PDA

View Full Version : Leadsled FCX Range Report

leadman
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Due to issues with the spine in my neck I bought the Leadsled FCX from Cabela's.

Had problems filling the odd shaped bag with shot. First bag leaked shot so called the manufacturer, Battenfield and they sent a new bag. The bag has 3 compartments in it with a liner in it. The problem is the inner liner does not go up the fill spout, so I had to unstitch one side of the fill tube to get a plastic tube in the side compartments to fill them. Finally got it done and even though Battenfield says it holds 50 pounds, I could only get 38 pounds in it. There is room to lay another bag of shot on top of the custom bag if needed. Enough of the bad.

Now for the good. The FCX model has a lever to allow limited movement of the front rest. There is an upright portion that holds the butt of the rifle. I haven't fired a really hard recoiling rifle in it yet, but with light cast loads there is absolutely no recoil felt.

The moveable front rest works great! It has 2 front bags of different widths to accomodate different forends. The rest is comfortable to use and easy to get the rifle aimed correctly.

So if you have need of something like this take a look at this one.

twotrees
03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
There have been reports of split stocks using the Caldwell lead sled. Just de aware that the butt must move some, even if it is into a bag of shot behind the butt plate.

Glad you can get back to some shooting.

leadman
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I have asked many people who use Leadsleds at the range, none ever had a stock problem.

With my light loads of Unique I think this is a non-issue.

AZ-Stew
03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
There is room to lay another bag of shat on top of the custom bag if needed.

Strongly recommend that you use "shot", rather than "shat". You'll regret it if a bag ever leaks.

(Doesn't anyone ever proofread?)

That said, I'm with twotrees. Do yourself a favor and don't shoot rifles having wood stocks and recoil greater than that of a .25-06 from your Lead Sled. The rifle must move or you'll eventually break a stock at the wrist. I doubt you'll ever have this problem with synthetic stocks, but wood stocks are vulnerable.

Regards,

Stew

leadman
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Stew, could have been an "i" ! I do profread but I guess I can only catch so many of my "errors". Did you know what I meant?? I could have been spelling with a Boston accent!!

I doubt if I will fire full power loads with a gun that does not have a muzzle-brake on it as I can't fire it off the rest for hunting without a brake anymore. Sunday there were several of the Leadsleds with the fixed front rest in use at the range and I was watching but did not see them experience any stock problems. If a person thinks they might have an issue they can take all the shot bags off it and use it that way. It should move some then.
A person could find some foam or even a loose recoil pad to put between the stock and the rest to absorb the recoil and let the stock move.

Bad Water Bill
03-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Go to a shoe repair shop and get a pair of RUBBER heels. Fit them in in any fashion. Problem solved It has worked for me for a couple years now. [smilie=w:

AZ-Stew
03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Stew, could have been an "i" ! I do profread but I guess I can only catch so many of my "errors". Did you know what I meant?? I could have been spelling with a Boston accent!!

I'll accept the Boston accent excuse (That's a good one. Wish I had thought of it.). BTW, it didn't need to have an "i". Look up "shat". That's one word the moderators haven't programmed to revert to **** if you use it.

Yes, I knew what you meant. When I saw what you wrote I started laughing. Couldn't pass up a chance to comment on it. If you read much of what I write here, you'll find a lot of statements that appear to be a bit, shall we say, lacking in tact. They're really meant as humor. The only time I really come down on someone here is if they ask for load data, primer info, or other handloading basics that they should have learned from their reloading manual(s). Some of the newbees expect us to hold their hands through every little detail, when they should be studying on their own. The other thing that gets under my skin is people who repeatedly misspell words (one guy claimed to do it on purpose) or who use the wrong words in context (there, their, they're there're, or your and you're for example). There are plenty of on-line dictionaries. There is no excuse for not putting our best foot forward in the way we express ourselves. Not everyone who reads this forum is one of us or even a friend of ours. They will use our mistakes against us (we're a bunch o' uneducated rednecks, doncha know). :redneck:

Regards,

Stew

stubshaft
03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't know about uneducated rednecks but there are alot of COB's and I am proud to be among them!

Bad Water Bill
03-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't know about uneducated rednecks but there are alot of COB's and I am proud to be among them!

I couldn't agree more. When I attended school colour, catalogue etc would get you a 100% on Sister James Edwards spelling test. How times change as we get into our senile oops senior years.

Git over here Girty. Just might need your heels here in a minute[smilie=s:

AZ-Stew
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
They will use our mistakes against us (we're a bunch o' uneducated rednecks, doncha know).Stew

That was sarchasm aimed at those who are not our friends and who would use the bad grammar, poor spelling and punctuation that frequents this forum as PROOF that we're a bunch o' uneducated rednecks.

Regards,

Stew

Bad Water Bill
03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Stew Since people can NOT see the smile on my face as i type I generally put on some sort of :-) to let everyone see that I am funnin them. Besides do you think Girty could still get both heels in the air at the same time.:bigsmyl2:

Lee
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
"sarcasm" Doesn't anybody ever proofread anymore??:kidding:

AZ-Stew
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
"Sarchasm" illustrates the gap between us 'n' them.

That wasn't a proofreading error, it was a stupid misspelling. I usually use the spell checker to avoid those embarrassments. Missed one.

Regards,

Stew

tomf52
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
A layer of high density 1" foam in the butt plate socket of the Led Sled will take care of any stock splitting issues. Have had mine for two or three years now and no problem. A number of different high power cals fired through it.

leadman
03-17-2011, 01:04 AM
There is a rubber pad in the rear rest but with the loads I am using I am not going to worry about it.

I was a very good speller in school, many years ago. Now with the trauma, twitchy nerves, and arthritis and the fact my fingers don't point in the same directions they used to it is now usually typing errors. Not a big deal to me, I proofread and correct what my old eyes catch. As long as people can understand what I try to write and I can understand them I'm good.