PDA

View Full Version : newbie to casting

d.thomson
11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi im just starting to cast i have heard that I should use amatch or lighter to coat the inside of the boolit mould do you do this between each cast or just once in a while every 5/6 times. I was planing to use a tin can and a colman white gas stove to do my casting out of. Right now I am planing to only cast .490 round ball and real boolits using a Lee two chamber mould. Any advice would be apreciated, Thanks in advance Dave T.

BruceB
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Howdy, Dave.

There are very few hard-and-fast rules in bulletcasting.

As you get deeper into this part of the shooting hobby, you'll almost certainly find that individual moulds have their own preferences....sorta like wimmin, but without the good looks.

Some of my moulds prefer to be used with no coating of any kind in the cavities. Others like a bit of carbon ("smoke") from a butane lighter, and the long barbecue-style lighters are FAR easier on the fingers. Still others work best with a light coat of spray-on graphite in the cavities. I avoid candles and matches, because of the greasy contaminants they deposit in the cavity. Matches are the lesser evil, but I still prefer to use something else.

For openers, I suggest you try using the mould with no cavity coating at all, just thoroughly de-greased. The coating, whatever it is, is sometimes good for many casting sessions without renewal, so don't get carried-away with frequently re-applying it.

My pet solution for poor fillout is HEAT, lots of heat, and I usually cast wheelweight alloy at 870 degrees, which is as hot as my RCBS furnace will operate. Not everyone here agrees with me on this, but it sure works exceedingly-well for me.

At the bottom of every page here at Cast Boolits, there is a clickable link to the "Cast Boolit Articles". One of these is my article on 'Speedcasting', which you may find of interest. There are other good writings there as well, on various subjects.

Welcome!

44man
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Do NOT use a tin can! The solder joints will melt and all the lead will leak out. Buy something made of cast iron or buy a Lee pot, they are cheap.

XRING363
11-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Nice Catch 44Man!! I read tin can and 40 year old memories of making rocket fuel on my Mothers gas stove came rushing back. I also learned a little about plastering ceilings that year!!
NO TIN CANS EVER!!

grouch
11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Small cheap stainless steel saucepans will work too.

Buckshot
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Small cheap stainless steel saucepans will work too.

...............Exactly. If you're married go take inventory of what your wife has in the cabinets. Stainless steel or cast iron only. She may also have a strainer spoon you can nab too. Don't go shopping in her cabinetes while she's home.

Now on the other hand, if you don't think you can lie well enough when she asks you if you'd seen the so and so and the other odds and ends, you'll have to go to the thrift store for'em.

None of this has to be real fancy to start out with. Just be safe about what hand me downs you use. Also remember that pot of alloy sitting there is very close to 800*, so be respectfull of it.

....................Buckshot

Hunter
11-28-2006, 01:50 AM
I have good luck with my Lyman molds needing no smoking or release agent. If the bullet sticks a little a gentle rap with my small rubber mallet to the handle hinge sets them loose. I smelt with a cast iron frying pan that holds almost 20 pounds of lead and is large enough to work the lead but managable enough to handle if need be with welders gloves of course.
I do use one of those large spoons with the slots for straining and it works great for getting out w-w clips out but leaving the lead behind.

d.thomson
11-28-2006, 08:07 AM
thanks every one for the great advice it has cleared up a few things. I just got my wife some new stainless cook were mabe she really hasnt tacken good inventory of it but if she sees it sitting on the colman stove I might as well call my shop home, Might not be to bad just put in a woodstove. I think I will just go the way of buying one for my self. Any whey thanks again Dave T.