hickory, pecan, mesquite, apple. ... felix

Topper
11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I know what you're saying! I grew up in Texas, where barbeque is beef, and the sauce is tomato-based. I went to grad school in North Carolina, and brought my concepts of barbeque with me. I was quickly, and firmly, informed of the error of my ways, that PROPER barbeque was pork, and the "sauce" was vinegar based.
Too funny, just the opposite here.
Moved from Memphis to Austin.
On day I asked for a chopped pork barbeque sandwich with the sauce on the coleslaw.
Waitress said your from Memphis and you'll never be satisfied with Texas pork barbeque. LOL.

Glen
11-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Topper -- You remind me of something I haven't seen anywhere but North Carolina, and now I'm hungry for one. When you order a chili burger, you get the burger and it has chili on it, but there's coleslaw on the burger with the chili on top of the cole slaw. It looks like a mess, but oh my goodness, is it ever good!

PatMarlin
11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Scuuuuuuse this California boy.. :mrgreen:

Chili burger reminds me of Fat Burger in LA (Los Angeles). Chili, Cheese, egg over easy, all the trimmings. A mess but real good. Been 20 years at least since I had one.. :drinks:

Bigscot
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Being a native Carolinian and having traveled over the whole state, I have tried both types of BBU, Eastern NC bbq and Piedmont bbq.
Eastern is usually whole hog bbq with the vinegar sauce and white or regular slaw, hush puppies and or corn sticks.
Piedmont is whole shoulder bbq and the sauce is tomato based but not sweet like KC, Memphis, Tx. The slaw is red having been made with the bbq sauce and there are hushpuppies.
I grew up eating Piedmont and now live in the "Eastern Area" and like them both.
The sauce my wife makes is a combination of the two using ketchup and cider vinegar along with the requisite spices and also some bullion cubes.

I'm getting hungry now. May have to put some shoulders on the cooker this weekend.

Bigscot

PatMarlin
12-09-2006, 02:54 AM
So this sauce isn't even an "EastCoast" WestCoast" thing... It's more like a "Mason Line-Dixon Line" thing?.. :confused: :mrgreen:

Bigscot
12-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Our sauce is an eastern N.C. / Piedmont NC. thing. Don't know anything about east "coast" west "coast" thing.

I did see a show about bbq and they looked at N.C., Memphis, St. Louis and Texas bbq. THEN went to Californica to have a judging. Blew my mind. They liked the sweet candy stuff.

Had some good eastern NC bbq today on a deer hunt.

Bigscot

Topper
12-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Commifonia for bbq judging.
That just ain't right [smilie=b:

WBH
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I am the only one in the house that likes a good vinegar based Carolina BBQ and mopping sauce. My wife likes it "the sweeter the better" sauce. I just make 2 batches and keep both in the fridge. I have made some converts, but not many up here in the mid-west.

Boz330
12-21-2006, 06:57 PM
A farmer from western KY taught me how to BBQ a hog back in the mid 70s and that is what he always used. For seving the pulled pork he would add a can of tomatoe sauce to the mix, more for color than anything else. The primary ingrediants were vinegar, butter, and lemons with what ever spices lurking in the cabinet. When I started BBQing hogs up here in N central KY I would put out a gallon of the sauce and it would disappear in short order..
One time I was cooking for about 100 folks and this one person came up after the meal was pretty much over and complimented me on the soup. We had some bowls there for some of the other sides and I asked what soup, and they pointed out the sauce. That person must have really like vinegar. I can't imagine eating that as soup even as good as it was on the pork.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2006, 07:19 PM
brings back memorys of the roadside barbque stands in NC when i was in the service. Been eating barbaque with tomato sause way to long! Going to have to mix up some and try it. maybe a wild bore hind quarter and make some good pulled pork sandwichs!

cherok9878
12-23-2006, 11:49 PM
It's more like a "Mason Line-Dixon Line" thing?..
Pat, not throwing rocks but only a yankee or a left coaster would refer to the Mason-Dixion Line in that manner.

PatMarlin
12-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Hey I'm a California Sacramento river rat through and through, turned mountain hillbilly... what do I know about that? That's why I was askin' the question.

beagle
12-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Took my Kentucky raised wife to NC last year for a visit. I was raised there and when they served the barbeque, I know what to expect and reached for the BBQ sauce of vinegar and peppers. She's not use to that and it took some time to get use to it. "Smithfield" BBQ is an acquired taste if you weren't raised on it and quite a bit different from the Memphis and Texas versions.

Fortunately, I like em all./beagle

Boz330
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Your right, there ain't no bad Bar-B-Q, just degrees of good.

