PDA

View Full Version : Mourning, remorse, withdrawel?

hpdrifter
11-27-2006, 07:42 PM
I really don't know what to call it. I work in a glass factory. We are going thru a rebuild. There is a section called the Tin Bath. Glass comingout of the furnace/melter is floated on a pool of molten tin. The Tin Bath is being drained for refurbishing. All 160 TONS of it. There is a special siphon device that will fill 50 lb ingot molds for about 2 days. There is splash, flashing, spill drippings all over the place. The innocent act of picking some of it up is almost a hanging offense.:sad: Needless to say, I'm a little diswrought(sp?).

All that tin, nor any drop to cast.

Topper
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I would be disappointed as well HPDrifter.

KCSO
11-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Gee, I feel your pain. I'd be carrying a lunch box every day.
Meanwhile tonight I stopped at the old print shot to talk to the owner about buying his smelter, a gas fired 300 pound pot and tools. While I was there he gave me some stuff he doesn't used anymore. I got some sticks of Vita Flux (enough for 2000 pounds of lead) and about 100 lbs of Tempering mix? Tis is all cast in long bars that break off into 5 lb ingots. I was told that this allow was added 5 lbs to 102 lbs to bring the linotype back to the best castibility. The owner thought that the bars were mostly tin and since he hasn't used lino in 20 years he gave then to me. Now if I can just find out exactly what I have...