PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Lee 10lb production Pot

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I have used my New Lee 4-20 Pot successfully for about 20 casting sessions
with No need for cleaning.

With that aside,
I acquired a Lee 10lb production Pot this weekend.
Used very little for casting,
But is was used twice for smelting WW
the previous owner got frustrated with black speckled boolits
the stuff sat unused for 10+ years.

What is the best way to clean this pot ?

Doing this outside, my plan is to heat it up to Max. (as it is half full),
then flux and scrape- remove dross, repeat as necessary.

this should work...right ?
Jon

03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I'd do as you mentioned, then drain the pot. After it cools, disassemble it, and using a brass wire wheel and drill thoroughly clean the interior, scrape crud off the rod and make sure the spout is free of obstructions.

fryboy
03-14-2011, 11:19 AM
they make a wire wheel that fits in a drill ( 4" i think ? ) once you have it hot and empty and cool i run it up and down a few times and then a cup brush on the bottom , you can use a smaller wheel and run it around and around and ... but the bigger brush works best for me , the nozzle is the hard part

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I was hoping to not have to use a wire wheel.
BUT, I suppose I will. Outside, in a light breeze, with a dust mask on.

just thinking...
While brushing with wire wheel,
I wonder if I should use some liquid to keep the dust down.
Water ?
cleaner/degreaser like windshield washer, 409 or some orange oil based degreaser ?
WD-40 ?
or a heavier oil ?
what do you think ?
Jon

dragonrider
03-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Heat it up and get as much lead out as you can, then scrape out some more then bead blast if you can.

fryboy
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
i havent tried the wet method , water of course would be the less obnoxious method ( especially once you fire the pot back up ) vinegar has excellent cleaning properties and can also remove some rust ( is also a product that could be used in many applications where it's not - dast i dare say "underused " ? )

arjacobson
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
make sure you run a small drill in the spout when you are almost done. They usually tend to build up and will pour a very small stream.. I actually drilled mine out just a bit bigger to help with the larger cavity molds.. A little goes a long way here!!! Lap the operating rod to the seat also. That will help a BUNCH with drips

onondaga
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I just cleaned one of my pots successfully. I melted the metal in the pot and poured it into ingots. Then, I removed the valve assembly and cleaned out the spout using a finger held twist drill that fit the spout hole. I used a cupped brass brush in a Dremel on low speed in one hand and a shop vac hose in the other hand and brushed the scale out of the pot. The shop collected it as I worked.. I put a small amount of steel wool on a Q-tip and finger twisted it in the valve seat. Vacuumed again and then sprayed the pot with silicone spray and wiped it out with paper towels. I repeated the spray and wipe again.

Next I wire brushed the valve assembly parts and lightly coated bearing surfaces and the spout with silicone dielectric grease. I reassembled and started up a melt immediately and all has been fine.

The big difference for me is that my pot is a Lee 4-20 and flow had become limited by general scale in the nozzle. All is good now with great flow. My last pot cleaning was about 8 years ago for the same reason. I cast 2,000 to 3,000 bullets a year and I use a different pot for smelting.

Gary

lonewelder
03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Lee sells a replacement pot for about 8$

bhn22
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Most of the scale found in dirty pots is water soluble. When I find it necessary to clean a pot I just drain it, scrape it, then boil water in it for a couple of seconds. Let it cool, then brush it out. Don' t let the water boil very long. The pot gets really hot & boils rather energetically.

As always, be careful with water around electricity. There's always a risk of electrocution. Also, boiling water is hot and can burn you. Dispose of all debris in a safe manner, and exposure to lead can cause certain kinds of cancer, but only in California. Or something like that.

shotman
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I am sure some place close has a sand blaster works best

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the tips so far.
that helps alot.
I think I'll flux and drain,
then see how bad it is inside...
maybe try the water and worst case, I'll seek a sand blaster.

I don't think I'll "open up' the orfice/spout,
But I will certainly try the finger held drill bit of the corrrect size
and buff and lap the rod to the seat.
thanks again,
Jon

USAF Shirt
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I do exactly what bhn22 does..you will be amazed how much crud comes out simply by boiling water in the pot. Doesnt help with nozzle cleaning though of course..

Cowboy T
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Dispose of all debris in a safe manner, and exposure to lead can cause certain kinds of cancer, but only in California. Or something like that.

That must explain our politicians....

zdogk9
03-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Lee sells a replacement pot for about 8$

And worth every penny