PDA

View Full Version : Deer camp with some pics...

dk17hmr
11-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Zac (older brother) and I got back home Saturday night after a week in deer camp. We had a great time.

I didnt see a legal buck to shoot at but I did see a big ol black bear at about 40 yards, where was he in October when I was bear hunting, very impressed as to how he moved through the woods.

Zac got a 30 yard shot at a 6 or an 8 and blew it by tryin to shoot between 2 trees oh well. Shooting the Family 30-30 with 170gr jacketed.

Dad blew a hole the size of Texas in the neck of a 3 point buck. I was just coming up over a hill about 300 yards from my blind and hear dads 30-06 thunder, so I high tailed it over there just in time to get to see dad poke him with his rifle. Help him gut it and drag it the 90 some yards to where my stand is. Dad was hunting it because he hadnt been seein alot of deer and I was walkin the hills all day so I told him he could hunt it if he wanted.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/scottbuck.jpg
Havent converted dad to Cast in his 06, he was shooting almost max load with 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips, threaded a needle with the shot through a little hole in the brush a 90 yard shot.

Few pics of the hunting trip.

Zac and I, if you look close you can see a doe standin between us.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/boysdeer.jpg

Big doe and a fawn I saw every day.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/deeratbait.jpg

On a side note although I didnt fire a bullet I carried my NEF 45-70 with the 32" barrel loaded with 515gr RNFP cast bullets at 1200fsp for better then 20 miles over the week up and down the hills and it was a pleasure to carry. Very well balanced rifle.

454PB
11-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Good story and pictures.

I'm struck by the number of hunting pictures I've seen recently where there is little to no blaze orange. In Mt., we have to wear it, I think the minimum is 300 sq. inches. I personally wear blaze orange from my neck to below my waist, sleeves and all!

357maximum
11-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Quote Mich/dnr(Hunter Orange Clothing Requirements)

You may not hunt with any device, or trap with a firearm, on any lands during daylight hunting hours from August 15-April 30 unless you wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible color, commonly referred to as "Hunter Orange." During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters, including those hunting with a bow and arrow. The garment, featuring Hunter Orange, must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in Hunter Orange, are legal.

Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow and wild turkey, or to archery bear hunters. Archery deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the youth firearm season and the November firearm deer season. ""Quote...mich/dnr

--------
My take on the lack of it in pics...You do not need hunter orange to have your picture taken...IE most of my pictures I am not wearing any...the outermost layers come of first when you are warm from hauling them in....