PDA

View Full Version : Maybe i find the use of "DUHH" insulting

tackstrp
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
from time to time i see people writing "duuuh" or something similar. Myself I find that an insult. I vote to ban the word or the user of that word. No need to be rude.

gnoahhh
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Personally I find "banning" words from my lexicon to be insulting to my intelligence.

klcarroll
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
"Doh!!!!!" (....To quote Homer Simpson.)

Kent

Rocky Raab
03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
I find writing with poor spelling and incorrect grammar to be insulting; it is as if the writer believes I know no better. Let's ban those writers and all their posts.

Before anybody spontaneously combusts over that, it was satire.

300winmag
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Rocky Raab I was trying to check out your link http://www.reloadingroom.com/
It comes up encoded an scrambled :holysheep I am running windows 7 and IE8
thanks
300winmag

cbrick
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
My pet peeve is "alphabet" posts. No caps, no punctuation, not even periods. Extremely difficult to read and it seems the poster doesn't care, yet there appears to be a question in there somewhere that he wants answered. I don't read them, just go on to the next thread.

Rick

waksupi
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
I guess people could just say, "Here's your sign".

MtGun44
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
How about banning banning? :bigsmyl2:

Bill

klcarroll
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Bill

Hmmmmm.........

I think you may have stumbled upon the solution to all of our problems with Washington!!!

.....If we could just get someone to submit such a bill to the House, they would spend the rest of their natural lives debating on how to enforce it!!

WE WOULD NEVER HEAR FROM THEM AGAIN!!!!

:drinks:

Kent

Rocky Raab
03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for trying, 300winmag. The problem is IE8. My pages were written with Microsoft ware, but IE scrambles it. Figures, huh?

It will display perfectly in every other browser I've tested. Get Firefox. Note the admonition in my signature below...

Guesser
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
As George was told in song: " Watch out for that tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

45-70 Chevroner
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
waksupi: I like that one, some times I feel like someone should hand me a sign. If someone gives me a sign I can then give it to someone else. I'm to lazy to make my on sign.

gnoahhh
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
It's a sign of the times!

runfiverun
03-14-2011, 04:53 PM
i get plenty of DOH!! moments here.
especially after i type something.
i think i wrote what i thought i was thinking,then i re-read what i did write after someone points out the flaws.
such as hey Fiver, what does adding carnuba to a 5/5 alloy accomplish?
DOH!!.

alamogunr
03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for trying, 300winmag. The problem is IE8. My pages were written with Microsoft ware, but IE scrambles it. Figures, huh?

It will display perfectly in every other browser I've tested. Get Firefox. Note the admonition in my signature below...

+1. I've used Firefox for the last 8 or 9 years and have never regretted leaving IE. I had a credit card once that offered a feature that allowed you to hide your credit card # by creating a different number that was only used once(or something like that). It would only work with IE. I don't use that credit card anymore and don't deal with vendors that recommend IE.

Rick, I had an English professor in college(Yeah! that long ago) that would hand a paper back with all kinds of punctuation marks in red and a note that said next time do that with instructions to "use where needed"

John
W.TN

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Rocky,

Even I can see it using Safari . . . Mac's browser . . . Doh! [smilie=l:

But . . . may be time for an "update" . . .
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Picture7.png

[smilie=s:

Thin Man
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Signs. Signs. Everywhere the signs.
Clogging up the scenery, breaking my mind.
Do this! Don't do that!
CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGNS !?!?!

Thin Man, dreaming of times past....

RP
03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Well I have to say I am guilty of the grammar, Bad spelling and not using all the right , . ? and so on. Was really looking hard to make sure I used them. Sometimes my mind is going faster then my fingers and it just comes out wrong. Some of my post after looking at them maybe the third of forth time I see a mistake and fix it. With all that being said what makes this place so nice is the lack of a bunch of rules.

RP
03-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh if I made any mistakes with the above post feel free to rewrite it in the manner you feel is correct.

KYCaster
03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Firefox better than IE??

DUUUUH!!!!

Jerry

Lee
03-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I've met quite a few people who believe that "Whatever!" is also rude. Well, Duhh!!......:kidding:

Blammer
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Seriously?

That's my daughters new favorite word.

onondaga
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I have volunteered to teach literacy at correctional institutions on occasion and am qualified to teach English at High School level. I have also studied Linguistics. The inferior communication frequently seen on internet boards usually has it's roots in marginal literacy and a lack of social skills.

