PDA

View Full Version : 1873 WIn 38-40

69daytona
03-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Guys. I have a 1873 Winchester Deluxe in 38-40, just got it from a family member and would like to know if I can get a letter on it from Winchester and where to send off to get it.
Very nice wood and checkering, full length tube under octagon barrel.

Also got a Win 10 gauge Lever action I think its a 1901 still in very nice shape.

If they are worth it and wont hurt the value I plan on sending them to Doug Turnbull to have them refinished.

John Traveler
03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Try the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming. You will need to do a web search for the address.

They are caretakers of the former Winchester Firearms collection and have all the production records.

Congratulations on owning two choice samples of American classic firearms!

69daytona
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks. Now to get them cleaned up and make sure they are in working condition.

Lonegun1894
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Just make sure you do your research before you refinish anything. Often times, these guns are worth much more in their original state than they are after refinishing. Having said that, they are your guns, and yours to do with as you choose, but just wanted to let you know just in case you hadn't been told about possible value loss after refinishing. Congrats on getting them, wish I could find a few like that.

03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
"If they are worth it and wont hurt the value I plan on sending them to Doug Turnbull to have them refinished."

Twice cautioned. If they are in decent shape, sending them to Turnbull (nothing against Turnbull) for refinish will decrease their value and they will not increase in value over time any more than a Remington 700 made last year. A careful cleaning of the wood and metal parts and re-oiling metal parts only that doesn't remove or alter any finish will not hurt the value and may be important preserving their value.

August
03-13-2011, 04:45 PM
The 10 guage is probably a model 1887 Winchester.

Cody museum is your huckleberry.

Please don't refinish the guns. They will not "look" better to a trained eye and their value will be significantly reduced. Significantly !!!

Marvin S
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Third caution on the refinish. They look better in their street clothes anyway.

Jon K
03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
value="people pay good money for patina"

and they sell faster. Turnbull guns are pretty, but sell slow.

Your gun, so bottom line is if you're happy with a refinfished gun, nothing else matters.

Have Fun,

Jon

69daytona
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
That is why I turned here to see what you all had to say. Never owned a rifle this old in this nice of shape. I will be calling the cody museum today to get the paper work on both of these.
Thanks for your help and information.

03-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Good! May cost you a $100 or so for the "Factory Letters" but will add both to the value and to the history- family things that go beyond $value that can be kept for the future. Thanks for adding picture. Good looking guns! If it has a good sharp bore that 73 is a fairly high dollar rifle. You can go to sites like: Winchester Way, Tapaderas Winchesters, Merz Antiques, etc. to get an idea of what you may have. Might be surprised. :)

9.3X62AL
03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
If the '73's bore is in good shape and the action is mechanically sound, I would be loading some 1880s-level 38-40 WCF ammo with cast bullets for that rifle. I enjoy a '73 in 44-40 made in 1897 VERY much.

69daytona
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
The bore is perfect with nice sharp rifling and very shiny bore. took 2 days to clean all the oil that had coagulated in the barrel but I guess that is what saved it. all the wood is in great shape with nice sharp checkering still, same with the butt plate.
The 1901 is in as good a shape as the 1873 no rust and everything works as it should, Hard to tell if its a black powder gun by looking at the barrel, But wont be shooting it until I find out and start loading shotgun shells for BP. Can you buy BP shells for this still???

northmn
03-14-2011, 01:19 PM
FYI I saw a 38-40 73 sell at an auction for $1500 in original condition. I would also leave the shotgun alone.

DP

August
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Can you buy BP shells for this still???

Goex Black Dawg makes bp cartridges in this caliber. Cabelas used to carry them, but I'd steer you to Buffalo Arms or Powder Inc. in case Cabelas no longer has them available.

03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
69daytona,
You can go here and find the DOM on your guns. http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

"The bore is perfect with nice sharp rifling and very shiny bore."

Always too many iffs without looking closely, in hand at details like original parts, original finish, etc..... but regarless of whether it is a 1st, 2nd or 3rd model 73 that rifle, I still say, looks high dollar. The factory letter on it should list most of the details like special order wood, pistol grip stock, checkering, other options and of course original caliber. Some factory letters reveal little added info while some do because at the time Winchester sent it out for shipment the person filling out the paperwork may or may not have added all the details. If the factory letter appears to match what you are looking at in hand... then that adds even more to the value. Top condition Winchesters with special order or deluxe features that match the factory letter are high dollar. Go to those sites I suggested and look at the retail on similar guns. I'll say it again, you might be surprised.

69daytona
03-14-2011, 07:28 PM
The 1873 was made in 1885 its a 3rd Generation. Will be sending off for the letter on both this friday.
The 1887 was made in 1896 so it has to be a black powder shot gun. Oh well something new to learn to load for.
Thank You all for the help in pointing me in the right directions.

hydraulic
03-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I sold my .38-40 Model 73, average condition i.e., solid wood, good bore, some blue on receiver, for $2500. The description of your rifle places it, in my estimation, at $3500 to $5000. You could send it to Trumbull, pay him several hundred and your rifle would then be worth about $700 to $1000.

KirkD
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I strongly encourage you not to get your '73 deluxe restored. It will cut the value in half or worse.

69daytona
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Already planned on not getting either one restored after talking to the nice people on this board. After I get it inspected and appraised I do plan on reloading for it. Now to find brass and dies and reloading information for it. Going to look for some Black Powder 10 gauge shells too.
Might take it duck hunting this year just to see how it will do.

KirkD
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Good decision. Those look like two beautiful old Winchesters, with their history silently spoken in their appearance.

John Taylor
03-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I get this question quite often about restoring old guns. In your case I would have to agree with the others not to do anything. I get lots of old Winchesters in with shot out bores and cut off barrel and people ask if it will hurt the collector value to fix them. Most collectors would not buy a rifle in that condition unless they could get it cheap and have it restored. I once was sent a Colt Bisly that had seven bullets stuck in the bore. The barrel had been beat on and heated to the point that all the color case was missing on the front half of the frame. I found another used barrel in very good condition and told the owner I was sending the frame out to get the color case redone and his first remark was that it would ruin the collector value. I had to laugh, told him guns that have been through a fire usually don't have very high collector value. When it was all done he had invested about $1200 ( including the cost of purchase ) into a pistol that was now worth about $2500 +.
Turnbull restorations are very good and can bring the same value as some originals, depends on what a collector is looking for.
I'm in the business of repairing/replacing barrel on old guns. The amount of barrels I do for early Winchester model 70s would surprise you. If you see a model 70 for sale and it looks like new, most likely it has been rebuilt.
Some of the rifles sent in look like they were pulled form a garbage can. There are people out there that will buy anything that is old no matter what the condition and try to have it restored. I have two 73s in the shop now that have so much pitting that I don't think anything can be done with the frames. Good thing that's not my department, all I'm doing is making new barrels for them.

cajun shooter
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
If your 10 ga shotgun was made in 1896 then that would make it a 1887. The shotgun was designed by the master JMB. They were offered in both 12 and 10 ga. until 1901 The shotgun was then brought out as a updated model in 10 ga. only and called the 1901.

bslim
03-25-2011, 08:57 PM
You have a nice pair of history.Why in God's name would you want to refinish them? Leave history as it is, don't try to change what was not meant to be changed.