PDA

View Full Version : What Size Bullet?

ColColt
03-13-2011, 12:41 PM
It's been a long time since I've bought a mold and I'm looking at one now-a 158 gr SWCBB by Magma. The description under a photo of the bullet indicates .357-.358. I take it you can order the .357 or .358 from that but, does not much depend on the alloy you're using as to what actual size will drop from the mold? If it drops .358 using, say Lyman's #2, there's no room for resizing to .358". If you wanted to use a harder mix of say BHN 18 what size would it make? I don't know the criteria they or others use for determining the final pre-size diameters.

It seems I had problems with a Lyman mold years ago dropping a bullet the same size as I wanted it to be fully sized but can't recall the mold number or bullet. Back then I was using a mix of 50/50 lead and Linotype. It wasn't the 429421 as it was excellent.

RobS
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
This site will help make more sense of things:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

RobS
03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Calling Magma and asking what alloy they test their molds with will give you more insight to what their molds will cast out at with other alloys. Generally speaking, the more antimony in an alloy will result in larger as cast diameter. Others here may chime in on what their Magma molds are casting out at with certain alloys. What alloy are you planning on using? This info will help others in their responses.

ColColt
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
This site will help make more sense of things:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

That's a lot of material and most enlightening...definitely bookmarked.

What alloy are you planning on using?

I want to stay between BHN 12-15 as I don't forsee going over 1150 fps except the occasional 13.5 gr of 2400 with the 158 bullet. I don't know what it chronographs in a four inch barrel but probably close to 1200-just a guess. It's been quite a while since I've cast but long ago I used the 50/50 lead-Linotype. I don't know what BHN this is for sure-probably too hard for my current needs.

RobS
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
If you can find yourself some wheel weights you'll be set. Your mix of 50/50 lead-lino would possibly be a slight bit harder than Lyman #2 as there is more antimony but then less tin as well. What alloys do you have on hand?

ColColt
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I've got about 30 pounds of pure lead and a bunch(maybe the same amount) of Linotype. This Linotype is the real thing having come from old printer's shops back in the 70's when they were still setting type on the old German Kluge printer. Problem now is years ago I made up some one pound ingots using Lyman's trays and now I can't recall if that was my 50/50 mix or just one pound ingots of Linotype. I'd have to get a hardness tester to be sure. This is some of it.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3849.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3848.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3790.jpg

peerlesscowboy
03-13-2011, 06:59 PM
It seems I had problems with a Lyman mold years ago dropping a bullet the same size as I wanted it to be fully sized but can't recall the mold number or bullet.
Sounds like an ideal situation to me :D Use the next bigger nominal sizing die, it'll just touch the driving bands to seal so you are able to get the lube in the grooves.

John C. Saubak

runfiverun
03-13-2011, 10:01 PM
magma uses 2/6/92 for thier test alloy.
they are giving you a range they expect thier molds to make a boolit in.
that mold is pretty good i just don't like the bevel base it has, i went with the lyman converted to the master caster basically the same boolit just a flat base.
and later a 4 cav.
magma may offer it in a flat base now.

casterofboolits
03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I belive Magma is saying that you can size the boolit to either 357 or 358. I have two of the Magma 38-158-SWCBB moulds and they size to 358 with out a problem.

Bret4207
03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
It's been a long time since I've bought a mold and I'm looking at one now-a 158 gr SWCBB by Magma. The description under a photo of the bullet indicates .357-.358. I take it you can order the .357 or .358 from that but, does not much depend on the alloy you're using as to what actual size will drop from the mold? If it drops .358 using, say Lyman's #2, there's no room for resizing to .358". If you wanted to use a harder mix of say BHN 18 what size would it make? I don't know the criteria they or others use for determining the final pre-size diameters.

It seems I had problems with a Lyman mold years ago dropping a bullet the same size as I wanted it to be fully sized but can't recall the mold number or bullet. Back then I was using a mix of 50/50 lead and Linotype. It wasn't the 429421 as it was excellent.

If you want .358 boolits and it drops .358 boolits then you have absolutely no problem. Just run them through a.358 sizer and all will be right with the world. Any sizing introduces the chance for damage to the boolit IMO.

peerlesscowboy
03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
If you want .358 boolits and it drops .358 boolits then you have absolutely no problem. Just run them through a.358 sizer and all will be right with the world. Any sizing introduces the chance for damage to the boolit IMO.
I agree, better yet run 'em thru' a (359) sizing die.

RobS
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Problem now is years ago I made up some one pound ingots using Lyman's trays and now I can't recall if that was my 50/50 mix or just one pound ingots of Linotype. I'd have to get a hardness tester to be sure. This is some of it.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3849.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3848.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3790.jpg

The ingots if they are mixed 50/50 will be around 15 BHN and the Lino around 19BHN. Simply take yourself a bathroom scale and anything to make an impression and apply the same weight to each of your ingots. The ones with larger impressions will be your 50/50 mix and the ones with the smaller impressions will be your lino. If you want to get specific then go to a machine shop and find yourself a 5/32 ball bearing and then apply right at 60lbs of pressure and then measure the impression while using the chart I'm attaching below. My dad uses his drill press and places the ingots on the scale. He lowers down the press onto the 5/32 ball bearing which is on top of the ingot and applies pressure until the scale reads 60 lbs. He'll hold for 30 to 60 seconds, takes the ingot out and measures.

44magLeo
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Generally the lino will be a bit more shiny. the 50-50 will be greyer.

ColColt
03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I've noticed on ebay that lots of folks have different metals for sale...Linotype, tin, lead ingots, wheel weights. I don't know to the truthfulness about these or if they really know what they have but the prices are not too bad.

I don't think I cold tell Linotype from 50/50 really. Maybe a lead hardness tester would be more accurate but I'm sure, more expensive. I'm wondering if shooting a 1/2" or so staple into the different ingots ingots and measuring the distance it may go in-rather, what's sticking out, would tell me anything?

Cranium
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm wondering if shooting a 1/2" or so staple into the different ingots ingots and measuring the distance it may go in-rather, what's sticking out, would tell me anything?

That is exactly how a hardness tester works but you would not receive accurate results by using a stapler.
You can't guarantee the stapler would be able to apply the same force to each staple You have nothing to compare the results to (except one staple went in deeper) You would likely sink your staples in all the way resulting in no usable data for soft lead

A BHN from Lee is only $50 if you want to more accurately test yourself.

Bret4207
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
If you're going to blow $50.00 on that Lee "tester" you might as well go the extra bucks and get a Cabine Tree or LBT.

RobS
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Or simply go and get a 7 cent 5/32 ball bearing and do what I suggested with a bathroom dial scale and should a person have a drill press it's even easier.