Mature, educated adults tend to be sufficiently skilled and prefer to communicate in a bullet point fashion presenting facts or asking questions and giving short factual answers. Marginally literate or functionally illiterate people communicate more frequently with insults expressed in the anonymity of stylized abbreviations and popular cell phone text slang. The limited social skills of the digital generation has the profound effect of incoherence. Starting a topic and politely asking questions has become a game of inventing words to suit a purpose. This is called neologism and is a type of adult baby talk substituted for intelligent discourse.

This has no probability of improving and is destroying the polite social conversational skills of an entire generation. Composition form and sentence structure diagramming is extinct in present day education. That started shortly before cell phones, but in my opinion, it has proven to be the turning point of our language history.

People with the loss of social skills from digital normalization have lost the one skill that I treasure. I do have some cherished people in life that I am compelled to hand write well composed letters to. Receiving one in return is a pleasure many will never experience. That is a shameful loss for the digital generation.

Gary

azcruiser
03-14-2011, 07:01 PM
If the Nun's had beat me more maybe i would type better .They did a good job with math which has helped me in life.Think we will only have to type for about 5 more years .Then we will just talk to the keyboard/box/ computer/hand what ever .This site has helped me in typing and now I do everything in spell check on orangoo.com first

swheeler
03-14-2011, 07:04 PM
from time to time i see people writing "duuuh" or something similar. Myself I find that an insult. I vote to ban the word or the user of that word. No need to be rude.

Dude, don't be silly dude!

btroj
03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I would like to ban the word best. I don't think there is a "best" anything in shooting. I find best to be the worst word. Then again, sausage might be the wurst word, but I digress.

No banning any words. I find the way some people post very annoying. I am sure I annoy some too. It is a free world guys, don't like something here, don't come here.

Brsd

Charlie Two Tracks
03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
What did Gary say? .............. sorry. English is one subject I had a terrible time with in school from day one. I put punctuation wherever I think it should go. Really, if I was to have the chance to win a million dollars if I could tell you what a verb is......... well, I don't know. It's a four letter word. That's what it it. Now if you want a compound cut on a hip roof rafter, I'm your man.

waksupi
03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Heck, I even still see the words Ballistic, and Tactical used by some of the newer members.

Dennis Eugene
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't give much of a care if my puncuation is correct and I can't spell woth a can of beans. Neither one will keep me alive if caught out in the woods over night here in Alaska. But if you are ever caught out in the woods over night here in Alaska, I'd be mighty handy to have around.
Dennis

condorjohn
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Thin Man, Is that Dr. Hook?

beanflip
03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Then my 2¢ worth just aint worth 2¢ . ?!!!!

btroj
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Heck, I even still see the words Ballistic, and Tactical used by some of the newer members.

Dang new users and their tactical stuff. Is that why all my text is black?

Finster101
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM

No. I believe it was a 1 hit wonder by the Five Man Electrical Band. If I'm wrong, believe me, someone will let us know. :roll:

EDK
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Before anybody spontaneously combusts over that, it was satire.

Sarcasm is wasted on the guilty

:Fire::redneck::cbpour:

Harter66
03-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I do try to avoid duh ,but once in a while I quote me and there it is often used w/ ya'dumb sh**. "No duh" was big in my youth along dir-d-dir,whoo,cool and aaaa.

Gary if I might ask,why is the direct object not what we're talking about? My english teachers never really answered that .

white eagle
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
is he for real ?????
DUH !!

Von Gruff
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I dont feel insulted by the use of words that have seen almost habitual use among certain sections of the young and the not so young. It is simply the need for personalising language for a generation and that has been happening since the language groups seperated, so much so that in cases of group isolation, comunication with other groups who had initially shared the language can find unknown words, expressions and pronounciation.
That said, I was schooled in the 50's and 60's and hold to the way we were tought, both at school and at home when atempting to comunicate clearly. There have been words brought into the spoken and writen language that were unknown in my youth and it is the ever changing nature of this comunication medium that brings the words or phrases some complain about. I may not use them but in fifty years the young will see the way we speak (and write) as antiquated. How many have fluency in reading Elizabethan English. The King James Bible english, and one that will concern most of the US members the, the english of the Constitution ??????????
The meaning of that delineating document has confounded the confoundable while the simple meaning is clear to the literate and the common sence majority.

Von Gruff.

truckboss
03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't give much of a care if my puncuation is correct and I can't spell woth a can of beans. Neither one will keep me alive if caught out in the woods over night here in Alaska. But if you are ever caught out in the woods over night here in Alaska, I'd be mighty handy to have around.
Dennis

10-4 ,i think the only thing that should get banned is spellling and grammmer cops.

Mustangpalmer1911
03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Ban everying that is not politicaly correct! Including being insulted.

