PDA

View Full Version : BOB Bail Out Bag

WickedGoodOutdoors
03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
NO, NO, NO! I said Happy Trees!

http://bp0.blogger.com/_O871g7h36Ko/SCOwFjTJfbI/AAAAAAAAAxY/PiUrjCoIUZg/s400/happy+trees.jpg

gray wolf
03-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Good luck with the 100# bag, 50# will drive most kids into the ground.
I carried 65 # when I was 22 years old. A man has to know his limitations Eh.
You should have a place to bug out to, that's the place to store all your ****.
Or stashed along the way. Carry what you need to get there.

MT Gianni
03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
First aid kit from bandaids to basic wound cleaning supplies. Sutures if so inclined.

redneckdan
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I might say that your weight limits are a little....uh.....optimistic? If one were planning on going any significant distance. Pack weight for the average person who would need to 'bug out' probably should not exceed 25-30% of body weight and still be able to expect any decent distance of travel. I am assuming that we are talking about people located in high population density centers who don't get regular strenuous exercise. Here is my case in point. Keep in mind that during the winter I work at a ski area and it is normal for me to hike +5000 feet of elevation in an 8hr shift while working on snow guns. A couple weeks back I took part in a search and rescue simulation with a technical ropes component. In addition to my standard medical load out for patrol I had half an ockia (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q5GWc46SESE/SbO5_dZsXRI/AAAAAAAAAdg/B3MIYLa7Ego/s400/ski+patrol+1.jpg), a small z-rig haul kit, some bivouc gear and my back country touring gear. All together I was hauling about 80lbs. After a short hike of about 2 miles with 400 feet of elevation gain I was completely useless for darn near an hour. The rest of the group was similarly loaded and just as bushed once we reached the mock search area. It was an eye opening experience as to the limits in pack weight for a hasty search team.

Rangefinder
03-14-2011, 02:12 PM
In my signature line you'll see reference to a survival manual I wrote a few years ago. The first half deals specifically with different kits (including BOB's), different less-thought-about items and uses, etc. Might be worth your while to check it out since it's on-topic with this thread. ;)

runfiverun
03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
water.
thats the biggie.
it's heavy, and in many areas out here it's hard to find.
and it will most likely be found already.
i hunted out of my pack this year there ain't no way i'm carrying more than 60 lbs even with the new type of back packs.
little girl [17] could do maybe 40.
a kid is more likely gonna be able to carry 25.
garbage bags are poor choices for covering things you are gonna carry.
the tarp is a better choice for wrapping the bag in.

Ohio Rusty
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm not always big about regular matches and lighters. The blast match is good for starting fires. Flint and a sparking steel will not let you down. If your matches get wet, you are out of luck. If your flint and steel get wet, no big deal, dry them off and strike away. Any kind of charred cotton cloth can be used as tinder, as well as cotton strings and many different varieties of dried plants matter and dry punky wood. Along with a good flint and steel, I would not be without a burning lens. Your ability to make fire will keep you alive. Fire systems need to be redundant. The pic below was done at the late evening, and instantly started a punky piece of wood glowing with the burning lens. That would be a lifesaver in the wet and cold.
Ohio Rusty ><>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/Charwood.jpg

Blammer
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
rubbing sticks to start a fire is an almost lost art. Can you do it? I can. :)

azcruiser
03-14-2011, 07:13 PM
A book of MacDonald's happy meals coupons .There light and you can use them anywhere there's a Micky ds. I'll need a trailer just for my medication little to old for RED DAWN

Harter66
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
In all of my gear resides the ability to load out and roll out in 30+- minutes with basic living gear and a weeks worth of food for 6 . It all fits in my explorer except the gas cans of which there are nearly always 2/5s full and propane bottles a 5 gallon boils a lot of water on my turkey burner.

In my neck of the woods disaster means in no order,
Massive earth quake,no warning, UBC says I'm safe to a 6.0 over 7.5 the ground starts to liquify so why worry?
Volcanos think 50 miles from St Helens in a 100 mile radius from me for about 270*.
Floods,well more likely and more warning . The current home would require 1 or more of the above to drain Tahoe for it to become unmanagable.
Wind storms likely , where would you go?