MDF99
02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I crock potted a 5 pound pork tenderloin in beef broth till tender (bout 7 hours) then shredded it up and made a small quantity of this NC sauce for it. It was as good as any BBQ I've ever had. I made mine on the less sweet side, and took it camping, reheated in a small dutch oven for the guys and it got rave reviews. I give it thumbs up for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

Hunter
02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Well I sure am glad it turned out good for you. My buddy told me once "better not get none on your face because your tongue would beat you eyebrows off to get at it."
You would have to know this fella, he was about a half a bubble off plum to begin with.
Real glad your tenderloin turned out well, made me hungry reading your post!

BigSlick
02-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Did someone say BBQ ?

Something about que and shooting just goes together.

Born and raised in Texas, been all over.

Luv Piedmont que, Memphis ain't bad, but Corky's ain't squat.

Arthur Bryants (KC style version of SL) has such a rep, one of my good shooting buddies and I hit the road one Thursday morning to find out. Not too impressed with SL que.

As far as Texas que, there's Central Texas que (very, very good), border Texas que (take it or leave it) and East Texas que (the best there ever was).

I've got the smokers running now. Two briskets and two pork butts, ribs will go on about 10:30, whole salami (really, try it) and sausage go on at noon. Sweet potatoes on at 7:00 am so we can have sweet potato Steens pie tonight.

We make our own sauce, sometimes tomato based, other times a little sumpin sumpin else. Around here the feeling is, if the que is good, you don't need any sauce. I tend to agree. We make it, and it's good (for our tastes) but we don't usually make too much or it will go to waste. A gallon would last us a lifetime.

Just a few pics from some of my past endeavors, I've got MANY more :mrgreen:.

All wood (hickory and oak), low and slow, no gas, charcoal or lump, no boil, no foil - the way it should be.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/RibsSausage3.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/RibsSausage1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/que5.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/que3.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/que2.jpg
________
Non hazmat non explosive 000cu commando grenade (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/non-hazmat-non-explosive-000cu-commando-grenade/)

BigSlick
02-24-2007, 04:38 AM
A couple more :mrgreen:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/Pork1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/brisket.jpg
________
Z series (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Z_series)

Poygan
02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
BigSlick,
This borders on cruelty to post pictures like these so I view them before breakfast, which, unfortunately, won't be anywheres near to these eats. BTW, what would be the price plus shipping to Wisconsin?

WBH
02-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Perfect smoke ring......Good job.

BigSlick
02-24-2007, 10:57 PM
BigSlick,
This borders on cruelty to post pictures like these so I view them before breakfast, which, unfortunately, won't be anywheres near to these eats. BTW, what would be the price plus shipping to Wisconsin?

If'n I was to ship it, it would be cheaper for you to buy a ticket here and visit and get some first hand :mrgreen:

But I will swap you a mess of Texas que for some cheese curds and ww's :drinks:
________
ESSENTIAL VAAAPP VAPORIZER (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

Poygan
02-25-2007, 09:30 AM
BigSlick,
Cheese curds IMO are only good when they are fresh and still "squeek" when you eat them. What I consider a better deal is that I can still find aged cheese from three to five years old (but not in grocery stores).

I have two garages where I can get free wheelweights. Well, I guess free is a relative term since I just spent over $1500 fixing my truck and my wife's van.

Boz330
03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm with Poygan, My mouth is watering so bad right now I can't hardly stand it. Man that looks good!!!!!!

Bob

GSM
03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
BigSlick:

Any pics of the salami? I had not heard of that before.

Ever try whole baloney in a smoker? Great stuff after its been in for several hours - a 1/2" thick slab is just right between a burger bun.

That pork looks too good.

BigSlick
03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
No pics of the salami that I can find.

I usually let it run about 2? hours @ ~ 230 or so.

Hit it with the smoke early and heat thru good. Let it stay on just a little longer to take some of the moisture out and it makes an incredible topping for grilled pizza.

It's a lot better than you might imagine.

Just buy salami that is whole (or a thick chunk) and put some hickory, mellowed with a little oak and it will turn out well.

You can score it with a knife and cook it like a fatty, but you better get to it before anyone else does, it will be gone in a flash.

When looking for salami, have the butcher give you a sample slice first. You're looking for one with some seasoning, but not too much salt. If the sample you get doesn't taste salty, but does taste almost greasy due to the fat content (when cold), you're good to go.

For a party, cookout or just something to munch on thru the week, right before you put the salami on the smoker, rub it down with a light coat of Steens cane syrup and dust it with cayenne pepper.

Your lips will beat your brains out trying to get it down your throat fast enough :mrgreen:
________
Drug tests (http://drugtestingkit.org)

wiljen
04-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I spent some of my formative years in both NC and TX and must say, I love a good Pork BBQ but when it comes to steaks and brisket, nothing compares to a good mesquite smoking. I tend to think if the rub and the smoke are right, you don't need much of any sauce, just a fork.