Tom W.
03-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Bunch of COBs, ain't we?

onondaga
03-14-2011, 11:42 PM
"Gary if I might ask,why is the direct object not what we're talking about? My english teachers never really answered that . "

Subjective words indicate what we are talking about. Direct object words state the result of the verb.

Example: He is funny.

"He" is the subject.

The verb to be in the form of is comprises the action verb.

"funny" comprises the object of the verb "is" in the sentence.

You can turn the sentence around and say "Funny, he is."

Talking like Yoda in Star Wars does not change the diagram of the sentence and make the word "funny" become the subjective in the grammar of the sentence even if it is the intent for the subject to be "funny".

Gary

KYCaster
03-14-2011, 11:59 PM
What did Gary say? ......

I think he called us ignorant rednecks and chastised us for the way we spell boolits.

If I knew for sure, I'd probably be insulted. :roll:

Jerry

:redneck:

azcruiser
03-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Gary That was informative. One question what is a N Tonawanda and is there a south, east and west .
Betting your a Bills Fan .

onondaga
03-15-2011, 12:23 AM
That is silly, I did not name call. The man asked what I felt was a valid question and I gave him the best answer and example I could.

Besides, I bet my neck is as red as anybody else here. Maybe my neck is a little bit more leathery than some because I was a sniper and survived.

Gary

onondaga
03-15-2011, 12:39 AM
North Tonawanda is about 10 miles from Niagara Falls and it is north of Tonawanda, NY. Tonawanda is a Native American word meaning "two stinking creeks" and I live between them. Actually the locals here affectionately call Buffalo "South Tonawanda."

Most people here are Bills fans and Sabres fans. I was a fan when I could afford a season pass. Now my favorite spectator sport is Ladies Figure Skating. I prefer looking at hard girl butts in my old age. Now I usually say that the Bills stink and the Sabres are worse. I actually pummeled senseless one of the very famous Sabres years ago because he ruffed a girlfriend he thought was OK to share with me and slap around.

Gary

Bulltipper
03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Ban it! Outlaw it!! Make it more illegal!!!

steg
03-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Now I'm really confused, much more than my normally confused. (almost forgot the Period)

DIRT Farmer
03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
One thing I truly miss is the reigonal langage use. With the the local newspaper dead or dieing and being replaced by direct international communication, local language is dead.

We have a collection of letters from family members, some from when they were in the military, others just the normal family letters that give a family history. I don't think anyone will save emails. Our personal history is dissapering.

Yes all of my papers had a lot of red marks through school. That is the reason my magizine articles go through an editor.

45 2.1
03-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I do believe i'm the one that pissed him off with the Duhh....... I'm constantly amazed how little people read or look things up. I tend to be a little abrasive when they expect to be taken care of also. That might seem arrogant to you (and I was accused of that just yesterday), but just when are you a grownup and except that some people aren't going to act the way you do and emulate what YOU THINK is right.

btroj
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
I think some of the newer guys here are thin skinned and easily locked onto one idea in shooting cast.
I can see where they may feel people like 45 2.1 are abrasive or fluff but it is because they won't listen. Do not ask me a question and expect me to give you the answer you want. If you ask for an opinion be prepared to get one.
Some of this with duh, etc is a sign of the times. The over 50 crowd is most likely not going to like it, the under 30 crowd grew up with and cant see the problem. I am in between. Is duh a good answer? No, but at times it the most polite thing to say. Idiocy is, sadly, idiocy.

I don't mind gruff responses as they usually are deserved. Heck, I seem to be "ignored" now simply for saying I don't see the point in ignoring people using the function when I can do it myself.

Brad

gnoahhh
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
It behooves anyone who wishes to precisely convey an abstract thought to one's public to be careful with spelling and punctuation. It is difficult enough to convey that thought without benefit of hand gestures, voice nuances and facial impressions without compounding the problem with poor language skills.

It is the fault of educators and the system they are enslaved to for not making language a priority and also for not making it a fun, pleasurable and rewarding scholastic experience.

A society that eschews language skills is in many ways a backward one, though they may be technologically advanced. A codified system of thought communication (language), well developed and universally adhered to, is the key to moving us forward, and the "digital babies" are unwittingly tripping themselves up in that regard.

blackthorn
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I have volunteered to teach literacy at correctional institutions on occasion and am qualified to teach English at High School level. I have also studied Linguistics. The inferior communication frequently seen on internet boards usually has it's roots in marginal literacy and a lack of social skills.