So I leave all the camping gear packed except for in May when we repack for the summer season and August for the fall/winter season. Every car has 2 coats a blanket and a gallon of water in it every day . I carry a knife 24/7. If it was really a panic to escape , I've a 357 pistol and carbine and a 12ga with 2 easy to get to cans of 150 12ga assorted and 1 load of 1000 +- 357s. I learned to camp comfortably out of a chevy luv ,2 broncos,a scout and an explorer 1 at a time and go for a week and bring home some game w/o any blood inside. The leisure load and go includes loading tools and basics.

waksupi
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
rubbing sticks to start a fire is an almost lost art. Can you do it? I can. :)

I can also make the cordage for the fire bow.

82nd airborne
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Whats the motorcycle helmet for WO?

Von Gruff
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Whats the motorcycle helmet for WO?

That one had me as well.

Von Gruff.

Rangefinder
03-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Without rambling, I'm seeing an awful lot of useless weight in the list. Also--being in Maine, I'm surprised at seeing so much cotton in the list (tee-shirts, jeans, etc.) Cotton in cold country?? Really BAD idea. ;) One tiny bit of moisture in anything but July sunshine and no wind and you're wearing a portable refrigerator.

Seriously--you could cut a LOT of that **** out and be all the better for it.

dualsport
03-15-2011, 01:30 AM
[smilie=w:Everything I need fits inside the handle of my survival knife I got at Walmart, except of course my compound bow and exploding arrowheads. Oh, and a cool headband. I'm in California, where am I gonna bugout to? Nobody wants us.

Artful
03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
[smilie=w:Everything I need fits inside the handle of my survival knife I got at Walmart, except of course my compound bow and exploding arrowheads. Oh, and a cool headband. I'm in California, where am I gonna bugout to? Nobody wants us.

Nonsense, all the Liberals what to be Kalifornized and all the Mexicans want to move in with ya. Your loved I tell ya. :kidding:

10x
03-15-2011, 08:56 PM
The question is, can you survive where you currently are?
Are there the resources you need to survive and do you know where they are?

One of the big issues in going to "someplace else" is a whole lot of people may have the same idea. An area that can support a dozen folks living off the land can not support 150 or 200.

You may well be better off identifying the resources you have in the area you know best. That is the area where you have all your basic support gear, you know the terrain, and you know the best cover. An area you hardly know may look good but if it looks good to you, it will look good to others and someone may already be there and object to newcomers.

One of the keys to survival is having the right equipment and the right supplies to tide you over until you can gain the equipment and skills needed. There is a very steep learning curve complicated by others who may covet your stuff.

Dualsport has a point as well. If you go to an area where someone has already set up you have 1) competition for resources and 2) possibly a second survival issue where someone attempts to "harvest" your gear. - food and water are secondary to simply avoiding conflict and staying alive.

My point is, have a BOB but bugging out and leaving the territory where you may have support, all of your gear, know the resources, and terrain may not be in your best interests.

clodhopper
03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I live in a community of one acre lots, I know and trust the neighbors who can cover my home with a rifle as they know me.
To survive, embrace you neighbor he can stand watch when you sleep. He has skills you do not.
We can garden, dip water out of the river, raise livestock, keep our ammo stash and watch each others backs.
When you think about it, there's no where to run to.

songdog53
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
BOB not for me i have everything i need right on my place and some good neighbors that will watch each others backs. I know folks living in cities will have not choice but for me I'm staying where i am and roaming folks might get me but not before i get some of them. Besides where are you going to go?

10x
03-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I live in a community of one acre lots, I know and trust the neighbors who can cover my home with a rifle as they know me.
To survive, embrace you neighbor he can stand watch when you sleep. He has skills you do not.
We can garden, dip water out of the river, raise livestock, keep our ammo stash and watch each others backs.
When you think about it, there's no where to run to.

Understated, you don't leave the area where you have all of your resources until those resources are depleted and staying is untenable.

jcwit
03-17-2011, 12:59 AM
If you're trying to outrun the fallout or escape it, I'm afraid you're going to be sadly disapointed. If you do get away from the worst of it you're just prolonging the inevitable.