PDA

View Full Version : Real or fake?

jerdog53
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
When you all talk about black what do you mean, Black or the fake stuff? Do all the loading prerequisites required with the fake stuff? The reason I ask is right now is it hard for me to find Black but the fake stuff is everywhere.

felix
11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
ONe of these days they might, just might, come up with a black powder that is a real black powder (perhaps minus the true color). Until then, I shoot only the real stuff, and that is once a year if I am lucky to muster the kids into doing ALL of the work. ... felix

wills
11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Powder inc. will ship as little as five pounds, the per pound price goes down with larger orders.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

44man
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Nothing is as good as REAL black powder. It is sad that so much fake stuff is finding it's way into stores. Some of it works OK with certain applications but none works for all like real black.

Old Ironsights
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
The only reason the Subs do so well is because it's a HUGE PITA to get an "explosives" Magazine/Retail License from the BATFE and most retailers (you know, the ones with min-wage employees) won't put up with the hassle of emptying the shelves every night &/or sending a runner out to the magazine for a can of 3F.

They don't have to do that with the Subs.

I talk about Black Powder, Brown Powder, Substitutes and Smokeless Powder...
but frankly, even Smokeless Powder is just another BP Substitute... ;)

jerdog53
11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I have always tried to use the "real thing". When I lived in rural WY I never had a problem getting the stuff but down here i cannot fine it anywhere. I never considdered ordering the stuff as I figured that the shipping would out price it.

Old Ironsights
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Not really. If you consider that 777 runs to $20+/lb and Graf or KIK BP runs as little as $8.10/lb, (Swiss considerably more) even after paying the shipping & Hazmat fees you are still only paying about $10-$15/lb for BP. You just have to do it in $300 orders...

If you go with a 5lb order from Powder Inc, it ups it to about equal to 777 in price.

Graf & Sons will let you order as little as 4 lbs : http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

Hazardous Materials
Q: What is your hazardous material fee?

A: A hazardous materials fee (haz mat fee) of $20 is charged to any ground order containing powder, primers, fuse or gun cleaning liquids over 1 quart. This fee is per package with a max gross weight of 70 lbs/package. Smokeless powder and primers can be combined (up to 50 lbs) under 1 haz mat fee. Black powder requires a separate fee and cannot be combined with any other hazardous materials.

Q: What is the minimum quantity of powder/primers I can order?

A: The minimum order of powder is 4 lbs. The minimum order for primers is 1,000 primers.

montana_charlie
11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
When you all talk about black what do you mean, Black or the fake stuff?
When somebody is talking about a BP substitute, he usually names the propellant.
When one of us says BP...you can bet it is the real stuff.

The reason I ask is right now is it hard for me to find Black but the fake stuff is everywhere.
You posted a picture of you shooting in a BPCR match, and you say you ae looking at doing that again in the Albuquerque area.

Those other shooters must know how to acquire BP, and I would bet one (or more) of them would be happy to go in with you on a 'bulk' purchase...which would defray the HazMat charge over several guys.

Even if guys wanted different brands or granulations, Powder Inc. (for instance) will allow 'mixtures' within a single order.
CM

shooter575
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Maine powder house sells in mixed lots.I buy Goex in 25lb keg lots[it is no longer in kegs,giant baggie in a cardboard box] for 240.00 From Back creek gun shop in Winchester Va. www.blackpowderva.com
You fellas using the fakes will be suprised when you try the real stuff.

longhorn
11-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Coonies in Hobbs--my supplier; google 'em for the phone number

August
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
If substitute powder was good, they wouldn't bother to continue making real gun powder!

John Boy
12-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Best prices I've found for Black Powder ...
Upper Missouri Trading Company (http://www.uppermotradingco.com/black_powder.html)
Of course, the creme de la creme is Swiss - made with Alder Blackthorn charcoal ... and so does Shuetzen

LIMPINGJ
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Like longhorn said. Just call Coonies 505-393-0166 and tell him what you need and when you will be there to pick it up.

piwo
12-01-2006, 11:28 AM
We chronographed an average of 94 fps difference between Goex FFFg and the pyrodex equivalent. This was with a rifle and a shotgun shooting patched ball. At different loads, the amount varied a bit, but averaged close to 100 fps slower.

Fake is slower to light, and slower in velocity. They claim its cleaner, but a well greased patch between shots, and hot water to finish cleaning cleans my kit up well. I see no advantage whatsoever is using it, just selling it is easier for the merchant.

PS: Sorry for this post in the Cartridge section. Been trying to read as many posts as possible, and probably should have abstained here....

EDK
01-13-2007, 07:19 PM
If you're interested in BPCR, check out what is going on at NRA's Whittington Center at Raton--isn't that where BPCR Nationals are held? There ought to be vendors peddling anything you want and/or need. There were GOEX representatives at the Quigley shoot in Montanal and I'd think they'd be at the Nationals for sure.