Mature, educated adults tend to be sufficiently skilled and prefer to communicate in a bullet point fashion presenting facts or asking questions and giving short factual answers. Marginally literate or functionally illiterate people communicate more frequently with insults expressed in the anonymity of stylized abbreviations and popular cell phone text slang. The limited social skills of the digital generation has the profound effect of incoherence. Starting a topic and politely asking questions has become a game of inventing words to suit a purpose. This is called neologism and is a type of adult baby talk substituted for intelligent discourse.

This has no probability of improving and is destroying the polite social conversational skills of an entire generation. Composition form and sentence structure diagramming is extinct in present day education. That started shortly before cell phones, but in my opinion, it has proven to be the turning point of our language history.

People with the loss of social skills from digital normalization have lost the one skill that I treasure. I do have some cherished people in life that I am compelled to hand write well composed letters to. Receiving one in return is a pleasure many will never experience. That is a shameful loss for the digital generation.

Gary

After I read Gary's post (twice) I have to say I agree!!

It also encourages me to pontificate that some of us---jest spend to much time drinkn in th library!! (LOL) Have a great day!!!

midnight
03-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I think "duh" is just a contraction of an old Norwegian expression. When you say something stupid or get the answer to something you should have known, you hit your forehead with the heel of your hand and say "uff da". Any Norski's out there?

Bob

KYCaster
03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
That is silly, I did not name call. The man asked what I felt was a valid question and I gave him the best answer and example I could.

Besides, I bet my neck is as red as anybody else here. Maybe my neck is a little bit more leathery than some because I was a sniper and survived.

Gary

Gary, silly is exactly what I intended it to be. If I had meant it to be serious, I would have made that very plain.

I enjoy your posts, most are very informative and you often offer a different perspective. I also find your precise use of language to be very refreshing.

Rest assured, if I have a beef with you, you'll get a PM from me before I post it here for everyone to see.

Jerry

45 2.1
03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
It behooves anyone who wishes to precisely convey an abstract thought to one's public to be careful with spelling and punctuation. It is difficult enough to convey that thought without benefit of hand gestures, voice nuances and facial impressions without compounding the problem with poor language skills. Good point...........But, what makes you think someone with poor language skills is going to completely understand (especially if you wrote it in technical terms instead of easily understood common venacular) what you said.

It is the fault of educators and the system they are enslaved to for not making language a priority and also for not making it a fun, pleasurable and rewarding scholastic experience. Have you ever seen an 8th grade graduation exam from the 1930's or so...... can any of us pass it now? Can an 8th grader pass what we did at that age now? Some of the most intelligent people (those folks were 75 or older when I talked to them) i've seen never got past the 8th grade.

A society that eschews language skills is in many ways a backward one, though they may be technologically advanced. A codified system of thought communication (language), well developed and universally adhered to, is the key to moving us forward, and the "digital babies" are unwittingly tripping themselves up in that regard. Society is changing very fast now. Most 40 and under people do not realize how they have been cheated and what they have lost. A lot of what you say depends on just what they were taught or not taught.

badbob454
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Signs. Signs. Everywhere the signs.
Clogging up the scenery, breaking my mind.
Do this! Don't do that!
CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGNS !?!?!

Thin Man, dreaming of times past....

the music of my generation ...:drinks:

Sprue
03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I strive to use proper grammar and punctuation, in everything that I do actually. What I don't like are WTS/WTB posts all typed in one sentence, if you would call it that, those I don't read. Next the misuse of "to, two & too" and other frequently misused words. But I think the OP is being too sensitive.

Which reminds me of another term that was edited, causing a big stink a short time ago that was totally ridiculous. That word is an old age common term thats frequently used in place for haggling.... to which was totally taken out of context.

One other thing that I don't like is Posts made entirely containing no Capitol letters at the beginning , or for that matter & in contrast typing everything in all Caps. Why don't we just become a Policed State now. Its coming no doubt.

Which BTW takes me back, most of you will remember when (I forget the exact Mod Username so I'll call him "John Law") came to town. Anyway he was a Moderator that was assigned to be invisible, secretly learching (sp?) over everyones shoulder. Wonder if he's still riding that horse? If he's still in town he's earning his money or did he ride off into the sunset.

All said, I say Bull defecation. Thats whats wrong with the US of A its always me.me.me.

Together we rise divided we fall .

In final, I find this Post/Thread should be deleted entirely. Mods, I'm outraged .

