PDA

View Full Version : Encore Finger?

school of mines
03-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I took my TC Encore with a 45/70 barrel on it to the range today. I just mounted a scope on it this winter and wanted to zero it and test some trapdoor level loads in it. After a couple of rounds I noticed that during recoil, at the top of of my trigger finger I was getting hit. I tried some different finger/grip positions, but I always seemed to smack/pinch my trigger finger during recoil. Anyone else experience this or have a suggestion? I can't tell what is happening for sure.

stubshaft
03-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Mine does that too especially with hard kicking calibers. Since that is what I mostly shoot I have developed a callus on the top of my trigger finger between the first and second joints. Before this area built up I used a band-aid wrapped around that area or a section of shotgun shell (12ga) worn inside a shooting glove to limit abrasion.

DragoonDrake
03-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Both my contender and encore do that. I bought a cheap pair of shooting gloves and just cut a little of the tip off of my trigger finger. I like to feel the trigger with my bare flesh. Not being able to feel the metal throws me off a little.

dragonrider
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Yup happens with mine too. Don't know how to stop it.

school of mines
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Glad it's not just me! Looks like a pair of shooting gloves are in order! Thanks for the input. I thought I just had poor hand position on the stock.

bearcove
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Doesn't do it at all with .22lr

Four Fingers of Death
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I have only used my Encore with the 308W Bbl so far, shooting 180Gn Remington Corelokts off the bench to sight it in. It booted a bit but i didn't notice my finger getting whacked. Must get out in the bush with it and see. I have a pair of fingerless gloves, I will throw them in as well.

stubshaft
03-16-2011, 12:16 AM
I didn't notice it with anything lighter than my old 460S&W and only in my pistol barrels.

Ed in North Texas
03-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Just a quick reminder seems in order. Putting a Contender barrel on an Encore results in your having an SBR without paying the NFA tax. Nuff said?

DragoonDrake
03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Ed putting any pistol barrel on a rifle serial number results in an SBR. If your frame started life as a pistol it does not matter.

stubshaft
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
How would you fit a Tender barrel onto an Encore?

Shooter
03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I have an Encore with .45-70, 7mm Mag., and .450 Marlin barrels.
I have never got my finger whacked.
It might have something to do with hand size or hold.

EOD3
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I have an Encore Pistol in .308 Win that smacks purdy good too. I built-up the top of the grip with mole-skin to change the recoil angle a bit. Works for me.

Four Fingers of Death
03-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Its funny we can own all of the serious Contender/Encore pistols up to 45cal (for target shooting and bigger bores for BP), but they have never, ever sparked the tiniest interest for me in them. I know they are loved and enjoyed by many, but carrying a pistol that would weight another poiund or two in rifle format just don't make no sorta sense as my old American friend used to say. Different strokes for different folks. My mate hunts with his T/C Encores in all sorts of kick ass calibres all the time. The cops would string him up if they caught him. (he carries a rifle as well just in case he is visible from the road. ).

Geraldo
03-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Its funny we can own all of the serious Contender/Encore pistols up to 45cal (for target shooting and bigger bores for BP), but they have never, ever sparked the tiniest interest for me in them. I know they are loved and enjoyed by many, but carrying a pistol that would weight another poiund or two in rifle format just don't make no sorta sense as my old American friend used to say. Different strokes for different folks. My mate hunts with his T/C Encores in all sorts of kick ass calibres all the time. The cops would string him up if they caught him. (he carries a rifle as well just in case he is visible from the road. ).

