PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Mosin Nagant - Izzy

roots911
03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I was at the gun store today and saw a 91/30 with the pre-war escution plates on the stock. I've been half way looking for that type of stock to put on my 1938 Tula so I started to give it a closer look. Very nice wood with only a few minor damaged areas - no repairs or replaced wood. Then I noticed that the butplate and the magazine had the same number as the barrel-including the cyrillic letters. The fit of the metal to the stock was very good also. Well it followed me home and took it to the bench for disassembly. Then I found that the stock had the same number as the barrel written in pencil inside the inletting for the action. This rifle was still covered with a thin layer of cosmoline so I have to assume that the parts are authentic. The cyrillic letters are an exact match on all parts that are so stamped. The bolt only carries the four numbers and no cyrillic so it is an arsenel rework. Guess that I will keep this Izzy intact and look later for a pre war stock for the Tula! I have not seen this many matching parts on any other 91/30 that I have looked at. Will post some pics later.
Frank

roots911
03-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I took some pictures today. Haven't slugged the bore yet.
Frank

Combat Diver
03-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Looks real nice, enjoy!

CD

jack007
03-17-2011, 08:41 PM
That is a looker . Tell us how it shoots

roots911
03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Took the Izzy out today with handloads to see how well she would do. Loads were 206 gr 316299 sized to .313 and over 13.5 grains of red dot. Well after sighting her in - had to move the front sight and set the rear to the 700 line - she put a three round group with a 3/4 inch spread at a hundred yards. At that point I quit! I think that I will definitely keep her!!
Frank

Added a pic of the target- Holes to left and right were adjusting the sights. The three holes near the "9" at 12 oclock were the last three shots.

truckjohn
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Great job!

I really think these rifles are serious sleepers...... especially for the cheap prices.

Thanks

waltham41
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
The bad thing about the low price on these rifles is that people buy them thinking they are junk, and proceed to chop and drill on them.

When there are no more to be had and the price starts going up, I hope those people kick theirselves in the rear.