Mods delete this Thread in its entirety :kidding:

This also reminds me of a noob user just the other day. Requesting Ken to Delete the Political Section. Doh!

my1centworthlaterandhappytalesortrails

mold maker
03-15-2011, 11:11 AM
I am embarrassed by my lack of formal education in the English language. I am also the product of the language environment that, I have lived for 69 years in. If anything I have posted here has insulted anyone, I apologize. If I'm misunderstood because of the lack of my grammar skills, it pains me. If I don't understand what you write I will ask you to explain it in simpler words, as I am interested in what you are attempting to convey.
I would never insult you for you lack of skills in conversation, because that is simply being intentionally rude. I have a grand child who will never be able to speak above a 2nd grade level, and If I ever hear of someone making derogatory remark about his inabilities, I will personally inflict heavy bodily harm. For those of you with your head held haughtily high, That is an A$$ Whooping, just so I'm not misunderstood.
For those of you that look down your long nose at those of us who are spelling and grammatically challenged,,,,, I say DUUUUH, who cares what ya think????????

300winmag
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks, after I posted I seen that I must not have been paying attention. I tried to get fire fox microsoft states they have a invalid security certificate and it blocks. I have a new HP Touchsmart 300 PC it is the most picky machine I have ever used.

300winmag
03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
mold maker, I do not believe you need to apologize to anyone,we are all human and we all make mistakes. Just some thinks they are better than others. None of us is perfect in anyway some just think they are.

wills
03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
In many cases it is not spelling and grammar that cause a post to be incomprehensible so much as formatting: Not starting sentences with a capital letter, or ending them with a period. Not spacing between sentences. Not leaving a blank line between paragraphs.

clodhopper
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
As a youngster, mad at the world and school I was forced to endure, I mispelled with glee, threw insulsts with abandon and was just an a**hole.

Now past fifty I realize the importance of making my thoughts clearly read-able.
I read and reread my posts before sending, yet still find spelling errors and incoherence.
When useing DDUUUHH it's in refrence to myself. I try to never talk about the mispellings of others, because I am so guilty.

Let's not write off the younger generation because they only know what we have taught them. How about just trying to lead by example?

Jim
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
..... How about just trying to lead by example?
You are a man among men, Sir.

MtGun44
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Go Gary! :drinks:

Bill

DIRT Farmer
03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
We are also products of our work enviroment. The language usage differs from the class room to the production floor to management.

If you are woorking under a topping crew do you wish to hear , Dear sir good day and I hope you are well. Would you please step aside as I have just dropped my axe.

Or, HEADS UP.

Digger
03-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Firefox better than IE??

DUUUUH!!!!

Jerry

:D:D:D:D .... :lol::lol::lol::lol: ... love it!

MtGun44
03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Willis,

I agree wholeheartedly. The folks that just run a bunch of lower case letters, with the
space bar as their only tool are being very rude to the reader and making it extremely
difficult to understand their post. To me it is just polite to use proper spelling, punctuation,
grammar and capitalization to make it easy for the reader to know what the writer
really had on his/her mind. A few emoticons don't hurt, either. ;-)

DIRT farmer - in mountain climbing, the call is "ROCK! ROCK! ROCK!" as fast an loud as
you can when you kick loose a rock. Nobody is going to think you are dancing or talking
about your favorite type of music. Context is a critical adjunct.

Bill

Mumblypeg
03-15-2011, 11:51 PM
In many cases it is not spelling and grammar that cause a post to be incomprehensible so much as formatting: Not starting sentences with a capital letter, or ending them with a period. Not spacing between sentences. Not leaving a blank line between paragraphs.

I thought that was the way it looked when you failed to stop and take a breath... Some people talk that way.
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Is that not what it's all about?
Gosh, talk about going out on a tangent...
Gary, you remind me of one of my brothers... he was an English major.(Not rank, school) mmmmm... I went through Tannawanda once. Sorry if I miss spelled it.
I get all my laughs HERE!!!

cbrick
03-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Yep, that's what I said in post #6. It's not typos or the occasional mis-spelled word . . . It's alphabet posts. People that write like that are saying loud and clear that they have zero respect for those that are supposed to read it, yet they want their questions answered. Assuming in that block of letters there is a question.

Rick

DIRT Farmer
03-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Bill, Amen

Ajax
03-16-2011, 07:48 AM
I don't write very good. I didn't pay alot of attention in school. Does that make my questions any less of a question? I find it amazing that some of you guys seem to think if I am not the most articulate or well written that I am some how lower on the intillectual rung than you. Well so be it. If you dont understand something I write, Please by all means ask me to clarify.
I will do my uneducated best to do so.

Andy

white eagle
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Ajax
I do believe the unejemacated are the ones who try and tell someone to do this or that
not the people who are mizspillin wrds

cbrick
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't write very good. I didn't pay alot of attention in school. Does that make my questions any less of a question? I find it amazing that some of you guys seem to think if I am not the most articulate or well written that I am some how lower on the intillectual rung than you. Well so be it. If you dont understand something I write, Please by all means ask me to clarify. I will do my uneducated best to do so.
Andy

I haven't read a single post in this thread that said anything even close to that. Certainly not what my posts are about. Notice that you did use caps and periods, nothing difficult to read at all about your post.

