PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean this casting pot. I really goofed!

piwo
11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Ok, I'm new, and I made what must be a total rookie mistake. Air ball number 1! :(

After getting an electric Lee casting pot two years ago for Christmas, I began experimenting and asking some questions from casters and was able to cast some nice quality roundballs for my 54 caliber flintlock. It's a scratch rifle I designed and built, and though not perfect, functions well and has taken several deer over the past 5 years hunting with it. Back to my blunder. :oops:

After using it, I left some lead in the pot, put it in its box, and didn't look at it for two years. Now to my surprise, it's got rust looking substance caked on the inside, and it's MURDER trying to remove.. (I’ll give you all a few seconds to pick yourselves off the floor from laughing, shaking your heads, and uttering contemptuous slurs):-D

Now, what exactly happened, why, but most importantly, what the heck do I do to remove this crud? Am I ever going to be able to cast anything of quality, or did I mess this thing up permanently??

I humbly await your comments and suggestions.
PS: I did surf the forum looking for this topic, and didn't see it right off (which doesn't make me feel any better at all)!

Bullshop
11-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Chill pill dude! Just get it up to temp about 3/4 full and flux it real good a couple times and go make boolits. Now dont ya feel better!
BIC/BS

piwo
11-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Chill pill dude! Just get it up to temp about 3/4 full and flux it real good a couple times and go make boolits. Now dont ya feel better!
BIC/BS

Ok.. I'll fire it back up, mix in some Marvelux (that's what I have), and wait for the magic. I'm guessing you stir that stuff in good. The crud is not just at a single level, but from top to 3/4 way to the top.. Going outside to watch the magic.....

Thanks for the quick response. I'll post some pics of my rifle and some deer with it on the BP thread later on.....

Thanks!
piwo

PS: I tried to give up those "chill pills" after college, but well, and order is an order!;)

454PB
11-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Once it's empty, it might be a good idea to dry scrub it out with a wire brush. I use the stainless steel brushes sold at welding suppliers that look like a big toothbrush. Take care so you don't inhale any of the dust.

montana_charlie
11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Ok.. I'll fire it back up, mix in some Marvelux (that's what I have), and wait for the magic.
I've never used Marvelux, so maybe I'm wrong. But (just from reading about it) I have the impression that substance is much better at causing rust than helping in it's removal...
CM

piwo
11-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I've never used Marvelux, so maybe I'm wrong. But (just from reading about it) I have the impression that substance is much better at causing rust than helping in it's removal...
CM

Hmmmmm,
Well now, that may be a partial root of the problem, as I used it when I was casting some time ago. What alternative to you suggest? I was given a thin wafer of "bees wax" by a blackpowder shooter but never tried it.

And thanks for the suggestions: I'll go get some wire brushes at lunch tomorrow and give it a good scrubbing. My fluxing this evening did remove a great deal, but not all.

Bent Ramrod
11-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Your rust may not be rust at all. One form of lead oxide is a reddish brown powder, and looks very much like iron oxide. Unless the pot is pitted through, my advice would be the same as other posters: fire that sucker up and start casting!:-D

454PB
11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I DO use Marvelux, and montana_charlie is correct.....it's hygroscopic and will attract moisture. However, I've not found that to be a problem with the melting pot itself. With our low humidity in Montana, I've never had any rusting of the pot itself, in fact Marvelux seems to leave a protective coating that reduces rusting. However, using it requires preheating any stirrer or dipper that has been previously used in Marvelux. You'll get a lot of bubbling and fizzing and possibly a visit from the tinsel fairy if you plunge a cold dipper into molten lead after using Marvelux.

piwo
11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Your rust may not be rust at all. One form of lead oxide is a reddish brown powder, and looks very much like iron oxide. Unless the pot is pitted through, my advice would be the same as other posters: fire that sucker up and start casting!:-D

I like the sound of that! The pot is not pitted, and there is a brownish powder and a definite reddish powder caked on, though the fluxing removed a bunch of it. I was recommended to this forum by friend from another gun forum who suggested I check it out when I said I wanted to "harden" my .535 round balls I use for hunting. I'm going to go cow elk hunting in December with my "flint", and wanted something with a tad more "punch" to it then the soft lead I've been using on whitetail deer.

I'll scrub the sucker a little, and just start casting some round balls. Gonna test them this weekend with a doe tag!

Bullshop
11-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Prolly too late but I would use a stick with a square edg to scrape the sides of the pot while fluxing.
BIC/BS

anachronism
11-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Often, you can clean the pot with nothing more than water. Drain all the lead, then unplug the pot, and let it cool completely. Fill the cold pot with water, and bring it to a boil, or use boiling water if you'd rather. Scrub the inside of the pot with a small stiff brush. Dispose of the dirty water in a safe manner, it's toxic. It's amazing how well this can clean up a dirty pot.

piwo
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Prolly too late but I would use a stick with a square edg to scrape the sides of the pot while fluxing.
BIC/BS

I'd used a spoon already, but the majority of the crud came out. Thanks for the tip.

Often, you can clean the pot with nothing more than water. Drain all the lead, then unplug the pot, and let it cool completely. Fill the cold pot with water, and bring it to a boil, or use boiling water if you'd rather. Scrub the inside of the pot with a small stiff brush. Dispose of the dirty water in a safe manner, it's toxic. It's amazing how well this can clean up a dirty pot.

Excellent. I'm going slip out at lunch today, buy a good brush, and try the water cleaning and scrubbing when I get home from work. Hopefully I will be casting this evening, before the rain/snow moves in.

montana_charlie
11-28-2006, 01:33 PM
What alternative to you suggest? I was given a thin wafer of "bees wax" by a blackpowder shooter but never tried it.
My preferred flux is a wooden stick.
You can read about that here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=121832&postcount=27).
CM

KCSO
11-28-2006, 09:29 PM
If it takes a wire brush to get it off the pot it's not likely to come off in use. I wouldn't worry. Flux good and go.

John Boy
11-30-2006, 12:09 AM
My preferred flux is a wooden stick.
As Charlie says ... wood makes an excellent fluxing material, stick or otherwise...
The otherwise is sawdust. Throw some in your pot, stir and watch the dross float. Then put some more in the pot. It makes an excellent insulator.

Foundries used it as a cheap fluxing material