PDA

View Full Version : Lyman handbook 46th edition ??

Jack Stanley
03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Since I don't have one to look into I'd thought Id ask one of you guys who might have the Lyman library . Is the forty-sixth edition laid out very much like the forty-fifth having both jacketed and cast loads ?

Also are the new edition books ( 49th I think ) laid out the same as well ??

Thanks , Jack

fryboy
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
i dont have #44 or #45 but if i remember right one of the two was the last spiral type bound ones , # 46 is my fav ( and sadly pretty dog eared ) #47 IMHO was almost as good but to me signaled the beginning of the end #'s 46- 49 are pretty much laid out the same , the print quality seems to of also slipped as did the pre-punched binder holes , from # 47 on they seem to of deleted much of the umm wildcat and older cartridges and slimmed down using mostly the newer and more popular calibers but they at least did add some modern data and components , the 46th if you can find a decent one reasonable is well worth it !!! ( and again IMHO the pick of the litter )

03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Jack Stanley,
I have the 45th through 48th editions and two handgun-specific editions and they all have jacketed and cast loads.

Loads became a lot tamer from the 46th on, but newer cartridges and powders were added. The 45th has some classic loads that are no longer published. Each serves a purpose, though.

Jack Stanley
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks , I have the forty-fifth and thought something like that format would be a good starter book for my nephew . The thought of the next issue or later was just to give a little update of what's available . I liked the explaination of how to start loading and thought it pretty easy to understand .

So perhaps I'll start shopping for one of those editions .

Jack

John Boy
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Jack, you would best to buy the new Lyman 4th Edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook ...
It has for the 1st time, the same reloading data as in all the Handbook series (ie 49th) but in the 4th Edition of the Cast book - there is loading data for bullets not made by Lyman!

Jack Stanley
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks JB ! I thought about getting one of those to update my old books .

Jack