Now read your post like this,

idon't write very good i didn't pay alot of attention in school does that make my questions any less of a question i find it amazing that some of you guys seem to think if i am not the most articulate or well written that i am some how lower on the intillectual rung than you well so be it if you dont understand something i write please by all means ask me to clarify i will do my uneducated best to do so andy

That's the kind of post that I was talking about.

Rick

Echo
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
It behooves anyone who wishes to precisely convey an abstract thought to one's public to be careful with spelling and punctuation. It is difficult enough to convey that thought without benefit of hand gestures, voice nuances and facial impressions without compounding the problem with poor language skills.

It is the fault of educators and the system they are enslaved to for not making language a priority and also for not making it a fun, pleasurable and rewarding scholastic experience.

A society that eschews language skills is in many ways a backward one, though they may be technologically advanced. A codified system of thought communication (language), well developed and universally adhered to, is the key to moving us forward, and the "digital babies" are unwittingly tripping themselves up in that regard.

Too true. I have become accustomed to noting, but ignoring, the misspellings in our posts. I believe I can winnow out the meaning in spite of minor roadblocks. Plus, we have to be aware that sometime the misspelling is really a typing error, rather than a spelling error.

But. This came hard to me, as to many others on the forum. In a couple of past incarnations I HAD to be grammatically correct. I remember in my first freshman year (dark ages, papyrus &cetera) my composition prof would deduct one letter grade for every misspelling or punctuation error. Carrumba! In many environments, language usage better be perfect, or else. Happily, this is NOT one of those environments. Still, misspellings are still jarring...

And plus 1 for the clods that are too lazy to hit the Shift key, or Period button. Pure arrogance...

bigboredad
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I for one am tired of people getting there feelings hurt and thinking that they can make the changes so they won't feel bad. What happened to freedom of speech? I think they must be a product of the new way of playing sports in grade schools. They don't keep score because they don't want to have losers so no one feels bad. I find that insulting and I expect changes to be made to make me feel good. Rocky sorry about my poor writing skills but I do try but I am not a writer and apparently no very educated

onondaga
03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I get blasted on the Archaeology forum over at PaleoPlanet .net. Sometimes enough is too much with pointy headed academic types that believe they are infallible. I pulled the biggest spoof on them that I have ever done on the internet, and was congratulated by my peers.

Gary

nighthunter
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I learned not to post on threads like this when they banned me .... duhhhh. Look at it like this ... who really cares? I was gonna say " who really gives a rat's rear end " but someone would probably find that insulting. Probably isn't gonna matter in 6 months so why worry today. Maybe I should get a job so I have some thing to do rather than worry about if someone might be insulted by my grammer or choice of words. DUHHHHH

Von Gruff
03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I read a very interesting piece on spelling some time back and the parragraph or two was written with an increasing number of spelling mistakes as the writing progressed. The point of the piece was that our mind almost automatically corrects for the mistake as the meaning is clear.
I worked with an old Latvian chap when I was not long out of school and he spoke english directly translated from Latvian with a gramatical mix-up. but it was always completly clear what he said or meant to say.
I see a very acomadating exceptance of those for whom english is a second language but sometimes less so for those with a geographicly localised language aplication.
There are many of us from many different spots on this globe of ours and we are all effected by the localised accent pequliarities that often carry over to the written word.
None of these things concern me, nor does the word composition or general composition and sentance structure.......................... but sentance structure there should be, with a capital to start, a full stop to finish, and at least the apearance of care for those that are expected to read what has been written.

Von Gruff.

thx997303
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't write very good. I didn't pay alot of attention in school. Does that make my questions any less of a question? I find it amazing that some of you guys seem to think if I am not the most articulate or well written that I am some how lower on the intillectual rung than you. Well so be it. If you dont understand something I write, Please by all means ask me to clarify.
I will do my uneducated best to do so.

Andy

Andy,

I'd just like to reiterate what has already been said.

You actually make an attempt to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

The problem isn't the occasional spelling or grammatical errors, it is a complete disregard for the reader by posting a veritable "wall of text".

I get a headache trying to read posts like that, and frequently lose my place, causing a lot of inconvenience to my already scrambled brain.

As to the scrambled brain, It's not uncommon for me to leave the remote in the fridge, or the milk in the girls room.