We can't figure out why anyone would carry an extra couple of pounds of barrel and stock just to get a few more FPS out of the same cartridge. Put another way, if I wanted to carry the same weight as a rifle, I could take my Contender and two barrels in two different chamberings. Let's see you do that with your rifle. :wink:

On the original question, what type of grips are you using? I'm not saying to switch to rubber or synthetic, but a change in hand position might fix this problem. Or in .45-70 it might not matter.

blasternank
03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
My trigger finger seems to be fine but my middle finger next to the shooting finger seems to get hit or scraped.

cajun shooter
03-26-2011, 11:57 AM
You have a few ways to stop the problem.
(1) Buy a pair of shooting gloves I don't care for that as the heat in summer makes my hands sweat.
(2) Tape your fingers where the trigger guard is hitting them. Not with band aids but with the skin colored 3M tape sold with the band aids. It streches and is waterproof.
(3) Tape the trigger guard or use a leather wrap on it like us cowboy shooters use on lever rifles.
I had a Baikil SXS that made my fingers bleed when I fired it. I used step 2 for matches with great sucess until I sold it.

Doc_Stihl
04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I've never whacked my fingers, but I've seen several people do it with my rifles and pistols.

The 375HH pistol is the only one that's ever hurt me. Forend sheared both screws while shooting in on the bench and it bit me good.

onesonek
04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I can't add to what has been said to the op..
But wanted to say you are right about the different strokes part FFoD.
Handgun hunting with the TC's or other specialty pistol's is just another type of challenge that is very rewarding. For some, it don't make sense considering the weight, but again that's a not the factor,,,,it's the challenge. But sometimes a pound or 2 does make a difference in some terrains also.

aaalaska
04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Never had the problem till I picked up a 460 S&W pistol barrel, finally had a brake installed,
Alex

ss30378
11-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Its been a while since this post had any action but i went to the range today with my 45-70 encore and i bloodied my trigger finger like above. This is normal anytime i start shooting the warm and hot loads. At first i thought it was the trigger guard but this time i had blood stains on the gun to show me what was taking a bite out of me. It looks like its actually the bottom of the action in line with the trigger that is doing it. At first it will form a blood blister then it will pop it. Im assuming this is more common with the medium to smaller hands (i have short fat hands) since a bigger paw lets your finger stay away from the edge that bites. The thumbhole stock seem s to keep my hand a bit further away so i swapped the recoil pad off the prohunter stock to it and ill see how that works. Ill also bring a glove with me next time so my bench doesn't look like a murder scene again...

selmerfan
11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Someone please show me where T/C keeps a record of "rifle" frames or "pistol" frames. I purchased my frame brand-new "naked" with no barrel and no furniture. It started life as a 12" .454 Casull barrel. The entire point of the T/C switch-barrel frame systems is to switch barrels and furniture, rifle or pistol, and if you contact T/C they will tell you to go ahead and swap as you please.

selmerfan
11-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Oh, and in regard to the OP - I purchased custom grips from Denzel Roberts to tame the recoil of the .454 Casull with heavy boolits. I have never fired an Encore with factory grips and even with 320 gr. cast boolits at 1700 fps my fingers have never been damaged while firing the Encore. You might look into Denzel's grips. http://dwrobtcwoodnmor.tripod.com/ I have no vested interest in his work, I'm just a happy customer.

leadman
11-26-2011, 03:24 AM
The atf released a letter in July 2011 addressing the issue of going from pistol to rifle and back again.
I could not copy it but if you go the atf website and google Contender it should come up.

selmerfan
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks leadman - all of the debates and info I've seen were prior to that date. I'll check it out.

selmerfan
11-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Okay, so, does T/C register frames as originally "rifle" or originally "pistol"? Would my "naked" frame be ambiguous, or defined by the first barrel placed on it, the .454 Casull barrel? Otherwise the ruling has upheld the versatility of the T/C Contender and Encore systems to swap between pistol and rifle, as long as you're not an idiot and don't put the buttstock on when you have your 15" pistol barrel attached.

selmerfan
11-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Conclusion of ruling from: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.
Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.
Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
(a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
(b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including –
(1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
- 4 -
(2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
To the extent this ruling may be inconsistent with any prior letter rulings, they are hereby superseded.
Date approved: July 25, 2011
Kenneth E. Melson
Acting Director