PDA

View Full Version : CHRONOGRAPH for me getting to be a necessity

tackstrp
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
CHRONOGRAPH for me getting to be a necessity. Without one reading what some one stuck in a book for a powder ,a bullet weight and number of grains to guess at speed out of my guns is becoming unacceptable.

For the $90 price tag seems worthwhile to buy one. oh well one more thing to buy.

Von Gruff
03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I use mine for testing purposes and as a safety tool. In the case of J words I watch the progression of velocity and powder increments and when there begins to be less velocity gain for similar powder charge increases I see that as another in the range of pressure indicaters.

They are an interesting tool to have at your disposale and offer more insights into what is happening when you 'drop the hammer'.

Von Gruff.

August
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
My buddy and I shot the same load in our respective .308 rifles recently. His went 250 fps FASTER than the same loads in my rifle. Handbooks can only get you so far.

The single most important piece of data one needs when doing long range shooting is the starting velocity of the bullet. The only way to get that, out of a particular rifle, is with a chronograph.

I cannot imagine serious shooting without one.

I, too, got the least expensive Chony about ten years ago. It has served me well all that time.

One hint, don't shoot the chronograph.

RobS
03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
When trying to figure out loads it's nice, especially if there is no load data for a particular boolit or j-bullet.

*Paladin*
03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm also in the market for a chrono. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd love to hear some opinions on particular models in the $100 range. It'd help me and probably tackstrp out...

Von Gruff
03-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Mine is the F-1 Chrony and while it is about the most inexpensive model, it is more than adequate for what I need one to do for me. Set 10 ft from the muzzle I can read the screen and note down the speed on the pad I have the powder charge data on. I seen no need ( in my testing) for the multi faceted uses the up-rated chronies have. The F-1 has done and continues to be all that I need or could use.

Von Gruff.

*Paladin*
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks Von Gruff- The F1 is the one I'm thinking of getting. The price is right, but because you normally get what you pay for, I've been a little concerned that maybe it wasn't going to be good enough. Glad to hear it's served you well.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Where is the best place to get this Chrony?

*Paladin*
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Where is the best place to get this Chrony?

I know Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas both carry them. Usually they are in the $80-$90 range if I remember correctly.

AZ-Stew
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I know Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas both carry them. Usually they are in the $80-$90 range if I remember correctly.

Add Midway and Midsouth Shooter's Supply, and probably a few other mail order houses.

Regards,

Stew

L1A1Rocker
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Yep, a cronograph really is a necessity, especially if you are trying to hit that magic 1050 fps number. Be sure to get one that has the readout and circuitry on a cable that sits on the bench. Not only is it more convenient, it makes repair much cheaper if you should shoot the crono. . .

onondaga
03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Watch out for flying gas checks! they put little dents in the front of chronos. I have a print file for making new front labels!

Gary

Von Gruff
03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
There is only two reasons that a chrono is shot and that is that not enough time is taken to line it up correctly..............or wildly inacurate rifles. Set up and check, with the same dilligence as handloading and that will take care of half of the equation. Wildly inaccurate rifles have no need of the information from a chrono anyway. GC should not detatch or they are not up to doing thier job and as this will effect accuracy it should be attended to before velocity is looked at. If wads or sabots etc are being used that might detatch, or will detatch, then 20ft is a better distance, as I believe that the distance equates to about a fps per ft of distance.
:drinks:

Von Gruff.

JIMinPHX
03-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Please see my comments in post #10 on this thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=108592

Mk42gunner
03-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Chronographs can be a very useful tool. I bought an old Chrony from a retiring gunsmith, and have used it a few times. It was helpfurl when I was trying to devlop .32 Short colt loads to use in a No. 2 rolling block.

Do not get bent out of shape if a load that you have been using for years shows lower than book speeds. I made the mistake of chronographing some WW 150 power points from my old .30-06. They were about 200 fps slower than they should have been; did it matter? Not really, everything I have aimed that rifle at correctly has died in a most expeditious manner. Speed isn't everything.

Robert

GARCIA
03-14-2011, 06:21 AM
F1 pretty well meets my needs for what I do. Need a pretty good tripod or something similar to keep it from moving around.

Was shooting a 257STW across the screens and everytime I shot the tripod and chrono would tip over. Need a better,heavier one to secure it.

My boys have shot it a couple of times with .22's and it has dents and scratches but still works. Good thing is if you ever kill it they will repair/replace for a fairly decent price ($40?).

Tom

Bret4207
03-14-2011, 06:32 AM
I bought the bottom line Chrony. Used with an old camera tripod it's done ll I need. A friend had one back in th e90's that let us know most of the high dollar 9mm stuff was running just a little over 39 Special speeds (1000-1100 instead of advertised 12-1300 fps).

It not something you use all the time.

Rocky Raab
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
As a writer, my needs are different. But for MOST reloaders, a Shooting Chrony model is just fine. Do buy the best one you can afford, because you'll soon discover "needs" you had not even suspected before owning one. On-bench controls and readout are examples, and so is a printer. You'll forget to write down a LOT of results, believe me.

A few hints: Never shoot unless you can see a faint fuzzy line in the top of your scope from the sky diffuser. That guarantees you are lined up high enough to miss the unit. Replace those wire diffuser supports with bamboo cooking skewers; they snap without knocking your unit over, and are cheap. You can also cut better diffusers from gallon jugs. That milky plastic is perfect.

Finally, you'll get a lot of guys wanting to shoot their load over your chronograph. It's up to you, but don't count on that bozo paying to replace your machine after he blasts it. I demand $100 in cash as a deposit, in advance. Seriously.

tackstrp
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
only shoot handguns now. no gas checks. Yes know where to buy replacement part is important.

leadman
03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I had a gas check come off a 22 cal boolit and go almost all the way thru the display on an F-1 Chrony. Called Chrony and they exchanged it for a decent price for the next one up with the wired to the display on the bench.

I would recommend the bench mounted display as the power switch is in it also. Also Chrony said the sensors are not real expensive if you do shoot one.

RobS
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
For the flying GC issues, I've put a 1/4" piece of plexiglass, cut to fit, in front of my display screen. It also keeps the display looking new.

pdawg_shooter
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I have had one for years, a Pact. Used the heck out of it for about 6 months or so. Chronoed everything I shot. Now, I get it out maybe once a year or so to prove a point or when I change powder lots to adjust my charges. Outside of that it just collects dust. As for safety, a pressure tester would be a LOT better. Just because you can get one velocity with one powder doen't mean you can get the same velocity with a different powder.

AZ-Stew
03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Shoot from a sandbag rest, whether you're shooting handgun or rifle. be sure to look along the top of the barrel to be sure you're centered between the diffuser support rods, then look along the side of the barrel to be sure your line of flight will be above the sky screens (sensors).

I strongly suspect most chronographs are shot while firing offhand or from an "elbow" rest on the shooting bench. Put the firearm on bags and you'll likely be able to use it for many years without putting a hole in it.

Regards,

Stew