What the heck the milk was doing in there in the first place is anyone's guess. :bigsmyl2:

John 242
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I barely graduated highschool, I have only a vauge idea where a comma belongs, my spelling is really poor and I type with two fingers. My sentence structure, sucks.
Many of us with non-accademic backgrounds make a lot of errors when typing. That shoud be understandable, considering our background. Most of us are doing the best we can.

There are occaisionally fellows that don't seem to give much thought to what they post.
That's fine, to each his own.

What you type is a reflection of you, whether you like it or not.

Those that have English as a second language are given more slack than a English native because the ESL poster has a pretty good excuse for being hard to understand. Some of the older gents struggle, too. Again, that shoud be understandable, taking their advanced age and physical disabilities into considderation.

I normally type my posts in 'Word', then cut and past before posting. This isn't my computer, so sorry for the spelling.

btroj
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
That wasn't top bad John. It is readable. I hate the posts with no caps, no punctuation, no semblance of sentence structure. I tend to ignore them entirely. I understand a few typos or misspelled words. I don't spell real well either. It is a complete lack of effort that bugs me.

It matters not what you know, it matters how well you can put what you know into another persons head. That my friends takes communication. How much more important can it be?

Brad

firefly1957
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Bill

I believe Hank Williams Jr. wrote a song about just that the coalition to ban coalitions.:groner:

MtGun44
03-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Never heard the song, but maybe I need to seek it out!

Bill

firefly1957
03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
MtGun44 It was an old album "The Pressure Is On" Private message me if you can not find it.

scb
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM

No, It's The Five Man Electrical Band. I didn't realize we had so many old hippies here.:kidding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7cP3ij5g

firefly1957
03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
scb You don't think to many young guns have time to hang out here do you?

montana_charlie
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
There are people who try to write correctly. Some are very well-informed, and rarely make mistakes. Others are less knowledgeable, and make more errors. The point is...they all try.

Then, there are those who make no attempt.

If they won't take time to try...I won't take time to pick through their garbage for the pearl they are seeking.

Now, some may think that is a flowery way of expressing a thought, and would prefer something more 'direct'...something likely to be heard in the work zone. Okay, I can do that.

If they won't try...screw them.

(BTW - I did not graduate from High School. I passed the GED test after I had been the Air Force for two years. A truncated formal education is no excuse for remaining ignorant.)

CM

44man
03-20-2011, 08:44 AM
I feel the best way is to ignore all mistakes and never get angry. You can make fun of a few, make fun of me. Doesn't matter in the end.
Correct mistakes, explain better, and apologize if needed---Then let it go. We are all guilty sometime of rubbing someone wrong and getting a nasty response or even giving one.
When you get like me and come down to the basement, stare at the walls and I try to figure out why I came down in the first place, Just sit down, have a drink, it must not have been very important anyway! :bigsmyl2:
The worst thing you can ever do is spend too much time on the stinking computer while all the work that needs done just slips away to another day that you are still on the stupid computer. [smilie=l:

Finster101
03-20-2011, 09:47 AM
No, It's The Five Man Electrical Band. I didn't realize we had so many old hippies here.:kidding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7cP3ij5g

I'm fifty. Does that make me an old hippie?:shock: Just a music junkie.

With the exception of 4 years in the army, I have been in the service station/ auto repair business since I was 15. I have met some guys that barely read or write, but hand them a box of disassembled pieces and you will get back a quadrajet that is better than new. I'm sure that there are a lot of older guys like that. Just because you don't have a formal education doesn't mean you are stupid. My Dad has a high school education, my Mother did not get that far. Economics and the work load of living on a farm played a major factor. They both learned more from the school of hard knocks than any text book and made a good life for themselves. Neither would even consider touching a computer. So, for the older guys who decide to give it a go and get on a board like this I say is pretty ballsy for some. (That is a complement)

We all speak differently we all write differently. In this and other forums I tend to write in what I consider a pretty conversational style, very informal. I'm not here to fill out a resume.

If you are not sure about spelling or you have a lot of typos like I usually do, the spell checker is free and easy. I won't discount a man's opinion because his grammar is not correct or I might have phrased it different. There is a lot of experience on this board. Don't overlook it because of silliness. Sorry to ramble so much.

James

white eagle
03-20-2011, 10:06 AM
it is so very true
I have learned long ago not to judge a book by its cover
anyone who would will be the poorer of it

canyon-ghost
03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, I find the repeated use of some phrases irritating, duh and 'sweet!' being the major ones. But, it's only irritating, not offensive. This forum is about shooting, not English class therefore, "I like to shoot" gets my vote for the best.

I won't get shook up about how someone types, what phrases they use, or anything like that, might just end up being a friend of mine after the smoke clears.

