PDA

View Full Version : SMLE No.1 Mk III*

Bigjohn
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
G'day from downunder,

Well it appears that some of our older shooters are retiring and cleaning out the gunlockers.

The local dealer has started receiving some SMLE No.1 Mk III* ex Target/Range rifles. Normally, these are rebarrelled with a heavier barrel than standard service barrels but still retain the original woodwork.

I must get in and check the condition of the bores but would assume with them being ex target club rifles, they should be in top condition.

The initial inspection showed the woodwork etc to be in good to excellent condition; the only hassle about this shop is the lack of room to swing a cat or cleaning rod etc, so you have to wait for him to get the man outback to clean them for inspection.

I'll be going back and taking the camera try and get some pic's.

John

9.3X62AL
11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I have one of these, a 1918 BSA that was a gift from a guy I grew up with. It is a plain-language blast to shoot, and like the Webley-Enfield revolver that I paired it up with--it's just so British that it commands respect and exudes class just sitting there.

KCSO
11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a 1917 BSA that I am converting to Lee Speed configuration just for hunting. In fact I just came up from checkering on the flattened bolt handle. Even a standard #1 will shoot better than I can hold at 100 paces. If the bore is good at all the gun will shoot.

Bigjohn
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I went in and checked out the rack; 4 No.1 MkIII* rifles in stock. One has already been sold which is the best of them.

Of the other rifles; two are standard ex-mil. configuration and the third has been modified for the range.

The Range Rifle still has the full wood of the ex-mil but missing the standard mil. type rear sight. It is fitted with a Parker Hale adjustable iris, click adjustable for range and windage peep sight.

Externally, all three rifle are good to very good condition BUT someone has fired these rifle with ex-mil. ammo and failed to clean the rifles afterwards. Hence these rifle may give good accuracy with the 'J' word boolit but are too far gone for cast. They are easy enough to rebarrel if you happened to have a spare barrel (which I do have) available.

I may invest in two of them if he does a good price on the pair.

:castmine:

John.

PAT303
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Big John My mk111 was going crap.I was leading our local mil shoot when she just went of the boil,so I bought a book by Brian Labbuda about setting them up and it woked.Stripped her down and started again and she shoots better now than ever.If you shoot lee's you need a copy. Pat

Bigjohn
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
PAT303; I have not heard of the book you mentioned but think it would be worth my while tracking one down.

Over the years, I have some LEE's that would shoot quite well and some that would not no matter what I did.

Please post further details on the book and I will get or local book dealer to track it down.

John.

PAT303
12-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Big John Accurizing and shooting LeeEnfields by Brian Labudda and Ian Skennerton. Best 15 buck's I've ever spent Pat

Bigjohn
12-08-2006, 02:08 AM
PAT303; Yes, I know of Ian and his works on the .303" and other military firearms.

I now have a good idea where I can get a copy.

Thank you,
John.

Four Fingers of Death
12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Ray Riling Arms Books Co., Inc.

336. Skennerton, Ian & Labudda, Brian. ACCURIZINFGul lC&at NSamHeONuOm TING LEE-ENFIELDS. Australia: Arms & Militaria
Press, 2005. 1st edition. ISBN: 0949749818. This new full color heavily illustrated work by Ian Skennerton answers all those
questions regarding the use of the Lee Enfield Rifles. Packed with detailed information covering the guns, the armourers
tools, and the sighting options for this fascination series. 35pp, saddle-stitched laminated covers. ALL Color photos and
illustrations. Stiff Paper Covers. NEW. (12254)