PDA

View Full Version : Lead Blocks

foxtrapper
03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
My nephew clued me in and procured over 200lbs of (what I think) is pure lead! Also 50lbs or so of lead flashing about 28 inches wide. The lead bricks are about the same size as a mortar brick! The bricks look like they were machined not cast from molds. I have no idea what they were used for. They scratch easily with a fingernail. Anybody have a guess what they could be from????

white eagle
03-14-2011, 02:04 PM
floors or wall material for x-ray labs
radiation room of some sort
they weigh bout 25#
I have,had 4 of them nice stuff

foxtrapper
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
White Eagle I was gettin concerned reading your answer!!!!!!! Thank goodness for the last line!! So it's good to go, no problems it was blocking xrays for a living??

runfiverun
03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
nope, radiation lasts much less than a month on lead surfaces.
it don't penetrate and get held.

lwknight
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
There will be no radioactive contamination on the lead surface.
Radioactivity can be low specific activity for a short time only in lead that is exposed to extreme nuetron radiation. You only get that from fission in process and not isotopic decay.
X-ray shielding does not become radioactive at all.

crabo
03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I've got about 10 of them, but I have no idea where they originally came from. Most are brick shaped, but a couple have some cut outs in them.

foxtrapper
03-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Same here crabin . A couple have notches ,some notches are wider then others. Have you smelted the blocks yet? They are big (compared to WW) so I wonder how long they would take to melt. I'm using a propane turkey fryer and a cast iron pot.

MGySgt
03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I have about 1/2 dozen or so of those blocks - mine are 30 pounds and are pure lead. Mine are also unused - got them as extras from a job site.

mold maker
03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
The amount of contact with the pot will make all the difference in melting time. Once a good puddle has formed, it wont take long.
I once cut several up on a band saw to allow easier melting. No special blade or damage to it. Just allow the saw to determine the cutting speed. Don't force it. A spray of silicone, or a touch of wax, on the sides of the blade will also help.
Its the pounds of lead and their starting temp that determine the melt speed, as compared to WWs.