Ron

looseprojectile
03-20-2011, 10:09 PM
When I was in school I tried to avoid the homework as that took away some of my quality time hunting and fishing and shooting.
The composition and english classes were a complete waste of time. I never did any of the required work to get a grade in those kinds of classes.

Now what completely confounds me is that I learned so much more than I wanted. How is it that I know the difference between bear and bare and bore and groove and break and brake, maybe there, their and they're? There are a lot more examples but you get the picture.
I did not want to know all these things.
Now it turns out that it is good to know these things. Who knew?
So Tackstrp if you are still upset over something that was aimed at you and was intended to upset you, you have played right into the perpertrators hands.
I would have just blown it off. That really irks them.

Dija ever consider taking an anger management class?

Life is good

Recluse
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
There are people who try to write correctly. Some are very well-informed, and rarely make mistakes. Others are less knowledgeable, and make more errors. The point is...they all try.

Then, there are those who make no attempt.

If they won't take time to try...I won't take time to pick through their garbage for the pearl they are seeking.

CM

Charlie, that's another beer I owe you.

That same attitude goes with me not just in the attempt to write a comprehensible post, statement, question, etc, but also applies to the effort expended to ask an intelligent question.

Every internet forum has them: People who sign up, log on, and ask questions that have been asked and answered a thousand times prior to their arrival. Around here, the questions are:

--Can you shoot a gas-check boolit without a gas check?

--How many wheel weights are in a five gallon bucket?

--What's zinc/why is zinc bad for your alloy?

--Is a harder boolit a better boolit?

Etc.

All stuff covered in the stickies. When I see a post asking a question like this and the (new) member's post count is (usually) below 10, I just move on down the road.

It's the effort that I appreciate. Be it in writing a post, asking a question, offering a suggestion. . . or duhhhh, whatever. :)

:coffee:

azcruiser
03-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I have tried to improve my type/spelling and this site has helped http://orangoo.com/spellcheck/ .First I write it there then do the spell check paste and post .Now if I can just get my fingers to type as fast a my mind . Tuff part is my memory fails me sometimes between mind and fingers .

missionary5155
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Good morning
So what is the proper spelling of Duh or Duhh or Doh ?
First time my wife & I saw it was returning from Peru about 12 years ago. An empty billboard on Interstate 74 going west out of Indianapolis had been painted in big bold letters " DUH".
If I ever have to make a choice between a sincere man or a good speller guess who I will leave in the sea of confussion ? Nothing against good spelling, grammer and punctuation but some of the finest men I know might be eliminated just because they maybe lack a bit in formal education.

gnoahhh
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
One of my English teachers was also a gun nut/hunter and we shared hunting tales often, which relationship blossomed into a friendship in later years. (He once called me up to his desk to show me the Astra 9mm he got in a school parking lot gun deal. Try doing THAT now!) He, as much as as anybody, showed me that mastery of English and the shooting sports are not mutually exclusive. His was one of the few classes I never cut.

montana_charlie
03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
If I ever have to make a choice between a sincere man or a good speller guess who I will leave in the sea of confussion...
When the choice is so critical that you use the term 'have to' it's probable that you would be in need of some talent or capability...as you are bobbing about on that sea of 'confussion'.
However, rather than choose the man who had the gumption to learn how to spell/build/row/navigate/survive/whatever, you would value the man who had put forth enough effort to become sincere?

It appears that the sea of confusion would claim another hapless victim.

CM

Baron von Trollwhack
03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Many posts are as entertaining as lectures in ebonics . I also enjoy the "mountain man", "cowboy", "hilbilly", and "redneck" posts .

Some who post do not have the slightest understanding that as a technical forum, there are technical understandings that govern the ability to transmit knowledge and ask questions . One of my favorites is the use of "smelt" . But that's entertaining too.

Quite a few do not have the discipline to search for and study a topic before inquiring about the basics.

BvT

Hamish
03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Doubt it not, the largest percentile of those to come will have grown up on the net. The majority of those will have most certainly NOT have spent *every* spare moment thumbing our version of "The Big Kid's Picture Book". In this day and age if I cannot find *close* to what I'm looking for online I'm frustrated. On the other hand, youngsters should have enough sense to lurk long enough to get the lay of the land, if only to keep from embarrasing themselves. DAMHIKT

Rich

82nd airborne
03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I have tried to improve my type/spelling and this site has helped http://orangoo.com/spellcheck/ .First I write it there then do the spell check paste and post .Now if I can just get my fingers to type as fast a my mind . Tuff part is my memory fails me sometimes between mind and fingers .

I hope this doesnt get taken as an insult, as I mean it as a compliment, but I can tell that you have put some effort into it. Good on ya.