PDA

View Full Version : Recieved my Dies

nighthunter
03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
My dies from BT arrived on Saturday. I had cases annealled and soft lead bullets cast in advance so I was ready to try the dies. Surprisingly it's not difficult to get a decent bullet swaged. My dies are .429 and I'm quite pleased with my initial results. So far I have been swageing 250 grain bullets and playing with the 40 S&W case length. I weigh a case and bullet together and add shot pellets to adjust the total weight. Might seem a little slow but I want some uniformity. I didn't think there would be such a weight difference in brass cases. Even with cases of the same head stamp the variance can be large. I have 50 loaded in 44 Mag cases and hope to range test them this afternoon. I'll try to post my results later.

Nighthunter

BT Sniper
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Yep cases can varry in weight. I was supprised to see it too. I have sorted cases and cores by weight then matched them up to form same weight bullets. Of course you can just add a shot or two as well.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT Sniper

nighthunter
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
These bullets shoot really well out of my SBH with 17.0 grains 2400. Gonna try to post a picture of the first 6 I shot at 25 yards.

buck1
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I have seperated by weight, but found the group sizes didnt care eaither way. BUT I learned the hard way a canalure does help lots. about halfing group size. IIRC I was getting 4"groups at 100 yards from a bench with a SBH.

BT Sniper
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I love to see target pics! There is an ever growing number of us here shooting these bullets. Someday maybe will will see a list of succesful loads we all have tried. Think another member here had good luck with light loads of blue dot. Me? I wish I got out to do more shooting. Soon!

Great work night hunter. To be able to get teh dies on saturday and be posting target pics with in 4 days later.... AWESOME!

Good shooting and Swage On!

BTSniper

I can offer cannalure tools from CH at a slightly better price then CH if anyone is interested.

BT Sniper
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Looks like 4 out of 6 into less then 2" at 25 yrds with no load developement and bullets you made yourself. Sounds like a heck of a sales pitch dosn't it. Ok forgive the shameless plug but seriously what are those rings on the target spaced at? 2" apart? Probably a 12"x12" target I suppose.

Good shooting

BT

p.s. What was going threw your mind when you pulled the trigger on the first shot with these home made bullets?

nighthunter
03-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Total diameter of the black area of the target is 5.5 inches. Those were the first 6 shots I took today. Had the butt of the SBH supported on a bag but no other support. I think they did pretty fair. Someone had left some bowling pins at the range so I just had to feed 6 rounds to one of them. I was quite surprised that none of the bullets exited the bowling pin but the bowling pin did do some traveling around the range. I did recover a few fired bullets and expansion is awsum.

I knew my load was safe. I was glas I was the only person there in case they shot badly. They shot well at targets of random at 50 yds and 100 yds besides the target posted at 25 yds. When we get a day thats a little warmer I'll go back and do some serious shooting with the swaged bullets.

BT Sniper
03-16-2011, 12:22 AM
5.5" target! Even better! Take my orginal group estamates and cut them in half!

Good shooting!

BT